Drugs in BC

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:12 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drugs in BC

drugs are everywhere in every city in the world. if you're worried about where not to go then find a police station and ask them which bits to avoid like the plague. that and just apply some good old fashioned common sense as you go: blocks of boarded up businesses usually mean drugs, prostitution and personal crime.

drugs are pretty rampant here in the uk and they go hand in glove with personal crime but the difference between the uk and vancouver is that uk cities are smaller and more densely populated (except london obviously) and so the drug problem is more spread out rather than isolated to say surrey and DTES. at least they in a clearly defined location in vancouver and you can choose to avoid it. weed isn't an issue as stoned people are more inclined to laugh at your shoes than mug you! (the uk is the only nation on earth that uses the noun "glass" as a verb...)

last time i was in vancouver i was out until the small hours and felt perfectly safe even though i may have seemed like a tourist. compare the crime statistics of vancouver with any major world city and you'll see that it's pretty safe to be in. http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ca-canada/cri-crime
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
From what I understand Surrey is not the nicest place. Certainly the areas of Vancouver we visited seemed reletively drug free.

I have lived most of my life in the cotswolds and while it is very much a middle class haven, drugs do exist.

The only occasion we saw drug users openly was between gastown and chinatown. But then we met a reformed herion addict while in the large chinese garden and he told us how Vancouver does have a drug problem.

So I guess my attitude is where there are people, there are drugs. But there is a difference from this and when you see it openly all around you.

We did not see any signs of drug use in the suburb areas of Vancouver we visit, i.e Coquitlaim, Port Moody, Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows. But you have to be aware that they can always exist there.

oh it's big in maple ridge alright , Though i have worked in gastown and around open harmer park it is a bit rough to say the least
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:41 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chazcanning
oh it's big in maple ridge alright , Though i have worked in gastown and around open harmer park it is a bit rough to say the least
Oppenheimer Park is ground zero for drugs in Canada! Not suprised you left with the impression that you did.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on California - do the right thing!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I saw an interview recently with a California Sheriff who claimed even if the proposition passed it wouldn't make any difference to them.

Possibly something to do with state and federal laws but I can't remember for sure.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I saw an interview recently with a California Sheriff who claimed even if the proposition passed it wouldn't make any difference to them.

Possibly something to do with state and federal laws but I can't remember for sure.
It's not looking likely according to polls anyway. Shame, the news just said that 70% of BC's drug crop goes there. That would be a lot of violent criminals out of business.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:56 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Close but no cigar or should I say spliff.

54% against vs 46% for.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:30 am
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

just imagine what the result would have been if all the stoners had actually got off their butts and voted... still, it was close though.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Drugs, booze, bags of glue..... they have been present in most places i have lived in. Gangs were most prominent for me in LA. Like in London, i am sure i frequently rub shoulders with gangsters in Vancouver without realising it.

But as said, at least the junky side of the community over here, whilst more conspicuous than in the UK, do seem to be more passive.

East Hastings is Zombieland. I can sympathise with those on the eastside of town, who are incurring the dynamic of 'undesirable types' moving into their once, 'character' neighbourhoods, but humans do tend to move about a bit.

The point i am flailing to make, is that such things are international, varying in abundance from place to place and will only impact your life, if you choose to live amoungst it and mix with those who indulge in it.