Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton V Ottawa

Edmonton V Ottawa

Old May 7th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton V Ottawa

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
Well. 200 shops is enough for us. And Ottawa seems to offer that. Being the capital Id assume it wouldn't be too shady.

This seems to be the biggest mall downtown in Ottawa, but I have no idea where in downtown it is and if its walking distance?
http://www.ottawakiosk.com/shopcenter/bayshore.html
That's not downtown, that's 13 km outside of downtown. You could walk, if you don't mind walking 13 km. According to Google Maps, it's an 11 minute drive down the highway.

Ottawa's downtown is very, very small by the way.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

When I google malls in ottawa, this is what seems to be in the center:

St Laurent Centre‎ -
1200 St Laurent Boulevard, Ottawa, ON K1K 3B8, Canada‎ - (613) 745-6858‎

Rideau Centre‎ -
50 Rideau St, Ottawa, ON K1N 9J7, Canada‎ - (613) 236-6565‎

Bayshore Shopping Centre‎ seems to be too far away from core downtown.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lychee
That's not downtown, that's 13 km outside of downtown. You could walk, if you don't mind walking 13 km. According to Google Maps, it's an 11 minute drive down the highway.

Ottawa's downtown is very, very small by the way.
Hmmm... I don't mind small too much. If it has a couple of malls with around 200 shops and plenty of trendy cafes and bars we would be delighted.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... I don't mind small too much. If it has a couple of malls with around 200 shops and plenty of trendy cafes and bars we would be delighted.
Then Ottawa might be it.

Note that most Canadian malls are clones of each other. They all have The Gap, The Body Shop, The Bay department store, Nike, Banana Republic, Aldo, etc.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...=1&d1=a&sc1=-1
Old May 7th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Haha Ive been using that for my research

Certainly Ottawa seems to be the winning one so far for our 2-week holiday.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm pleased to know that Sparks Street Mall has 50 shops and Rideau Centre‎ has over 200 shops. That is plenty for us. Plus a short bus journey will take us to an even larger mall. Can't complain at that.

And the downtown doesn't look that small to me. I'm used to just one street. It seems it is grids in Ottawa.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Seriously...Is where you are going on a two week holiday coming down to Mall size and location???
Old May 7th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leepee
Seriously...Is where you are going on a two week holiday coming down to Mall size and location???
That's part of it. Because we like living in the city. So having a mall or shops near by is useful and convenient, and we like that. That's one part of our criteria. Now that thats sorted we can move on looking at other areas
Old May 7th 2009, 1:40 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Ottawa, I've been to Edmonton, and I like them for what they are, but I certainly wouldn't recommend either given your criteria. Ottawa would have the edge, but I'd say there are even better choices.

I think the biggest fault is how you're approaching this. It appears that you're selecting Ottawa and Edmonton based on statistics alone. I say it's the wrong approach because statistically, sure, Edmonton or Ottawa may sound like they're a fit with what you're looking for, but how you're really describing your ideal city? You're basically describing Vancouver. I'd say Victoria, but Victoria has the dreaded wind!!

And forget about Vancouver's high density - downtown has condo high rises, but outside of downtown the majority of the population lives in single family houses - very suburban, relaxing by nature. Lots of parks, outdoor access nearby, not too many galleries/museums but lots of locals hanging out at the beach, or at trendy cafes, etc.

Anyhow, I would definitely visit before considering a move as I feel you'd be greatly disappointed otherwise.
Agreed
BTW - the problem with Edmonton is that the shopping is more about quantity than quality - you get the same chain stores but little variety. The same goes for the West Edmonton Mall. It's a replica of any mall anywhere in Canada, it's just bigger!
Totally Agreed

Originally Posted by leepee
Like a lot of N.American cities it was built for the car not for walking around...It has a reasonable transit (bus) system and the train is getting there!! I know the Mall like the back of my hand as my in Laws live a three minute drive away....It is fine but it is a Mall ...bigger than almost all the others and useful to walk around when it is -30c outside....It isn't full of cute boutiques - it is full of shops that are everywhere else in Canada too..... There is no real 'downtown' per say - there is Wyte Ave and that is about it....The River Valley is lovely - much more so than Calgary's. It has few Head Offices - most of those are in Calgary....

My husband was raised partly in Edmonton. I just asked him what he would say the good points are about it....His answer(bearing in mind he swore yrs ago never to return there)was that if you want a nice house in a suburb with a pretty good school system then Edmonton is fine....I would also add that it has a good symphony orchestra and a very good Uni.....Before everyone in Edmonton jumps on me I would just say that I spend a lot of time there and I do like it.....I just also like the mountains and skiing - Rabbit Hill just ain't gonna cut it for me!!!

