Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

early years schooling

early years schooling

Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Re: early years schooling

Originally Posted by fionamst
Personally I worked with preschool children in a playgroup setting in Scotland and the amount of stuff you're expected to cover with children as young as 2.5 yrs and up in riddiculous, I think we would gain more by letting children play and explore things rather than be "taught" at this young age. The other thing I think British schooling fails in is supporting children with learning difficulties - My son as many of you know has Aspergers syndrome and was given very little help other than some great teachers looking out for him.
Here in Canada from day 1 he had a educational assistant to assist him in class in what ever way he needed. I now work as an educational assistant and love helping children like my son knowing that in the UK this help isn't there, so many of these children have no chance of success in school so what hope do they have when they leave. Here my son has a future!

Fiona
I'm suprised by your comment, I have heard that some schools can be worse than others with supporting children with Learning Difficulties athough, I do also know quite afew schools that are excellent with supporting childrens special needs.

Guess it just depends and again I think looking into to every school in and around the area is important, as they seem to vary a great deal.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dingbat
I am glad your son receives the help he needs in your province. Generalising that "Canada" provides better special education support than the UK is, with respect, very misleading. If you were here in my area of BC, your son would get nothing at all in terms of support, because an Aspergers diagnosis does not mean extra TA hours. What it often means here is social isolation for the child and unrealistic expectations and demands from the school that the parent be on call to deal with every little issue arising with the child. I attended a school based care team meeting recently, the attendees at which questioned whether a child had Aspergers at all. The meeting blamed the parents for the child's behaviour and demanded that the parent come to school every day with the child, or he could stay at home. Friends in the UK have two children with diagnoses on the ASD spectrum. They report a level of support and resources we could only dream of here in my area of BC.
Wow !! That's disgusting.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW my special needs child always had a TA, none of them had any related training. This was in Ontario.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
There was one at my school that did not know to capitalise the word I when used as a pronoun.
i is a letter
I is a word, and ONLY a word WHEN used as a pronoun.

<butch wanders off muttering to himself>
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
i is a letter
I is a word, and ONLY a word WHEN used as a pronoun.

<butch wanders off muttering to himself>
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Am I the only one that thinks it's kinda clever that the ad at the bottom of this page is for 'Autistic Schools UK'...?

Anyway, I digress. Surely the point is that schools and kids vary as much in the UK as in Canada, and so does TA/LSA support for sn kids?

FWIW, it would appear to me that Alberta has a more robust assessment procedure in Kindergarten to identify SEN and apply funding, than anywhere I have come across in the postcode lottery/ begging letter to the LEA UK. I am now ticked that we didn't know this before, as our TWP is now too late to catch kindergarten! :curse:
That's if we make it through the excessive demand hurdle, though (thanks for the 'highlights' Biiiink, btw - watching closely!) - and that would be the argument c/o the same child that has just entered yr R and come home with a stage 10 reading book. Must've had a good role model, eh, Butch?

(I'm also checking wildly to see if I was the LSA that was a liability during science lessons - in spite of my university education! Some of us aren't soooo bad, honest.)
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:02 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw any of my TAs as a liabilty just woefully under trained
That's why we started the practical skills courses
They all wanted to help it is just that some didn't know how
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:25 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
I surprised by your comments. I taught in both the UK and in BC. The majority of Educational Assistants in the UK in my Experience were not professional at all. The majority had almost no qualifications to speak of - many not even GCSE's. They are paid a terrible salary - I think 7 pounds an hour. There was one at my school that did not know to capitalise the word I when used as a pronoun. Although some may have been good with the children they possessed no knowledge of special needs. Likewise the special needs teachers also lacked any real training. In the Lowermainland, on the other hand most EA's have special training (2 years post secondary - I believe) in special needs. They are also paid $22.50 an hour to reflect this training. The teachers in charge usually have a Masters degree or additional training in special ed. Also, the ratio of EA's to special needs children seems higher in BC than the UK.

Just my thoughts
As you and I have discussed this issue before, therefore all I will say is that none of the TA's I deal with and have dealt with have "post secondary" education at degree level. Not one. If you mean they have those easily obtained online Diplomas, then yes, two of them do. Neither of these two TA's can write a legible, accurate report. None of the teachers with the Special Ed children on my caseload have Masters Degrees either. I did qualify my post with "in my area". As we know, it depends on the School District as to the quality of the hiring.

Last edited by dingbat; Sep 26th 2008 at 2:23 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Souv, have a good flight(s).
Don't go there. Bloody nightmare. I only got home an hour ago and I haven't slept.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Would these be the Letters to The Corinthians????
no , they r ,butch sadcaseidy