Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:21 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
Any chance of keeping on the topic. I don't think anyone has a clue what you two are rambling on about
Well Mr.Jay neither do we..... But people are still reading it
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Anyway...

We are going more towards Halifax as it seems a lot nicer. Here is why:

Edmonton Good:

- Great for shopping (i'm assuming) with such a huge mall.
- Close proximity to other major cities and easy access.
- In the middle of canada so easy access to anywhere.
- Within driving distance to some excellent scenery & mountains.
- Lots of greenery.
- Lots of good festivals, so plenty to do.
- Lovely valley's.

Edmonton Bad:

- Winters are cold
- Within the coal mine district which is bad for the o-zone/air quality (according to experts, not me).
- Seems to have emphasis towards money and a strong economy more than having a good community.
- Seems to be constantly having a battle with Calgary to which is the better City, and thus doesn't help create a good community between the two cities.
- Popular destination now with the booming economy in that area and thus, means more people creating a higher density with less space. Which means within 10 years to come it will become crowded - if the economy continues to get stronger.
- Too many sky scrappers.
- Perhaps a little too flat.
- Seems to be more industrial.
- The coal mining industry will not last forever.
- May be a little too big for us. Anymore than 1.8m is way too big for us and there is a possibility of this happening.

Halifax Good:

- God nightlife (not that we are bothered anymore).
- Good place to bring up a family (according to some website we read). Although apparently their education system is below the average.
- More sense of a community.
- Some nice historical buildings and few sky scrapers.
- No smoking in public places.
- Seems to have some nice scenic drives near by.
- Plenty of greenery near by but not as much as Edmonton in city.
- Clean fresh air (according to some website).
- Seems laid back.
- Their economy relies on the military and quite frankly in my day and age there will also be a military needed - don't have to worry about struggling.
- Only 6hrs to the UK.
- Affordable housing (when you compare it to Edinburgh).

Halifax bad:

- Too small.
- Far away from other major cities making it isolated.
- The waterfront apparently smells because of sewage.
- Historical buildings are not protected by law.
- Can be windy in the winter but not as cold as Edmonton.
- Young city so not exactly ideal for those that are getting on.
- Shopping.
- Difficult to find employment.
- There are times in the year when nothing happens.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I say old chum, it's rather odd to feature "coal mining" for one and not "tar ponds" for the other.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:20 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway...

We are going more towards Halifax as it seems a lot nicer. Here is why:

Edmonton Good:

- Great for shopping (i'm assuming) with such a huge mall.
Most North American cities have huge shopping malls.

- Close proximity to other major cities and easy access.
Close to other major cities? what have you got an aeroplane?

- In the middle of canada so easy access to anywhere.
In the middle of Canada??? Look at a map.

- Within driving distance to some excellent scenery & mountains.
Certainly believe so

- Lots of greenery.
- Lots of good festivals, so plenty to do.
- Lovely valley's.

Edmonton Bad:

- Winters are cold
You bet they are brrrrrrrrrrr

- Within the coal mine district which is bad for the o-zone/air quality (according to experts, not me).
- Seems to have emphasis towards money and a strong economy more than having a good community.
Thats North American culture for you.

- Seems to be constantly having a battle with Calgary to which is the better City, and thus doesn't help create a good community between the two cities.
That happens everywhere, don`t let it bother you.

- Popular destination now with the booming economy in that area and thus, means more people creating a higher density with less space. Which means within 10 years to come it will become crowded - if the economy continues to get stronger.
Thats what economic booms do for you.

- Too many sky scrappers.
Like I said this is North America not Europe

- Perhaps a little too flat.
Well you won`t have trouble carrying the shopping

- Seems to be more industrial.
Well people have got to work somewhere

- The coal mining industry will not last forever.
Thats what I believe happened in the Uk

- May be a little too big for us. Anymore than 1.8m is way too big for us and there is a possibility of this happening.
Look for something smaller like Halifax but really 1.8 too big?

Halifax Good:

God!! don`t you mean good, anyway don`t be like that you are as young as you feel.

- Good place to bring up a family (according to some website we read).
Probably the Nova Scotian tourist board

- Although apparently their education system is below the average.
Surprise given the amount of Uni`s there.

Well they gotta stick together

Sounds just up your street, so they say in England

we even have that in Spain

Now thats a surprise

Again Nova Scotian tourist board

- Seems laid back.
you bet it will be

- Their economy relies on the military and quite frankly in my day and age there will also be a military needed - don't have to worry about struggling.
You will probably be safer living further away from any type of military installations

- Only 6hrs to the UK.
Its affordable to practically everywhere. I fell off my perch when I saw property prices there

Halifax bad:

- Too small.
Edmonton too big and Halifax too small look elsewhere friend

yep at the edge of the world

Sounds like Spain

[B]mmm what does that tell you[/B

]- Can be windy in the winter but not as cold as Edmonton.
You bet its gonna be windy!!!!

As said before you are only as young as you feel

- Shopping.
Thats a positive you`ll spend less money

Why? I thought everybody had gone to Alberta or are they now coming back?

