Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton and Winnipeg

Edmonton and Winnipeg

Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Edmonton and Winnipeg

I'm likely to be visiting Edmonton and Winnipeg later this month, exploring whether or not to move from the UK to live in either.

Will be looking at areas to live generally, houses if possible, schools if anyone is still around out of term as well as fitting in a few days of lakes/mountains etc for three primary age children.

Potential job locations would be north west Edmonton or south west Winnipeg.

Most important would be access to good schools. Ideally would choose to live where houses are in decent sized plot (1/4 acre) in reasonably established area (1970's maybe).

For the lakes/mountains aspect of the visit does anyone know of any smallish resort type places why children get explore do some canoeing etc?

I've done a certain amount of research on climate, houses on www.mls.ca etc. Looks like summers can be warm to hot in both places but winters are quite long and cold.

Would be interested to hear suggestions on what to look for where to go etc to get a real sense of what it would be like to live in these places. I know there is info on the Wiki etc but its the personal insights that would be most interesting.

In my line of work it would be very straightforward to work in Australia and I do wonder sometimes if that would be a better option. There are the obvious comparisons of climate and location to be made but it would be interesting to hear personal insights from anyone who has first hand experience of both.

Postings much appreciated
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton and Winnipeg

HOUSING

Originally Posted by jimf
Will be looking at areas to live generally, houses if possible
It'll be easy for you to look at houses. I don't know any real estate salespeople in Edmonton, but a member of this forum, MBRealtor (Stewart Mann) is a British expat and a realtor in Winnipeg. He has contributed some very useful information to the Wiki articles about Housing.

schools if anyone is still around out of term
They'll be closed, no one will be in them, and you will not be able to look around.

TOURISTY STUFF
as well as fitting in a few days of lakes/mountains etc for three primary age children
It would be nice if you could spare, say, three days to go to Jasper while you're in Edmonton. Jasper is a resort town in a gorgeous setting in the Rocky Mountains. Depending on your starting point in Edmonton, it takes 3.5 - 4 hours to drive to Jasper. You can go white water rafting or river floating in Jasper (this would require a time commitment of half a day). Your kids also might enjoy visiting Miette Hot Springs (you also would need to budget about half a day for this attraction).

Your family might enjoy visiting Elk Island National Park, which is 45 minutes' drive east of Edmonton.

West Edmonton Mall includes a waterpark and an amusement park.

When it comes to touristy, travel type information, I recommend the Wiki articles on the TripAdvisor forum. For example:

Jasper Accommodation

Banff National Park Clothing (information is equally applicable to Jasper) - Note, it's not inconceivable that you could experience temperatures close to +40 deg C in Winnipeg and close to freezing in the mountains. That may not happen, but you should be prepared. The TripAdvisor Wiki article explains the layers you should pack.

Jasper National Park Dining Scene

SCHOOLS

Most important would be access to good schools.
In my opinion, you don't have to worry about this unduly (unless you have a special needs child, in which case more thorough research is warranted). Generally speaking, there isn't a huge difference from one school to another. Yes, there are differences, obviously. But, if your children are attending a school in a decent, middle class neighbourhood, the quality of their schooling is not going to be so very different from the quality of the schooling in the adjacent neighbourhood that also is a decent, middle class neighbourhood.

At one point I did a lot of research into this. I looked at the Fraser Institute's School Report Cards for Calgary, the Calgary Police Service's Community Crime Statistics, and what I knew about Calgary neighbourhoods from living in this city for 27 years. I found that the different kinds of information were highly congruent. That is, a neighbourhood that "felt" nice (that had children playing in the playgrounds, people walking their dogs, neatly mowed lawns) also had a school that ranked highly according to the Fraser Institute's criteria and that had a low crime rate according to the CPS's statistics. From conversations with other people in other parts of Canada, I gather this phenomenon is fairly common across the country.

Another thing that will help you is that a real estate salesperson worth his/her salt knows about schools in his/her city. If you find such a person for each city you're visiting it will help you a lot.

In my opinion, it's not worth researching schools in greater depth at this point. After all, you haven't even finally decided which country you're going to move to, much less which city you're going to move to. I've lived in Australia, and I've lived in Canada. What I've seen of schooling in both countries has led me to believe that standards are broadly similar. In my opinion, the Australian schooling system requires students to think a bit more deeply than the Canadian one does. But the difference is not big enough that I would use that as a measure by which to choose a country. The education systems in both countries are commensurate with those in other First World countries. (Also, I should clarify that state education systems differ slightly in Australia, just as provincial education systems differ slightly in Canada. My kids' experience was of the State of Victoria in Australia and of the Province of Alberta in Canada.)

