Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

That election thing

That election thing

Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default That election thing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...340833,00.html

Apparantly there is an election happening south of here soon

64% (of Canadians polled) want to see Mr Kerry triumph, while only 19% would prefer to see Mr Bush remaining in office.

The public's strong emotional reaction to Mr Bush is shared by some elected politicians. As US-led forces prepared to invade Iraq last year, the Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish said: "Damn Americans. I hate those bastards." She later apologised.

Her remarks were extreme, and not a reflection - according to the polls - of how Canadians feel about ordinary Americans. It is President Bush and his administration they dislike.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:07 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: That election thing

Originally Posted by iaink
It is President Bush and his administration they dislike.
I doubt that very much. Lots of lefties hate Americans - certainly in England - and they like to try to justify it by claiming it's the administration in power at the time.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:11 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Rhodes
I doubt that very much. Lots of lefties hate Americans - certainly in England - and they like to try to justify it by claiming it's the administration in power at the time.
I got a lecture last week from a guy I work with about how great George Bush was and how wonderful the 'War against Terror" was.

I used to be a member of the Conervative party in the UK ... the guy made me feel like a bleeding heart liberal.

I started the discussion by noting that the BBC had said that Iraqi civilians were now 58 times more likely to die violently than when Sadaam was oppressing them ... don't you know that you "have to suffer to win freedom"?

Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:14 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I know what you mean, but I am heartened to learn that not everyone in Canada is a bleeding heart liberal.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:16 pm
Glaswegian

I know what you mean, but I am heartened to learn that not everyone in Canada is a bleeding heart liberal.
Alberta is about as conservative as you get here ... our local MP is Stephen Harper ... gives you a clue.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:19 pm
Once bemused

Malheureusement, I'm going to end up in Ontario. Sure I'll get used to it, and the awful PC language. Oh, and the crappy newspapers. I'll miss my Telegraph.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Alberta is about as conservative as you get here ... our local MP is Stephen Harper ... gives you a clue.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:38 pm
Glaswegian

Malheureusement, I'm going to end up in Ontario. Sure I'll get used to it, and the awful PC language. Oh, and the crappy newspapers. I'll miss my Telegraph.
I couldn't live in Ontario ... too liberal for my tastes.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:50 pm
Once bemused

we're the next generation of Canadians and we'll do it our own way
Or something like that. I'm going to convert them.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Provincial politics wise Ontario was Conservative for a very long time, only recently changing to a liberal government who have reneged on a lot of promises, which will probably result in a return to the conservatives next time around. (Ontario conservative is not even close to Alberta conservative though)

Daily Telegraph is available online, so you neednt miss it. Good sports coverage

Liberal politics is one of the things that makes canada canada IMO. otherwise its just like the US in many respects.

I would agree with the journalist that most canadians have no problem with individual americans, but that GWB would not be missed if he looses, I think the gung ho attitude and arrogance thing goes against the canadian grain.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 1st 2004 at 5:15 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Believe it - it's true! Canadians don't generally like Bush, but that doesn't mean that they don't like Americans on an individual basis.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 1st 2004 at 5:55 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:01 pm
Once bemused

Pinkos here (usually rude, fairly wealthy Guardian readers) don't necessarily dislike individual Americans, but they often dislike America(ns) as a whole. they'll always find sometimes to hang their hypocrisy on. Similarly, they disguise their anti-Semitism (which also seems particularly prevalent amongst the left) by claiming that it is a dislike of some of Israel's more controversial policies.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Liberal politics is one of the things that makes canada canada IMO. otherwise its just like the US in many respects.

That's the strange contradiction about the US. They supposedly value "Freedom" yet reject "Liberalism"
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:32 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flashman
That's the strange contradiction about the US. They supposedly value "Freedom" yet reject "Liberalism"
From their perspective, it's no contradiction. Read it this way: they want the "freedom" to spend their money the way they see fit, and not be forced to fund "liberalism" through their taxes.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sure I'll get used to it, and the awful PC language. Oh, and the crappy newspapers.
What awfull PC language? Am I so used to it now I dont even notice? I dont ever remember noticing though when I first landed, but perhaps thats from living on merseyside while Derek Hatton was busy changing all the "manhole covers" to "access covers" to avoid offense!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yep, the reason his party didn't get my vote this year......I was almost convinced until I heard some of the policies concerning women and social issues........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.