Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton to Calgary

Edmonton to Calgary

Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton to Calgary

Like I said it depends on how far down Barlow or 52nd St SE his office is, but bear in mind the SE ring road is nearly finished whereas the SW ring road is still up in the air. You don't only have the Deerfoot going forward, you can go up the ring road, the SE leg is slated to open in November 2013.

Commuting up the Deerfoot is the same as commuting up any busy road, but it's a cake walk compared to Sarcee or Crowchild at rush hour, or crossing town via Glenmore. The problem is during the winter, there's always an accident that slows it down, hopefully the ring road will sort that out. Or make it better at least.

Really it depends on where his office is. 15 minutes south of the airport puts you south of Glenmore, and the Deerfoot is usually pretty straightforward south of Glenmore.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:55 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived and worked in around London most of my working life i dont have any hang ups about commuting...i was used to long drives to works and traffic so its not a big consideration for me.

I have only spoken to Canadians who live in Calgary and a couple of guys who have lived there for 25 years or more...they have all said SW and NW and some areas like mackenzie town in the SE are the best parts of the city and forget the NE.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a generalization to say avoid the NE. There are some crappy neighbourhoods there but there's a lot of new stuff that is perfectly okay. Some of the stuff near the river on Memorial Drive is considered quite posh. A lot of the new construction will be around the NE ringroad, have a drive around it and you will see why.

The NW is overrated imo, you pay a ton of money for a "mountain view" that you can barely see, and it's more congested. There is some nice stuff in the SW especially by the reservoir. The SE is where a lot of the new stuff is being built, it's considered more downmarket than the NW I suppose, but then again Ramsey is in the SE and most of the new stuff is perfectly fine, as is Shawnessy which is new but not as new.

It really depends to some extent where you work, if you're working on Barlow or 52nd St or that general area I would say MacKenzie Towne or the other communities around there, Cranston, New Brighton, etc.

i was used to long drives to works and traffic so its not a big consideration for me.
I don't remember nearly freezing to death on the M25 because of a hold-up caused by an accident though.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

we live in far NW and and I commute to northish Barlow. I wouldn't want to live far SE, we have folks who live down there and the commute sounds horrendus.

Mine is around half an hour, 40 mins at peak. Worse in snow. Commute on McKnight and its fine, used to be bad but since Stoney opened its been good.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:48 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
we live in far NW and and I commute to northish Barlow. I wouldn't want to live far SE, we have folks who live down there and the commute sounds horrendus.

Mine is around half an hour, 40 mins at peak. Worse in snow. Commute on McKnight and its fine, used to be bad but since Stoney opened its been good.
where bouts in the NW i am looking at a couple places in royal oak and tuscany?