There are sooo many variables when deciding on a place to live . You simply can't make a list. Vancouver is beautiful (in the sunshine!!!) and Montreal is wonderful.....It might be worth a smaller house OR even picking up some french just to be in either place....

Good luck but seriously are you going to take our words for it!!!????

Ottawa would have the edge, but it is not a shopping destination. Ottawa's a destination for government work, museums, and art galleries.

If shopping is what you're seeking, neither. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have great shopping downtown. .
Exactly.
Originally Posted by comet555
In Edmonton the downtown area really doesn't have a lot of green space except for lower down along the river valley (which does not have shops, etc). The downtown area does have some shops along the streets but I think the majority is in several downtown indoor shopping malls.
......................outdoor shopping isn't much fun in the winter when it's freezing but also because parking is expensive in the city.

West Edmonton Mall is nice but it is about a 30 minute drive from downtown Edmonton, not something you'd likely do too often if you just wanted to have a browse.

Whyte Avenue does some trendy/artsy shops along it's strip although it's not nearly as big as you might think. Shopping during the day would be fun, and so would the pubs. I wouldn't count on going to many of those place in the evening though as Whyte Avenue is right next to the university and it is usually covered with drunken university students on the weekends (and weekdays to some extent).

I have no idea what the downtown area in Ottawa is like, I really haven't spent much time there. But Ottawa does have a lot of nice park space along the Rideau Canal which to some extent has shopping in certain areas too. I just see Ottawa as a prettier city to be honest. Downtown Edmonton is all just buildings to me and I wouldn't want to live down there.

If you're really stuck between choosing one city over an other you really should visit them. Edmonton might have more park space but it really is a large city sprawled out over a large area, which means the parks are really spread out as well. The statistics could also be skewed if it included large provincial forests and things like that on the outskirts.

I would also suggest having a good look on google earth to see the city from above. Zoom in on the downtown areas and see what it looks like. You'll find out exactly where all the park space is then.
Apart from the comment about the students on Whyte I would agree from my experience

Then Ottawa might be it.

Note that most Canadian malls are clones of each other. They all have The Gap, The Body Shop, The Bay department store, Nike, Banana Republic, Aldo, etc.
So True.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been to Ottawa, I've been to Edmonton, and I like them for what they are, but I certainly wouldn't recommend either given your criteria. Ottawa would have the edge, but I'd say there are even better choices.

I think the biggest fault is how you're approaching this. It appears that you're selecting Ottawa and Edmonton based on statistics alone. I say it's the wrong approach because statistically, sure, Edmonton or Ottawa may sound like they're a fit with what you're looking for, but how you're really describing your ideal city? You're basically describing Vancouver. I'd say Victoria, but Victoria has the dreaded wind!!

And forget about Vancouver's high density - downtown has condo high rises, but outside of downtown the majority of the population lives in single family houses - very suburban, relaxing by nature. Lots of parks, outdoor access nearby, not too many galleries/museums but lots of locals hanging out at the beach, or at trendy cafes, etc.

Anyhow, I would definitely visit before considering a move as I feel you'd be greatly disappointed otherwise.
You are correct. But we cant afford to visit multiple places. So going to one and getting a feel for it will help. Vancouver is also a place id love to visit but living their is not affordable. The house prices are out of our league.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

That's one part of our criteria. Now that thats sorted we can move on looking at other areas
And your other criteria were wind speeds (or lack thereof) and the amount of comfy sofas in trendy cafes.....if I recall correctly.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:46 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

That's part of it. Because we like living in the city. So having a mall or shops near by is useful and convenient, and we like that. That's one part of our criteria. Now that thats sorted we can move on looking at other areas
Seriously, that rules Edmonton immediately. Very few people still (AFAIK) live in DT Edmonton.

What you have to bear in mind is that MOST Canadian cities have expanded outwards as people deserted the core to live in single family homes that they could afford and have at least a little bit of yard. As people moved out businesses (not retail) moved in. The more people moved out of town the more they needed cars, the more cars they had the more ready they were to drive to out of town malls. Hence the POOR shopping downtown in Edmonton (and to a less degree Calgary) and the emergence of Malls like WEM.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:47 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
For the reasons Souv quoted. PLUS Edmonton lacks a true downtown core, very few decent (none chain) coffee shops and (most of) the architecture is about as aesthetically pleasing as Battersea Power Station in the rain.
i would 2nd this and add a small nuclear blast to the battersea power station bit.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clynnog
And your other criteria were wind speeds (or lack thereof) and the amount of comfy sofas in trendy cafes.....if I recall correctly.
Hehe. Just trying to get a feel for a place to see what it offers. It seem Ottawa is the better place to check out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.