Early Days

Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

VivaPayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Days

Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time reading various articles and threads on here over the last several days and figured it was about time I actually posted.

First off I wanted to say how amazingly informative this website and forums have been so thank you for all the indirect advice!

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are considering moving out to Canada in a few years. She's a nurse (qualifying in a few months) and I'm training to be an accountant. Currently we're waiting until I qualify before we get the ball rolling as we figure we'd stand a better chance if we're both qualified. In this time we're also thinking about getting hitched. Am I right in assuming that if we're both qualified and married we'd stand a better chance (I appreciate it's on a case by case situation and them needing your skill, but look for more of a general steer)?

What kind of things did you guys consider when weighing it all up? Obviously there are the obvious ones like family, etc, but there are always going to be those other things you don't think of until someone else suggests them!

At the moment we're considering moving out to Vancouver and over the course of the next several years we'll visit Canada and have a good old explore, but what's the daily grind like? Is it fairly similar to the 9 to 5 (or in my case 5.30) culture as we find here or is it more laid back?

I had so many more questions in mind before I started typing and now my mind's gone blank! Thanks so much in advance for any and all advice/answers.

Cheers
Adam
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Days

Originally Posted by VivaPayne
Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time reading various articles and threads on here over the last several days and figured it was about time I actually posted.

First off I wanted to say how amazingly informative this website and forums have been so thank you for all the indirect advice!

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are considering moving out to Canada in a few years. She's a nurse (qualifying in a few months) and I'm training to be an accountant. Currently we're waiting until I qualify before we get the ball rolling as we figure we'd stand a better chance if we're both qualified. In this time we're also thinking about getting hitched. Am I right in assuming that if we're both qualified and married we'd stand a better chance (I appreciate it's on a case by case situation and them needing your skill, but look for more of a general steer)?

What kind of things did you guys consider when weighing it all up? Obviously there are the obvious ones like family, etc, but there are always going to be those other things you don't think of until someone else suggests them!

At the moment we're considering moving out to Vancouver and over the course of the next several years we'll visit Canada and have a good old explore, but what's the daily grind like? Is it fairly similar to the 9 to 5 (or in my case 5.30) culture as we find here or is it more laid back?

I had so many more questions in mind before I started typing and now my mind's gone blank! Thanks so much in advance for any and all advice/answers.

Cheers
Adam
Hi, welcome

Yes to standing a better chance if you're qualified, for sure...
Re getting married, it doesn't matter providing you can prove you have been living together as common law for a year I believe.

Considerations? Well if you're going to live in Vancouver you'll need a lot more money than if for example, like me, you live somewhere in Nova Scotia. Houses I believe are expensive in BC.

Good luck

Last edited by DandNHill; Apr 25th 2012 at 9:00 pm. Reason: grammar...
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for such a quick reply.

We're moving in together later this year when she's finished studying in Cambridge. So even if we don't get hitched, then we should be ok!

Speaking of cash, that was one of my questions! I know for some countries they like you to have a certain amount saved so you can sustain yourself when arriving. Does Canada have a clause like this? On the self assessment test the first bracket is 'less than $300,000' so am I to presume that ideally we'd need about $300,000 saved/available to us? I may have over looked this bit somewhere along the lines so apologies if this is glaringly obvious! I've read so much on here and with my studies on top of work that a lot of things have started to blur into one this week!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why Vancouver (no disrespect to Vancouverites). With those professions and providing you qualify you could work anywhere in Canada.
Vancouver is expensive housing wise compared to other parts of Canada.
Sure its a nice city but there other places
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

When I visited with work (this is going back about ten years now!) I managed to stop off in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver and Vancouver was my favourite stop of the trip. I know the whole of Canada is very picturesque but I just got more of a laid back feeling from Vancouver than I did in Toronto. As my girlfriend and I visit together in the coming years we may change our mind, but it's an initial starting point.

Not going to lie, the proximity to some ski slopes as well is very tempting as I do love snowboarding!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to lie, the proximity to some ski slopes as well is very tempting as I do love snowboarding!

Alberta, parts of Ontario, Quebec (might not work if cant speak French) and parts of the Maritimes also offer ski slopes.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Alberta, parts of Ontario, Quebec (might not work if cant speak French) and parts of the Maritimes also offer ski slopes.
They also have curling in the street 6 months of the year!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

I can't speak French, so that rules out Quebec. Ontario was nice, but Vancouver pipped it for me on visits. Never visited Alberta or the Maritimes. But like I said, I'm planning some visits out there in the coming years so I'll be looking at it in a more objective light than when I was there on holiday and with work.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I do have a friend in Toronto though I could have a word with for his experiences.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that for most current UK nurse training doesn't meet Canadian nurse training unless they have clinical and theory hours on their transcripts in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Depending on province will depend whether some form of assessment will be required
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that. I'd read that she may need to do some extra assessments but she's planning on doing some more here anyway and isn't one to rest on her laurels.

I know I've got to do an assessment after I complete my ACCA training to get CGA recognition too. It's all stuff we can look into now and start planning for.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivaPayne
Thanks for that. I'd read that she may need to do some extra assessments but she's planning on doing some more here anyway and isn't one to rest on her laurels.

I know I've got to do an assessment after I complete my ACCA training to get CGA recognition too. It's all stuff we can look into now and start planning for.
Just doing assessments may not be enough. I plus many other UK nurses have had to do courses to meet requirements and not all can be done in the UK. If I remember rightly a midwife who was also RN had to do something to make up her hours and cost $$$$ and had to come here to Canada to do it. The coursework has to be accredited and involve both clinical and theory (as a rule)
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Ah ok. I did spot something about RCN having some literature on it. I'll point my girlfriend in that direction as it'll mean more to her, than I! Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Re the $300,00 question, no, that is not the minimum amount you need to have. All the information can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/funds.asp

As an accountant, you may find this website to be of use: http://www.accountantstocanada.org/P...ca/Default.htm

Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:54 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am an accountant working in NS and am an ACMA, it was the only qualification that was directly transferrable, as I understand it ACCA isnt. Having said that, there are talks about CMA and others merging so not sure how long the reciprical agreements will last.

I started off with ACCA but transferred to CIMA out of boredom (ACCA wasnt for me) and I am so pleased. My ACMA is being transferred at the moment to CMA and I know there is a meeting on May 10th about my transfer in NS and also about any merger, if you want I can let you know of the outcome - that they tell me.

If you plan on staying with ACCA do some really good research into what you need to do here to have an accounting qualification off the back of it.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi, I am an accountant working in NS and am an ACMA, it was the only qualification that was directly transferrable, as I understand it ACCA isnt. Having said that, there are talks about CMA and others merging so not sure how long the reciprical agreements will last.

I started off with ACCA but transferred to CIMA out of boredom (ACCA wasnt for me) and I am so pleased. My ACMA is being transferred at the moment to CMA and I know there is a meeting on May 10th about my transfer in NS and also about any merger, if you want I can let you know of the outcome - that they tell me.

If you plan on staying with ACCA do some really good research into what you need to do here to have an accounting qualification off the back of it.
According to this website, ACCA is a mutually recognised qualification.

http://www.cga-canada.org/en-ca/Inte..._acca_cga.aspx

ACCA and CGA-Canada Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.