Reload this Page >

Edmonton Police

Edmonton Police

Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Karenmart332 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton Police

Hello everyone,

We are new to this site but I have been reading alot of things on it now for a few weeks. This is my first post, probably the first of many...

My husband, Martin has just sent off his application to EPS ! We fedex'd it and they received it on Saturday ( should have been Friday but thats a long story )

Was wondering if anyone here would know what the chances are of getting to the interview process with him being 38 years old. He did ring Canada and was told that there are many age ranges accepted but I suppose they have to say that really.

Many thanks all,
Karen
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Re: Edmonton Police

My brother got into CPS at 37 so I'm sure you'll be fine. That said I know CPS have stopped taking international applicants for the time being. Half of CPS seems to be ex British cops!!

Regards,

Stuart.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Dear Stuart,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thats good news as we were concerned that his age may be a drawback.
Fingers crossed now, just a waiting game for now.

Gives him time to get fit. With regards to getting fit if he is lucky enough to be called over, what kind of training should he be doing for the PARE test ?
At the moment he is doing alot of running on the treadmill at the gym, in my opimion after seeing the PARE test on youtube, I would have thought that circuit training would be better.

Regards,
Karen
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Just noticed that I should have opened this thread in the occupations section under police.
If a moderator sees this can they please move it there ? I have tried to see if I can do this myself but have had no luck.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

I think you may have just found this section - but here goes anyway.

Welcome to the madhouse ....
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Edmonton Police

two friends of mine have been accepted to Calgary Police at 40 and 47, so you will be fine!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Hello Ann and Paul,

Thank you both, I feel alot happier now about my husbands age... lol.

Ann, is there anyway I can move this thread over or if I have anymore questions should I just open a new thread on there ?

Regards,
Karen
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Edmonton Police

i would suggest reading the Calgary and Edmonton Police threads, as chances are your questions have already been answered on there!
failing that, ask them at the end of the relevant thread.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:04 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Pare is a lot harder than it looks on you tube. Just toddling along on a treadmill is not enough. The test is supposed to simulate being in a chase/struggle with a suspect and is very anaerobic and demands high levels of output for a relatively short, but sustained period.

Interval training is beneficial - for eg, 2 mins regular running, and then 1 minute at 90 percent max output. Also weight training helps.

Having said that, its not that difficult to get through if you are in good shape, you certainly don't have to be an athlete.

I found that even familiarity with the course helps improve time. I did it twice in a week and the second time I was a good 20 sec quicker due to knowing the course, so there is benefit in trying the pare before hand.

And as a side note, Canada has very strict anti discrimination laws around age and as such there is no max age. What may be more of an issue is time in to qualify for pension - 20 years service is the min for pension and max age of service is 60.

good luck
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Hi Karen - I agree that circuit training may be better, being a good runner won't guarantee a good test result. I think my brother failed the fitness test first time round but passed the following day, This link may be of use: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...e-tape-eng.htm

The ongoing training is also quite intense and I guess you need a fair level of fitness, not just cardiovascular but strength also. I know my brother really struggled with stuff like the chin ups (but then he has arms like spaghetti!). The thought of the early runs when its -20 outside sounded a bit grim!! I believe rowing, sit-ups etc were also part of the criteria...

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Karenmart332
Dear Stuart,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thats good news as we were concerned that his age may be a drawback.
Fingers crossed now, just a waiting game for now.

Gives him time to get fit. With regards to getting fit if he is lucky enough to be called over, what kind of training should he be doing for the PARE test ?
At the moment he is doing alot of running on the treadmill at the gym, in my opimion after seeing the PARE test on youtube, I would have thought that circuit training would be better.

Regards,
Karen
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all that replied.

I have read through all of the other thread, in the professions section of this forum and its very helpful, in future if I have anything specific to ask I will post on there.

Hubbie has alot of work to do getting fit now.

Waiting to hear from EPS now that they received his application
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Bill Gibbons will become famous soon enoughBill Gibbons will become famous soon enough

Karenmart332 - I was in Edmonton a few months ago and met Stuart Davidson. If anyone remembers him, he was the copper from Burton-on-Trent who wrote the book, "Wasting Police Time," under the pen name, David Copperfield. Stu is enjoying his time with the EPS, which he joined at the age of 36. There are over 40 ex-Brit coppers working for them now.

If you like, I can pass on his email to you if you and your spouse would like some advice?

Bill