COMPARISON BETWEEN AUSTRALIA AND CANADA

I found the ethos of Australia quite similar to that of Canada, and vice versa.

But in both countries the social atmosphere differs from region to region. The Australian city in which I lived, Melbourne, had what might be described as a kind and gentle approach to life. I would say the atmosphere felt to me like the atmosphere I often have experienced on the British Columbia coast. As one moved into the interior of Australia and further north, into Queensland (especially in the smaller towns), attitudes tended to harden. People tended to be more "rednecked" (for want of a better word).

One forum member who has been to all four places has said that Vancouver reminds her a little bit of Melbourne, and Victoria, BC reminds her of Adelaide (insofar as one is a larger coastal city and the other is a smaller coastal city).

Australia doesn't really have a city that is comparable to Edmonton or Winnipeg, in that it doesn't have a city of that size in its interior.

On BE forums (Australia, Canada and Moving back to the UK), I've sometimes seen comments to the effect that Australians have a chip on their shoulder towards British people. I'm not British, and I personally did not experience that "chip on shoulder" attitude, so it's difficult for me to comment on it. We had Scottish, English and Irish friends in Australia, however, and they integrated easily into Australian life.

An English friend in Melbourne told me how, when she and her family were new to Australia, they went out for a Sunday drive along the Great Ocean Road. They pulled onto the side of the road for a picnic, and found that an Australian family had pulled into the same spot ahead of them. The Australian family insisted that they share their picnic lunch with them. After lunch one member of the Australian family, who was from New Zealand, taught everyone how to do the haka.

I must say that we had similar experiences. We found ourselves in situations in which there would be an Australian family with a picnic basket, a flask of tea (and in one case china cups and saucers), and they'd insist that we have a cup of tea and a slice of cake with them. Okay, we aren't British. But what I'm saying is that my English friend in Melbourne reported virtually identical experiences when it came to Australian people's reactions to her and her family.

I also found that Australian people had a dry sense of humour. Sometimes they'd say something that sounded almost insulting, with a perfectly straight face. My brother, who had lived in Australia for many years before I got there, warned me about this. He said, "When they do that, they're just taking the piss." Whenever an Australian did this to me (which I must admit was rare), I'd wink and say something that made it obvious I understood they were taking the piss. Then they'd break into a smile and say something that indicated to me that I'd passed the test.

From what I've learned on this forum about "British humour," I suspect that aspect of Australian humour actually is an inheritance from the UK.

I've done a certain amount of research on climate
You cannot do enough research on climate.

The climate in most of Canada is much colder in winter than it is in most of Australia. The winter in Canada also is much longer. Research doesn't tell you what that's like. You have to experience it. And not just for a year or two or three, but for decades.

Not all Australian houses are well designed to cope with winter. It's the same in South Africa, where my husband comes from and where I have lived. When we lived in Melbourne, we lived in a neigbhourhood that dated back to the Edwardian era. Our house nominally had central heating. But at the height of winter, the central heating was not up to the task. The insulation wasn't what it would have been in a Canadian house, the windows had single glazing, etc.

But, with that said, the length of Calgary's winters has really ticked me off during the last few years. In fact, I would say I've never really been the same since I returned from our expat assignment in Australia and was reminded what it was like to live in a milder climate.

A Calgary winter can give a person "cabin fever." For example, even to take the garbage (rubbish) out to the back lane, you need to put on boots and a coat. You can't just dash out in your sandals for thirty seconds. Having to think about, and prepare for, every trip outdoors, no matter how short it is, has grown old for me.

But, on the flip side, our Calgary house is well heated and well insulated.

I come from Swaziland and, after three decades away from there, I really miss greenery. Calgary is looking very green now, and I certainly enjoy it when it's like this, but this season is too short lived.

I'm in the process of moving to Victoria (BC), partly because the British Columbia coast is the closest thing I can find in Canada to Australia and my home country of Swaziland. Heck, they even have a few banana trees in Victoria.

I am not the only person who is tired of Canada's winters. There are scores of retired Canadians who go to Florida, Arizona, Mexico, etc., in the winter. Some Calgary friends of ours recently bought a property in Mexico, in preparation for that phase of their lives.

But, who knows, you may enjoy a 4-season climate.

And, besides that, Canada is closer to the UK, so more feasible for visits back and forth.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jul 4th 2008 at 10:52 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:09 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

In Winnipeg to get a 1/4 acre lot you would need to look in Charleswood (South West) as this is the only part of the City with consistently larger lots.