The below comment sounds like Spain between 2-5
Anyway this has given me some good inside information and plenty to look at as well. Thanks for putting this together Jay

Last edited by Jules Europe; Sep 12th 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:13 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I say old chum, it's rather odd to feature "coal mining" for one and not "tar ponds" for the other.
the tar ponds are in Sydney, not Halifax. A good few hundred kms away.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
the tar ponds are in Sydney, not Halifax. A good few hundred kms away.
And the coal mines? Are they in downtown (if any) Edmonton?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Its always interesting to read a summary of where you live written by someone who has never been there - kind of gives you a new perspective on the place

Its a good attempt though. I reiterate the comments of someone else that you really need to visit before you decide. As I say, I havent ever been to Edmonton so cant comment on any of that but some further comments on Halifax below...

Anyway...

Halifax Good:

- Good place to bring up a family (according to some website we read). Although apparently their education system is below the average.
I think it depends what you are looking for. Comparred with the UK there is a lot more emphasis on social development and on churning out friendly and well-rounded individuals than pure academics in my view. Some of the schools near Halifax are excellent and as well as being highly-equipped offer French immersion programs etc which are things we didnt have access to in the UK. I know at least two families how recently moved to Halifax from BC because they thought the schools were much better. But like I say, I cant comment on Edmonton having no first-hand experience.
- Seems laid back.
- Only 6hrs to the UK.

Halifax bad:

- Too small.
I'm not sure about that one. There might not be a specific law about old buildings but there are strict planning rules and in the last few years there has been a lack of development in downtown Halifax because the Councillors are "overly protectionist" of the city's heritage. I cant imagine Council ever voting to allow historic building to be torn down.
- Can be windy in the winter but not as cold as Edmonton.
- Shopping.
It seems to me that nobody really has a problem finding employment in Halifax. And if you look through the forum you'll see plenty of expats that easily found jobs here so they could apply through the PNP program. In most sectors the talk is mainly of a skills shortage and a lot of companies cant find enough staff. The problem in my view is actually the quality of the jobs. A lot of the jobs available are quite junior and wages generally are a bit crap in many sectors.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:34 pm
Immigration Consultant

And the coal mines? Are they in downtown (if any) Edmonton?
I assume not. But my point wasnt whether the offending fossil fuel industry or waste products were in the downtown of the city or not, rather that in the case of the tar ponds there are in a different city altogether. Sydney is a flight away from Halifax.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Sydney is a flight away from Halifax.
I drove. My child thumbed. An aeroplane seems like overkill.

Still, we quibble, neither coal mines nor toxic waste lagoons can reasonably be considered a factor in this selection.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

toxic waste lagoons .
Whilst maybe not a toxic waste lagoon, Halifax harbour can be a bit whiffy. Not a patch on St John's famed 'bubble' though!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Whilst maybe not a toxic waste lagoon, Halifax harbour can be a bit whiffy. Not a patch on St John's famed 'bubble' though!
Thats not the harbour you can smell - its the fish and chip stalls down on the boardwalk
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Its always interesting to read a summary of where you live written by someone who has never been there - kind of gives you a new perspective on the place

Its a good attempt though. I reiterate the comments of someone else that you really need to visit before you decide. As I say, I havent ever been to Edmonton so cant comment on any of that but some further comments on Halifax below...

I think it depends what you are looking for. Comparred with the UK there is a lot more emphasis on social development and on churning out friendly and well-rounded individuals than pure academics in my view. Some of the schools near Halifax are excellent and as well as being highly-equipped offer French immersion programs etc which are things we didnt have access to in the UK. I know at least two families how recently moved to Halifax from BC because they thought the schools were much better. But like I say, I cant comment on Edmonton having no first-hand experience.

I'm not sure about that one. There might not be a specific law about old buildings but there are strict planning rules and in the last few years there has been a lack of development in downtown Halifax because the Councillors are "overly protectionist" of the city's heritage. I cant imagine Council ever voting to allow historic building to be torn down.

It seems to me that nobody really has a problem finding employment in Halifax. And if you look through the forum you'll see plenty of expats that easily found jobs here so they could apply through the PNP program. In most sectors the talk is mainly of a skills shortage and a lot of companies cant find enough staff. The problem in my view is actually the quality of the jobs. A lot of the jobs available are quite junior and wages generally are a bit crap in many sectors.
Thanks. The school education system according to some statistics I read are that Halifax primary and high school are below the national average. Cant remember the source sorry. Anyway I don't have kids yet so nothing to worry about lol. At least I was close with most of my predictions I gathered from websites.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all for the information you provided. I think we will go to Halifax. There are so many things that just seem to resemble the UK: Historical buildings, festivals etc. Plus it is only a 4.5hr drive to Quebec (the closest thing to Europe for people in Canada)
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:31 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thank you all for the information you provided. I think we will go to Halifax. There are so many things that just seem to resemble the UK: Historical buildings, festivals etc. Plus it is only a 4.5hr drive to Quebec (the closest thing to Europe for people in Canada)
Its meant to be like Paris, so it must be good
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

ok heres my take

and I have experienced both Edmonton and Halifax

Edmonton does have the worlds biggest malll if that rocks your boat

are you originally from the UK? if so I would say Halifax people/atmospehere are more akin to say somewhere like salisbury , carlilse, durham, alnwick in northumberland, canterbury etc

edmonton- southend, watford, glasgow
im not talking architecture, size its just a feel in my view

just my thoughts
dont get me wrong I would rather live in edmonton than any uk place if I had to live in a city but for me edmonton had its share of chavs and rough element which I didnt see in halifax

I live 200km from civilisation though so my view is somewhat biased towards the simple stress free kind of life as far away from a uk or material lifestyle as its possible to get.
It has its downsides eg zero shopping but then again the most important things in life are not things

good luck