Reload this Page >

Edmonton to Vancouver?

Edmonton to Vancouver?

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

UK28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton to Vancouver?

Hi.

I have recently been given a job offer with a relocation package and a salary of $155k. I currently live in Edmonton on a salary of $110k. I have a wife a 4 year old daughter and a dog. Wife also works. We don't plan on having any more children which wasn't part of the original plan which is part of the reason of a move.
We like Edmonton, we have a nice home, which we have recently finished renovating. We would not leave Edmonton if we were going to have more children. Edmonton ticks so many boxes when it comes to family living, but we just don't see ourselves living here forever as at times we do feel a bit isolated geographically. We have a great network of friends here, our jobs are ok, Edmonton is generally affordable.

We have been to Vancouver several times and do like it there. However the obvious... house prices are just crazy. What makes it worse is that we have lived in our property for 4 years and have put a tonne of work that we did ourselves (exhausting) and it turns out we would break even.

Has anybody recently made this move before? I feel totally on the fence with this, if i don't go i will be missing out on a great opportunity and will never know what if.... but on the flip side we are comfortable in Edmonton, we have been in Canada for 5 years and have only in the last year or two felt settled and feel as if we are making some headway, financially, friends etc. Alberta and Edmonton has been sluggish with the economy, but i expect for it to eventually bounce back. We are thinking of renting out our our for a year or two to give it a go and rent for a bit which i hate. I thought this would be a lot easier decision and we would want to go, but i think the house prices has put us off and that we are settled with a good network of friends here in Edmonton. We are both 34 years old.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton to Vancouver?

Is the new job a promotion, or would it set you up better in the future career-wise?

Although a $45k salary increase sounds a lot, I doubt it would dent house affordability in Vancouver versus Edmonton.

Is this a good stepping stone to your next 5 year plan?

These are the things I would consider first, and then if Edmonton is not a long term goal anyway, maybe giving Vancouver a try is a good option. But don’t discount that current feeling of being more settled with a good group of friends. I think that’s hard work to replace over and over � ����
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

A move should provide a clear upgrade, especially if you have a young child in tow.

If things are fine in Edmonton, and Vancouver's appeal is more of "I wonder what's behind the curtain?" rather than obvious clear upgrade, you are probably better staying put.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make . . .
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 5:30 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from Edmonton to Vancouver a few years ago. There is a day night difference in property prices (and to an extent the living costs) between those two cities as you already know. Edmonton has much more affordable real estate but is nowhere near as good as Vancouver in terms of things to do and places to see.

Which part of Vancouver are you considering for living? Also, may I ask which industry do you work in and is it more stable in BC than in AB?

Based on the information you have given I would keep the Edmonton house for now especially since you have put so much work into it, and rent in Vancouver (hoping your relocation adviser will help you find something you like)- at least until you guys know where you want to settle. A promotion and a raise will of course look good on your resume and may open up other opportunities for you in the future, in places where you can buy a house AND have a strong career (as long as you are willing to move around).
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

UK28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a design Engineer. Have you noticed the difference to be significantly more expensive. Have you enjoyed the difference between Edmonton and Vancouver. Edmonton is so functional but we still can't see our lives here forever. This previous winter was brutal, but the summers are always nice.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This last winter was brutal all across Canada, I believe!! So it wasn't just Edmonton.

Even we Vancouverites were complaining about the cold in February, although rain and more rain is more commonly the complaint here from October through April or May

Are you ready for damp wet dark days for 90-95% of a month????? I can assure you it's worse than growing up near the Pennines in England! I've lived here for almost 50 years, and have not yet figured out how to keep EVERY part of my body dry.

I do know very well how to keep myself warm in the cold areas (-42C is the coldest I've experienced, in northern BC)

Housing is apparently the second most expensive in the country after Toronto ......... it now apparently takes around 85% of your income to fund a mortgage if you want to buy in Vancouver, other areas of Metro are slightly cheaper.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:13 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK28
I am a design Engineer. Have you noticed the difference to be significantly more expensive. Have you enjoyed the difference between Edmonton and Vancouver. Edmonton is so functional but we still can't see our lives here forever. This previous winter was brutal, but the summers are always nice.
"Expensive" is relative. Gas was definitely more expensive than Alberta and paying MSP is a pain in the butt when you have to pay it from your own pocket. But hey, those beautiful hikes and long walks by the ocean come at a price. We definitely do not mind living in Vancouver however, if a similar work opportunity popped up Edmonton then we would be thinking twice or may be thrice before moving there.