Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question Time

Dumb Question Time

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 9:31 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: London UK
Posts: 129
dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dumb Question Time

Hi All,

Getting closer to flying out and our household items were packed and taken away yesterday by removal company. They have provided an inventory that I will use to build the "Goods to Follow" list shortly.

Now the question I have concerns the following context and who needs to do what in respect of our landing:

Me: Holds valid PR status that was activated in Oct 2018 when I touched down in Vancouver on vacation from UK.
Wife: Canadian National that has been in the UK with me since our marriage in Alberta 2009 (she also holds UK Nationality/Passport)
Sons : Both born in the UK and subsequently acquired Canadian Nationality from the UK by virtue of their mum (both currently hold UK/Canadian Passports)

Now, we are all going back to settle and in terms of landing should anyone else apart from me be involved in doing the goods accompanying/following bit?

My working assumption is that I can be the one doing this under my name as the items accompanying and following belong to our entire family? Is this the case or could it get more complicated?

Many Thanks
dogstar is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:32 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paul_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,113
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Time

Originally Posted by dogstar
Hi All,

Getting closer to flying out and our household items were packed and taken away yesterday by removal company. They have provided an inventory that I will use to build the "Goods to Follow" list shortly.

Now the question I have concerns the following context and who needs to do what in respect of our landing:

Me: Holds valid PR status that was activated in Oct 2018 when I touched down in Vancouver on vacation from UK.
Wife: Canadian National that has been in the UK with me since our marriage in Alberta 2009 (she also holds UK Nationality/Passport)
Sons : Both born in the UK and subsequently acquired Canadian Nationality from the UK by virtue of their mum (both currently hold UK/Canadian Passports)

Now, we are all going back to settle and in terms of landing should anyone else apart from me be involved in doing the goods accompanying/following bit?

My working assumption is that I can be the one doing this under my name as the items accompanying and following belong to our entire family? Is this the case or could it get more complicated?

Many Thanks
I remember fretting about this "Goods to Follow" list too, but if I were you I would just make one list in your name with all the stuff you and your family intend to bring at a later date, there is not limit on this list, so put it all on there, and making one list is going to keep it simple, and thats what you need at stressful times like this!


Paul_Shepherd is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:24 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: London UK
Posts: 129
dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Time

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I remember fretting about this "Goods to Follow" list too, but if I were you I would just make one list in your name with all the stuff you and your family intend to bring at a later date, there is not limit on this list, so put it all on there, and making one list is going to keep it simple, and thats what you need at stressful times like this!
Thanks as that is how I am thinking also! It was mighty stressful prior to our stuff being removed but now it's gone the clouds seem to have lifted. Not quite at the end of the journey but things "seem" more manageable now.
dogstar is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2021, 3:06 am
  #4  
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 206
Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Time

One list is fine, but as far as you being the only one settling just know that Canada doesnt see it like that, my situation was almost identical to yours and wife and kids are considered 'Returning Residents' which is almost the same as 'New Residents' from an importing goods point of view; it doesnt make any difference really but just wanted to make that clear that a single list for all of your collective family items is what you should be doing.
Good luck, remember the people at customs are used to this and were very welcoming and helpful.
Phaedru5 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2021, 7:07 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: London UK
Posts: 129
dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Time

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
One list is fine, but as far as you being the only one settling just know that Canada doesnt see it like that, my situation was almost identical to yours and wife and kids are considered 'Returning Residents' which is almost the same as 'New Residents' from an importing goods point of view; it doesnt make any difference really but just wanted to make that clear that a single list for all of your collective family items is what you should be doing.
Good luck, remember the people at customs are used to this and were very welcoming and helpful.
Thank you for validating my working assumption!
dogstar is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.