Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton Places to live

Edmonton Places to live

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

jcool144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton Places to live

Can anyone recommend good neighbourhoods/places to live in Edmonton for a family with 3 teenage kids 16,14, and 12.
Must be near schools, colleges, have good transport links and things to do for the kids etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:30 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton Places to live

This might help you

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6120
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jcool144
Can anyone recommend good neighbourhoods/places to live in Edmonton for a family with 3 teenage kids 16,14, and 12.
Must be near schools, colleges, have good transport links and things to do for the kids etc.
We moved to the Leger area in the south west of Edmonton around 6 months ago. Really like it so far - nice quiet area and friendly locals! There are good transport links to Downtown via bus and LRT but also close to the Henday, Whitemud and Calgary Trail for driving to other places. West Ed Mall, Soughgate and South Ed Common shopping areas are all a quick drive away. There's a great new Rec centre in Tewillegar and the schools are good (my kids are in Elementary though). Would recommend having a look around the south west neighbourhoods as most are very good and the houses, whilst pretty much crammed together, tend to be on the larger side.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:53 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrosslands
We moved to the Leger area in the south west of Edmonton around 6 months ago. Really like it so far - nice quiet area and friendly locals! There are good transport links to Downtown via bus and LRT but also close to the Henday, Whitemud and Calgary Trail for driving to other places. West Ed Mall, Soughgate and South Ed Common shopping areas are all a quick drive away. There's a great new Rec centre in Tewillegar and the schools are good (my kids are in Elementary though). Would recommend having a look around the south west neighbourhoods as most are very good and the houses, whilst pretty much crammed together, tend to be on the larger side.
Not sure there is Leger area in SW Edmoton..the ETS station is called Leger but no where else..i think you mean Terwilleger..which includes Magrath..i live in Riverbend which is next to Terwilleger..both have good houses and good schools..you have the upcoming Windemere in the same area which is a brand new subdivision..just the otherside of the Henday..again they are building a big new shopping complex there rigth now...for me SW Edmonton is the best palce to live in Edomton but its more expensive than most of the rest of the city.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with cheeky monkey. When I first came to Canada it was looking like I would be based in Edmonton, and we had pretty much decided to live in the Riverbend area.

As it turned out, I was based in Calgary for 3 years before moving up to site. But if I had to live in Edmonton, I would be looking at the Riverbend area. Not the cheapest, but as nice as you'll get.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Not sure there is Leger area in SW Edmoton..the ETS station is called Leger but no where else..i think you mean Terwilleger..which includes Magrath..i live in Riverbend which is next to Terwilleger..both have good houses and good schools..you have the upcoming Windemere in the same area which is a brand new subdivision..just the otherside of the Henday..again they are building a big new shopping complex there rigth now...for me SW Edmonton is the best palce to live in Edomton but its more expensive than most of the rest of the city.
On the realtors map (I'm a realtor) the area is called Leger. Within the southwest it's split up for each individual area so when you are listing a house in that area for sale or rent it would be Leger. Terwillegar is split in the realtor map now with all the expansion, Terwillegar Towne, Terwillegar South etc., Magrath has it's own. Riverbend doesn't exist within the realtor map, it's broken down by area, so Brander Gardens, Ramsay Heights, Rhatigan Ridge etc.

I'm in Windermere, love it! I think the SW is a great place for people with kids, particularly the older kids, but I'd probably stay above the Henday right now for renting, as we don't have a walking path/bike path over the Henday and it scares the hell out of me when my 15 year old bikes up to Terwillegar to meet his friends.