Away from the main through roads, Charleswood is a lot like a Village.

All the schools in the area are consistently good.

My own home is in Charleswood, and its a 70's house. Though I can recommend the area, 70's houses are not all that great either structurally or esthetically.

A bit of info on Charleswood:-

Charleswood is a residential community within the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is located in the southwestern part of the city, and is bordered by the Assiniboine River to the north, the Rural Municipality of Macdonald to the south, the Rural Municipality of Headingley on the west and the Assiniboine Park and Forest to the east. Until it joined with the City of Winnipeg in 1972 it was a separate municipality known as the Rural Municipality of Charleswood. The population is 26,440 (Source: Statistics Canada Census 2001).

Before European settlement, the region was home to an ancient ford across the Assiniboine River. A ferry service was in operation in the region as late as 1958, and a trail leading to the ford was visible until fairly recently. In 1995 the Charleswood Bridge (now the Charleswood Parkway) opened over the Assiniboine River connecting Charleswood with the suburb of St. James-Assiniboia. Charleswood is unique among Winnipeg's suburban areas in that it retains a semi-rural atmosphere. Many streets remain unpaved, do not have sidewalks and are lined with ditches.

There was little housing in Charleswood before 1920, and only limited growth between 1920 and 1946. Following World War II, it became popular with immigrants from Europe who wanted to avoid living too close to the centre of Winnipeg. Development of the area increased, and new houses were constructed in the Roblin Park, Marlton, and Varsity View neighbourhoods. The area experienced particularly strong growth in the 1970s, with at least 7,500 homes built during that decade.

The average price for a house in Charleswood during the 1st quarter of 2008 was $235,000.

During the same period:-

2 Bed homes sold for an average of $179,600

3 Bed homes sold for an average of $256,500

4 Bed homes sold for an average of $262,129

5 Bed homes sold for an average of $313,280
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

It was interesting what Judy said regarding the cold and trips out to the lane with the bin. Just to add something extra - we lived in Scotland -Stirling- for nearly 3 years and like Calgary (although probably not as cold) we also had to dress in coat etc just to go outside as it was too cold to do otherwise. In wales you can go out, probably here will get wet !!!

I think has Judy pointed out, you have to experience what it is like in the cold for some time. THe only compensation - correct me if I am wrong -is the sun shines a lot in Alberta. Here it rains a lot and to me I would rather wrap in the cold with the sun, rather than get soaked through in the rain !!

JET
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Jimf,

I have pm'd you with details of our realtor in Edmonton.

Linda
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I'm likely to be visiting Edmonton and Winnipeg later this month, exploring whether or not to move from the UK to live in either.

Will be looking at areas to live generally, houses if possible, schools if anyone is still around out of term as well as fitting in a few days of lakes/mountains etc for three primary age children.

Potential job locations would be north west Edmonton or south west Winnipeg.

Most important would be access to good schools. Ideally would choose to live where houses are in decent sized plot (1/4 acre) in reasonably established area (1970's maybe).

For the lakes/mountains aspect of the visit does anyone know of any smallish resort type places why children get explore do some canoeing etc?

I've done a certain amount of research on climate, houses on www.mls.ca etc. Looks like summers can be warm to hot in both places but winters are quite long and cold.

Would be interested to hear suggestions on what to look for where to go etc to get a real sense of what it would be like to live in these places. I know there is info on the Wiki etc but its the personal insights that would be most interesting.

In my line of work it would be very straightforward to work in Australia and I do wonder sometimes if that would be a better option. There are the obvious comparisons of climate and location to be made but it would be interesting to hear personal insights from anyone who has first hand experience of both.

Postings much appreciated
Having just come back from a recce trip to Winnipeg, I can hand-on-heart say what a wonderful, cosmopolitan, multi-cultural city it is. Everyone is incredibly friendly - especially when they hear your English accent! - and it's very hot in summer (it was 30 degrees every day when we went in mid-to late-June, and it gets to 40 degrees in July and August apparently). It does, however, get very cold in winter, but then so does Alberta, and it's got a bit of a reputation for its mosquitoes, but then Alberta (and indeed most provinces where there are lakes and standing water) also have mosquitoes. Manitoba is known as the 'Friendly Province' and is also known for its long days in summer. As a [I]province[I] I believe it gets the most sun (2300 hrs a yr), although a town in Alberta (Medicin Hat??) is the sunniest city.

We spent 2 days up at Lake Winnipeg, at Grand Marais, and there are some amazing beaches there (most notably, Grand Beach). You can drive around for miles, stopping the car here and there and discovering unspoilt, unoccupied beaches with white sand and rugged dunes.

