Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton, Alberta - Passsenger death from assault whilst on a Bus.

Edmonton, Alberta - Passsenger death from assault whilst on a Bus.

Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Edmonton, Alberta - Passsenger death from assault whilst on a Bus.

I was saddened to see this item on TV.

I am sure this incident is not the first for Canada.
It has probably happened before in places such as Vancouver,Toronto and Halifax.

In the UK - London etc. - this thing has become a "way of life" on buses.
The Police "with one arm tied behind their backs" because of PC gone mad, have lost control of the streets.

Here in cities like Edmonton and such like - IT IS NOT TOO LATE - to prevent it taking hold.

I would say to the Mayor of Edmonton - who stated on TV - "Fitting cameras and prompt radio links to buses would cost over $4,000,000 and so we have ruled that out".
Thats fine mate - as long as you realise that you must make sure that all other possible efforts (Policing) are made to make public transit in Edmonton - SAFE.
Otherwise you will continue down the road to a state of affairs like the places I have mentioned.

I was amazed, to here that the community, family etc. had successfully got the boys responsible for the assault - to turn themselves in!
Never in the UK, would that happen.

Canada is a society, where as soon as people can afford it, they buy and run an auto.
Yet we must remember that Public Transit is a requirement for cities to function.
I only hope that here in Canada - it`s cities do not go the way of some in the UK.
I know - I drove for London Transport from 1983 until 2004.
I have seen the streets of London, UK - change for the worst.

One evening I was threatened with a knife, to defend myself and deter him, I leapt out of my driving position and punched the teenager on the nose - he ran off.
I completed that journey and then returned to the depot with an empty bus - I was a little shocked, by what had happened and that I had - had to hit this guy.
When I got to the depot, the Police were waiting for me, not because I was the victim, but this teenager had told mummy what I had done, no mention that he had been waving a knife at me!

I never realy recovered from that night - that`s why in the end - it became one of the reasons why I left the "sinking ship" and came to NB, Canada.
Attached Thumbnails Edmonton, Alberta - Passsenger death from assault whilst on a Bus.-sadly-missed.jpe  
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:54 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton, Alberta - Passsenger death from assault whilst on a Bus.

Well, did you here they have Armed transit police in Vancouver now.

http://www.gvtaps.bc.ca/

Transit Police Officers will focus their efforts primarily on SkyTrain but will also support safety and security programs at Coast Mountain Bus Company, SeaBus, West Coast Express and other transit stations in the region.

Winnipeg has had video and audio recorders on buses since before we came here.

It is not all roses folks some say Canada is 10 years behind Europe and America well in some parts is more and some a lot less, choose wisely.