EI & CPP

Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:16 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default EI & CPP

As a temporary worker, my OH pays money into the above each week. Is he actually eligable to claim EI if he was laid off? Also, should we leave Canada (unlikely) what would happen to the money paid into the CPP?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EI & CPP

As a temporary resident I dont think you are eligiable for either. You are basically helping to bankrole those who are eligiable. Not 100% sure about the CPP though.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:44 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As a temporary resident I dont think you are eligiable for either. You are basically helping to bankrole those who are eligiable. Not 100% sure about the CPP though.
So can we ask to not pay EI, like self employed people or will they just laugh at our request?!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
So can we ask to not pay EI, like self employed people or will they just laugh at our request?!!
I'm self-employed. I don't pay EI. My accountant told me I have no chance of being able to claim on it. CPP is a tax, not a savings plan. I don't think the choice is yours on that one.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No chance I suspect, its a legal requirement for employers to pay it.... no matter what dbb says.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

As a temporary worker, my OH pays money into the above each week. Is he actually eligable to claim EI if he was laid off? Also, should we leave Canada (unlikely) what would happen to the money paid into the CPP?

Thanks
It would appear that yes he is eligible for EI.

Originally Posted by Governement web site

Employment Insurance (EI) provides temporary income support during periods of unemployment. Temporary foreign workers must meet the same eligibility requirements as Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Balance here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...ceie_tfw.shtml
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Thanks Steve, that rings a distant bell. Perhaps its welfare Im thinking about...

I was thinking about the CPP thing too. The money is associated with your SIN, and the balance transfered to your new account when you get PR (and a new non 9xx SIN).

Now, if you leave, Im not sure what happens to your balance, I suspect you lose it, but if you stay you will get credit for those contributions when you reach retirement age...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:52 pm

Many thanks gents! Saves me a no doubt complicated telephone to Revenue Canada!

Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Thanks Steve, that rings a distant bell. Perhaps its welfare Im thinking about...

I was thinking about the CPP thing too. The money is associated with your SIN, and the balance transfered to your new account when you get PR (and a new non 9xx SIN).

Now, if you leave, Im not sure what happens to your balance, I suspect you lose it, but if you stay you will get credit for those contributions when you reach retirement age...
I can't find anything about return of CPP contributions either so I agree with you, I think you may just lose them if you leave.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:58 pm

Just an after thought, as I can't seem to see where it mentions this on the link Steve gave me, how many hours do have to have worked before you can claim EI?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an after thought, as I can't seem to see where it mentions this on the link Steve gave me, how many hours do have to have worked before you can claim EI?
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/e...r.shtml#Number
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
EI

As Steve_P has already said, EI benefits are available to temporary foreign workers. The eligibility criteria are the same as they are for citizens and PRs.

Employees must pay EI and it is the employer's responsibility to deduct EI premiums and remit these (together with the employer's contribution) to the CRA. Self-employed people do not pay EI, and are not entitled to EI benefits.

CPP

CPP contributions are not lost. Payments are based on contributions made, but anyone who has made at least one CPP contribution is entitled to claim their benefit. Your status while you are in Canada, and your country of residence when you claim are irrelevant. The important thing is that you must claim your benefit - it is not paid automatically.

Employers are required to deduct CPP contributions from all employees. Self employed people calculate the CPP they must pay when they complete their tax returns.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

Even teenages who work pt job here have to pay EI even though a teenager can not claim or collect EI as they are too young.

Island Girl
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Even teenages who work pt job here have to pay EI even though a teenager can not claim or collect EI as they are too young.

Island Girl
I never thought there was any lower age limit on claiming EI.

There a couple of reasons why they may not qualify but I didn't think age came into it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:10 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Island_Girl

Island Girl
If they work the qualifying 700 hours (which is a lot for a PT student) and are in regular employment (not a student) they can claim, so they would end up having to be over 16.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.