Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Education in Ontario/British Columbia

Education in Ontario/British Columbia

Old Nov 18th 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

elaine27 has a brilliant futureelaine27 has a brilliant futureelaine27 has a brilliant futureelaine27 has a brilliant futureelaine27 has a brilliant futureelaine27 has a brilliant future
Default Education in Ontario/British Columbia

Hi this is my first post. I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts yet so apologies if I am asking a question that's already been answered already.

We are planning on making the move to Canada next year. At the moment we are not sure exactly where we are going but it will probably be either Ontario or British Columbia, dependent on job offers for my husband. We have 2 girls, the older one is currently in P2. Just wondered if anyone could give me any idea on the schooling in Ontario and British Columbia. Is the education system similar to the UK? Is there much difference in the quality of education offered in different provinces?

My little girl is currently learning to read and write using the "Jolly Phonics" system. Is this used in Canada or do they learn the "old" way?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education in Ontario/British Columbia

Originally Posted by elaine27
Hi this is my first post. I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts yet so apologies if I am asking a question that's already been answered already.

We are planning on making the move to Canada next year. At the moment we are not sure exactly where we are going but it will probably be either Ontario or British Columbia, dependent on job offers for my husband. We have 2 girls, the older one is currently in P2. Just wondered if anyone could give me any idea on the schooling in Ontario and British Columbia. Is the education system similar to the UK? Is there much difference in the quality of education offered in different provinces?

My little girl is currently learning to read and write using the "Jolly Phonics" system. Is this used in Canada or do they learn the "old" way?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
At that young age she will settle in quickly to any education system. Canada primary (elementary) starts one year later than England, but not sure about Scotland.

Education in Canada is administered at provincial level, so BC and ONT have slightly different systems, but there is unlikely to be any difference on quality per system. Quality of school is often dictated by affluence of catchment area.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:13 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is with the middle and higher achievers while with low achievers there's not much ascertainable difference. The emphasis seems to be placed far more on the well-being/support of the teachers rather than the pupils.

The Canadian economy is largely based on resources and commodities rather than technology and innovation, so while they do an adequate job for their needs don't expect much in the way of urgency or competition.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The difference is with the middle and higher achievers while with low achievers there's not much ascertainable difference.
...meaning ??
Old Nov 19th 2012, 1:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...meaning ??
They [Canadian education systems] don't provide very challenging and stimulating educational curricula.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your youngest? It may be that she's not of Canadian school age.

This may give you some info - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Education-Canada
Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:28 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
They [Canadian education systems] don't provide very challenging and stimulating educational curricula.
That seems a bit of a generalisation. Have you had a look at what can constitute an A level in Britain these days? Plenty of well off Korean and Chinese grade-school students in Canada these days, and that wouldn't be the case if the education system was as lacklustre as you suggest.

Agree that the economy is largely resource based, but there are clusters of technological excellence. It's going through a rough patch, but RIM/Blackberry and the KW region are surely world class, as are the computer games sectors in Vancouver and Toronto.

Last edited by Shard; Nov 19th 2012 at 10:32 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Hi
We have recently moved to Vancouver Island and we have a son who has just started P4 at home in Scotland before we moved here. He's in Grade 3 here. The school system seems very relaxed compared to what we are used to. He says he is doing stuff he already knew so there isn't any challenge for him at present.
The class is smaller and he is enjoying school. Not any homework like we would be getting at home in Scotland. I think he misses this aspect as he loves to learn.
The school staff are very approachable and are happy that our son has settled well and is happy. I suppose that's all we can ask at this stage.
At his old school he did get learning support to support his high reading ability. This is not available here.
This is our initial impressions. At least the kids (we have an older one in middle school) feel settled quickly and have made lots of friends. They don't stand out too much as there are so many cultures in school.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:36 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi
We have recently moved to Vancouver Island and we have a son who has just started P4 at home in Scotland before we moved here. He's in Grade 3 here. The school system seems very relaxed compared to what we are used to. He says he is doing stuff he already knew so there isn't any challenge for him at present.
The class is smaller and he is enjoying school. Not any homework like we would be getting at home in Scotland. I think he misses this aspect as he loves to learn.
The school staff are very approachable and are happy that our son has settled well and is happy. I suppose that's all we can ask at this stage.
At his old school he did get learning support to support his high reading ability. This is not available here.
This is our initial impressions. At least the kids (we have an older one in middle school) feel settled quickly and have made lots of friends. They don't stand out too much as there are so many cultures in school.
Did you have the option to place your son in Grade 4 (given his advanced skills) or was he required to go into Grade 3.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

It seemed to go on his age. I can't remember if it was given as an option. I thought he would be better with his age group as in times to come he would not be the same age as the others in his group e.g. Drivers license
He does seem a bit bored as nothing is new to him yet. I have spoken with his teacher and he is in the top groups academically. I think they advise the children to go to the computer and research stuff if they have finished. I think he may become a researcher!!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:56 am
Yo

Yes at least it's possible to do a lot of self-learning with computers these days. No homework at elementary/primary is not a bad thing, it's really more trouble than it's worth.