As you're probably aware, Manitoba is a prairie province so has no mountains but lots of lakes, a few hills, and lots of trees (nb: when we looked round Winnipeg, most of the suburban streets were tree-lined (and very quiet) seemed far removed from the centre of a large city, and yet were only 10 mins' drive away!). However, we did find out about their 'largest' ski area - Assessippi - which is near Riding Mountain Provincial Park (there's lots of provincial parks), which is 3.5 hrs' drive from Winnipeg, or 1.5 hrs from Brandon (which is 2 hrs from The Peg). Obviously you can't compare it to the Rockies or Whistler, but when you're living in a flat (but beautiful) city like Winnipeg, I imagine it must seem like the nearest thing!! And of course, property prices are much, much lower than any you'd find in BC or Alberta, so if you're not fussed about mountains (or don't mind a short flight - or indeed a 13 hr drive (I think)) then Winnipeg's got everything for a family.

We met a lovely lady who'd been there 5 yrs and she said the schools were so much better than in the UK, the teachers are better with the kids and the kids are so much better behaved and work harder. They even have picnics at school!

We've got an 18 month old son and are confident that Winnipeg will be the best place for him to grow up :-)

Anita
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

oldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant futureoldsilverback has a brilliant future

Hi All, went to the recent expo in London and have to admit that I ended up having a very nice and informative chat with a lady from Winnipeg. She managed to sell it to me and now I am looking further, there is a big demand for my line of work ( engineering) and the way the place has been described sounds perfect.I now need a recce visit. A website you may want to visit; http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/
Cheers all Chris
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:00 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg

We've got an 18 month old son and are confident that Winnipeg will be the best place for him to grow up :-)
Thats why we moved here, Winnipeg is a great place to bring up children.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a last minute change of heart when we emigrated and chose Winnipeg over Alberta, and can honestly say is was the best possible move.

Although Winnipeg doesn't have the obvious allure of the Rockies, the surrounding countryside is fantastic and has the added bonus that you don't need to share it with thousands of others people. One of Winnipeg's major problems is that it does a terrible job at advertising itself - but I think that this is a ploy by Winnipeggers to keep house prices down to an affordable level!

Having just experienced my first winter there's no doubt about it that it gets very cold, but this in itself is a bonus as you get to enjoy all the winter activities on offer - including the worlds longest naturally forming ice rink (I think it topped out at 9km). It's also very sunny in the winter, even the number of snow showers is fairly low (compared to Atlantic Canada) but the snow just accumulates throughout the season as it's too cold to melt.

Winnipeg also seems to be a city on the up. There's a lot of new developments in the pipeline which will be operational in the next few years, including: a new Airport terminal, the National Museum of Human Rights, a new Football Stadium, plus continued revitalising of the Exchange District and along the Red River.

I left the UK having lived in London for years and worried that I wouldn't get my necessary cultural and entertainment fix in Winnipeg, however, I'm constantly surprised by the number of events that go in in the city (throughout the year), which are not only diverse but also affordable and accessible to all. Take July and August and it's pretty much non-stop: Jazz Fest, Winnipeg Folk Fest, The Fringe, Folklorama, plus hundreds of smaller event going on all the time.

Hope this helps?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the postings everyone.

On the climate issue I've put the monthly daily average max/min temperatures on a graph for a few Canadian locations together with Newcastle (north east England) and Melbourne (Australia). In England Newcastle would be seen as a rather chilly location and I think London would be pretty similar to Vancouver so the range of temperatures around England is pretty minimal compared to Canada.

In the summer theres not much to choose between Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton and Winnipeg is certainly warmer. In the winter Winnipeg is clearly the coldest with Edmonton not far behind, Calgary a little milder and Vancouver significantly milder.

There's often mention of winters in Alberta and Manitoba being sunny and dry so the cold isn't so much of a problem. Its difficult for someone for the UK to appreciate what these low temperatures are like as they are so different. I've seen the videos on utube of people in Winnipeg throwing cups of water into the air so that the water spray freezes straight away!

My impression is that Winnipeg has more going for it than I had originally expected. The oil boom has made Edmonton look quite expensive.

Just out of curiousity are there flood maps of Winnipeg available? I read there was a big flood in 1950 and another more recently that affected south of the border more badly but didn't quite breach the flood barriers in Winnipeg.

Houses in Charleswood look nice enough and certainly would be worth a look. Both Winnipeg and Edmonton seem to have nice places to visit within reasonable driving distance.

