Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

E-mail address with .ca suffix?

E-mail address with .ca suffix?

Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-mail address with .ca suffix?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up an e-mail account with a .ca suffix? - prior to being in Canada. I know the address I will be moving to, and was hoping to have a .ca e-mail address too, as I'm trying to start to let people know we are moving and closing accounts etc. I know, I know - you all think I'm dense! But I don't know and can't find anything on the Wikis'. Advice greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:51 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-mail address with .ca suffix?

Originally Posted by MillieF
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up an e-mail account with a .ca suffix? - prior to being in Canada. I know the address I will be moving to, and was hoping to have a .ca e-mail address too, as I'm trying to start to let people know we are moving and closing accounts etc. I know, I know - you all think I'm dense! But I don't know and can't find anything on the Wikis'. Advice greatly appreciated.
Yes it is possible. Sympatico.ca is one I know of.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You can register a .ca domain. I can't remember all the details but last time I did this they wanted an address in Canada and I was asked if I was a Canadian Citizen. When I said yes that was the end of the questions. I am not sure what would have happened if I said no - but I understand that your OH is Canadian so this should not be a problem.

They did follow up with a phone call a couple of days later. I don't know if this was a genuine customer service call or if they were checking that I was real.

This was with 10dollar.ca. There are many other companies. With 10dollar.ca they charge about $50 if you want to reserve the domain for 5 years and $90 for nine years. They also offer a "lite" hosting service for $100 a year which includes up to 5 email addresses.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:58 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

If you only want an .ca email, try seting up a free account at Yahoo.ca

I had issues using .co.uk with Kijiji and used a Yahoo.ca email for it.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:18 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

you could try hotmail with a 'live.ca' too.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bless you all for your kind replies. Now I know it's a possibility I will give it a try. There seem to be so many people to send a blasted letter to, that I thought I'd get a go on it and at least get them stored prior to sending - whatever happened to a minimalist lifestyle? I really appreciate your help.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE user by choice

One small step for those of you who are more computer savvy than me (practically everyone on the forum) but one huge step for me. I've done it! I now have a hotmail.ca address! It will make things much easier for all sorts of things. Grovelling appreciation and thanks by the bucket load!

Last edited by MillieF; Feb 12th 2012 at 6:26 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

One small step for those of you who are more computer savvy than me (practically everyone on the forum) but one huge step for me. I've done it! I now have a hotmail.ca address! It will make things much easier for all sorts of things. Grovelling appreciation and thanks by the bucket load!
What does a .ca email address do for you (in your opinion)? It doesn't mean you're in Canada.

99% of the people I communicate with have .com accounts, and they are based all over the world. A .ca email address doesn't mean anything to employers.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
What does a .ca email address do for you (in your opinion)? It doesn't mean you're in Canada.

99% of the people I communicate with have .com accounts, and they are based all over the world. A .ca email address doesn't mean anything to employers.
But having a hotmail account does. It means "delete that without reading it".
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:47 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Do people still use Hotmail these days?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Do people still use Hotmail these days?
Dude, that's so 1998.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Dude, that's so 1998.
Totally
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:09 am
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

Goodie - I don't want to 'BE' Canadian, I just didn't know how to get a .ca suffiix. I have a .fr, and a .com address (I have worldwide communications too!!). I will ultimately be closing my .fr account, as it's with Orange, and I won't be paying them. From an organisational point of view it's just much easier. I didn't know I could do it prior to being in CA, I have done it now, thanks to BE assistance, many thanks! Job done! Sorted!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:49 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

We need a board for glib remarks methinks

Millie
You go ahead and use whatever you are happy with.