Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question Time

Dumb Question Time

Old Aug 4th 2021, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dumb Question Time

Hi All,

Getting closer to flying out and our household items were packed and taken away yesterday by removal company. They have provided an inventory that I will use to build the "Goods to Follow" list shortly.

Now the question I have concerns the following context and who needs to do what in respect of our landing:

Me: Holds valid PR status that was activated in Oct 2018 when I touched down in Vancouver on vacation from UK.
Wife: Canadian National that has been in the UK with me since our marriage in Alberta 2009 (she also holds UK Nationality/Passport)
Sons : Both born in the UK and subsequently acquired Canadian Nationality from the UK by virtue of their mum (both currently hold UK/Canadian Passports)

Now, we are all going back to settle and in terms of landing should anyone else apart from me be involved in doing the goods accompanying/following bit?

My working assumption is that I can be the one doing this under my name as the items accompanying and following belong to our entire family? Is this the case or could it get more complicated?

Many Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2021, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Question Time

Originally Posted by dogstar
Hi All,

Getting closer to flying out and our household items were packed and taken away yesterday by removal company. They have provided an inventory that I will use to build the "Goods to Follow" list shortly.

Now the question I have concerns the following context and who needs to do what in respect of our landing:

Me: Holds valid PR status that was activated in Oct 2018 when I touched down in Vancouver on vacation from UK.
Wife: Canadian National that has been in the UK with me since our marriage in Alberta 2009 (she also holds UK Nationality/Passport)
Sons : Both born in the UK and subsequently acquired Canadian Nationality from the UK by virtue of their mum (both currently hold UK/Canadian Passports)

Now, we are all going back to settle and in terms of landing should anyone else apart from me be involved in doing the goods accompanying/following bit?

My working assumption is that I can be the one doing this under my name as the items accompanying and following belong to our entire family? Is this the case or could it get more complicated?

Many Thanks
I remember fretting about this "Goods to Follow" list too, but if I were you I would just make one list in your name with all the stuff you and your family intend to bring at a later date, there is not limit on this list, so put it all on there, and making one list is going to keep it simple, and thats what you need at stressful times like this!

Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I remember fretting about this "Goods to Follow" list too, but if I were you I would just make one list in your name with all the stuff you and your family intend to bring at a later date, there is not limit on this list, so put it all on there, and making one list is going to keep it simple, and thats what you need at stressful times like this!
Thanks as that is how I am thinking also! It was mighty stressful prior to our stuff being removed but now it's gone the clouds seem to have lifted. Not quite at the end of the journey but things "seem" more manageable now.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 3:06 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

One list is fine, but as far as you being the only one settling just know that Canada doesnt see it like that, my situation was almost identical to yours and wife and kids are considered 'Returning Residents' which is almost the same as 'New Residents' from an importing goods point of view; it doesnt make any difference really but just wanted to make that clear that a single list for all of your collective family items is what you should be doing.
Good luck, remember the people at customs are used to this and were very welcoming and helpful.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
One list is fine, but as far as you being the only one settling just know that Canada doesnt see it like that, my situation was almost identical to yours and wife and kids are considered 'Returning Residents' which is almost the same as 'New Residents' from an importing goods point of view; it doesnt make any difference really but just wanted to make that clear that a single list for all of your collective family items is what you should be doing.
Good luck, remember the people at customs are used to this and were very welcoming and helpful.
Thank you for validating my working assumption!