Melbourne also sounds nice. It's nearly 11,000miles from the UK though.
Attached Thumbnails Edmonton and Winnipeg-climate-can1.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
It was interesting what Judy said regarding the cold and trips out to the lane with the bin. Just to add something extra - we lived in Scotland -Stirling- for nearly 3 years and like Calgary (although probably not as cold) we also had to dress in coat etc just to go outside as it was too cold to do otherwise. In wales you can go out, probably here will get wet !!!

I think has Judy pointed out, you have to experience what it is like in the cold for some time. THe only compensation - correct me if I am wrong -is the sun shines a lot in Alberta. Here it rains a lot and to me I would rather wrap in the cold with the sun, rather than get soaked through in the rain !!

JET
We lived in Stirling (well around Stirling - Alloa, Bridge of Allan, and Menstrie) for about 7 years and I have to say, living at the foot of Dumyat there, it felt every bit as cold, if not colder in the winter, than it felt to me here in Edmonton this last winter. I know technically it's not as cold, but being dry here really does seem to make a huge difference.

We used a great realtor for hubby's recce, I can PM you her details. Just to give you an idea, this is the market update for June in Edmonton:

http://www.weselledmonton.com/webmrk...rketupdate.pdf

I have never been to Winnipeg, so can't really advise you to pick one over the other but the realtor might help you in your search
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I went to school in Dollar and found Winnipeg far colder

Seriously though, some of the posts upthread are spot on. Winnipeg is a nice city, with all the facilities you could want, except a decent airport and connections out and they're working on that...

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We lived in Stirling (well around Stirling - Alloa, Bridge of Allan, and Menstrie) for about 7 years and I have to say, living at the foot of Dumyat there, it felt every bit as cold, if not colder in the winter, than it felt to me here in Edmonton this last winter.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:54 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Flood Maps:-

http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardshi...nfo/index.html
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We lived in Stirling (well around Stirling - Alloa, Bridge of Allan, and Menstrie) for about 7 years and I have to say, living at the foot of Dumyat there, it felt every bit as cold, if not colder in the winter, than it felt to me here in Edmonton this last winter. I know technically it's not as cold, but being dry here really does seem to make a huge difference.

We used a great realtor for hubby's recce, I can PM you her details. Just to give you an idea, this is the market update for June in Edmonton:

http://www.weselledmonton.com/webmrk...rketupdate.pdf

I have never been to Winnipeg, so can't really advise you to pick one over the other but the realtor might help you in your search
The market update looks interesting. In the middle of an oil boom why are house prices in Edmonton on the slide and so many houses unsold?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Melbourne also sounds nice. It's nearly 11,000miles from the UK though.
We originally looked at both Australia and New Zealand and chose Canada because the house prices are cheaper (you can't get anything with 3 beds in Australia / NZ for under £150k unless you want an apartment or a mobile home, and cheap NZ houses are horrible, really tatty, old-fashioned, dated decor, polystyrene ceilings, vinyl walls...), and it's closer.

If we'd gone to Oceania our entire annual leave would've been taken up flying back to the UK to visit our families (neither would visit us - my parents wouldn't fly that far and Sean's parents couldn't afford it), plus we'd be looking at £3k for the flights alone, for all 3 of us.

Also, we've travelled round both countries extensively and though both are beautiful, NZ gets lots of earthquakes (I guess the Australasian equivalent of Canada's tornados?!), and there are too many deadly animals / insects in Oz (we trod on an Eastern brown snake in Nimbin - we thought it was a branch! - only reason it didn't bite us was cos it was late night, -3 degrees and it was too cold to move and strike, apparently!, oh and we saw redbacks, scorpions, stingrays and nurse sharks - which ok don't actually like the taste of us, but they've been known to have a little taste all the same, just to find out, and I'm quite attached to my limbs ).

Finally, we've got lots of friends who've emigrated Down Under and they've all said that, though they love the country and it's definitely the right decision, there is a growing yob culture in Australia and it's getting quite chavvy. I'm sure Canada may one day end up the same, but it seems Oz has had a bit of a headstart, hehe.

That said, we loved Melbourne (we rented an apartment in Prahran) and if we'd moved there then Melbourne would be the only place we'd have lived (everywhere else gets ridiculously, uncomfortably hot in summer).

Oh yeah and watch out for those mozzies - Sean got massacred!!

Sorry if this sounds like an Oz / NZ-bashing post, it wasn't meant to come across that negative, I just wanted to put across our reasons for choosing Canada over Oceania and then say that I loved Melbourne

Anita

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.