Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

EI--------would somebody be able to explain this in simple terms?

EI--------would somebody be able to explain this in simple terms?

Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default EI--------would somebody be able to explain this in simple terms?

I am employed in various capacities mainly casual but one role does employ me for 75% of my working time. Its a little unusual in that I am classed as full time / hourly however due to the nature of the work I get very few hours in the winter months, particularly Jan / Feb. This is both due to the weather and due to clients getting back to a slow start over the holidays. My HR are all above board in that deductions are made for CPP, tax, EI etc.

Slow months in Jan / Feb suit me as my other lines of work also suffer at this time due to demand so I normally escape and go traveling. With no work forthcoming and the onslaught of winter its an ideal situation as long as I budget accordingly throughout the year and by traveling I'm talking shoestring backpacking etc.

I've been employed here for 3 years and have not applied for any EI nor even CERB, as I managed to ride through the Covid situation. However it has got me thinking about next Jan / Feb, if I could apply for EI but I have no idea how it works. Is it a case of the more years you pay into it then it is available to take back as an emergency? The longer you have paid in the longer the access (pot) you have available. Or if you work 10 months per year is it feasible to claim it yearly for the two shoulder months where it is quiet?

I hope that makes sense and I am grateful for any constructive comments.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EI--------would somebody be able to explain this in simple terms?

Originally Posted by Lamin
I am employed in various capacities mainly casual but one role does employ me for 75% of my working time. Its a little unusual in that I am classed as full time / hourly however due to the nature of the work I get very few hours in the winter months, particularly Jan / Feb. This is both due to the weather and due to clients getting back to a slow start over the holidays. My HR are all above board in that deductions are made for CPP, tax, EI etc.

Slow months in Jan / Feb suit me as my other lines of work also suffer at this time due to demand so I normally escape and go traveling. With no work forthcoming and the onslaught of winter its an ideal situation as long as I budget accordingly throughout the year and by traveling I'm talking shoestring backpacking etc.

I've been employed here for 3 years and have not applied for any EI nor even CERB, as I managed to ride through the Covid situation. However it has got me thinking about next Jan / Feb, if I could apply for EI but I have no idea how it works. Is it a case of the more years you pay into it then it is available to take back as an emergency? The longer you have paid in the longer the access (pot) you have available. Or if you work 10 months per year is it feasible to claim it yearly for the two shoulder months where it is quiet?

Not quite.

If you qualify for EI, you qualify for it. You don't get increased amounts because you have paid into it for years and haven't made a claim (most people pay into it for all of their working lives and never make a claim). To qualify, you need to have worked a certain number of hours in the qualifying period and you then need to be laid off by your employer. You then need to be able to state that you are ready, willing and able to take other work.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Employment insurance is only payable if you lose your job.. (unless you are a seasonal worker, such as a fisherman / crop picker etc.,); it's not a scheme where you can get paid money for a month or two when your hours are lower. You would be expected to adjust your savings to adapt to those kinds of working conditions - or seek secondary employment.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:
  • were employed in insurable employment;
  • lost your job through no fault of your own;
  • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
If you have been laid off or had your hours reduced due to COVID you should apply for CERB - https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...plication.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 16th 2020 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My husband claims EI every year. He gets laid off around March as there isn't enough work and then goes back to work in September.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My husband claims EI every year. He gets laid off around March as there isn't enough work and then goes back to work in September.
My B-i-L is a Heavy Equipment operator and does a similar thing.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
it's pretty common. I think the form,? ROE? Says "laid off due to lack of work"

Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

it's pretty common. I think the form,? ROE? Says "laid off due to lack of work"

Yes because they are LAID OFF - i.e. let go (temporarily) and thus can qualify. But it has to be done correctly.. i.e. the employer has to notify you in writing that you are laid off and submit an ROE https://stlawyers.ca/blog-news/need-...orary-layoffs/

The OP didn't mention that they receiive a temporary lay off notice from all of their employers each year, only that they choose not to work at that time as hours were low....

Originally Posted by Lamin

Old Jun 17th 2020, 7:37 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yes because they are LAID OFF - i.e. let go (temporarily) and thus can qualify. But it has to be done correctly.. i.e. the employer has to notify you in writing that you are laid off and submit an ROE https://stlawyers.ca/blog-news/need-...orary-layoffs/

The OP didn't mention that they receiive a temporary lay off notice from all of their employers each year, only that they choose not to work at that time as hours were low....
I see what you're saying. The employer would probably fill out the ROE as a lay off.. that said you can't go travelling, you have to be available. Husband doesn't claim for the time we go away.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

My cousins in Nova Scotia used to call it "Lotto 10/42", i.e. work for 10 weeks a year then claim UI for the rest.

I expect it's been tightened up a bit since, but probably not by enough.