Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drivng License?

Drivng License?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Drivng License?

Originally Posted by AndreaandJoe
Hi guys,

I'm very new to this so please bare! Will having my full UK driving licensemean I will be able to drive in Canada or will I have to re-test?

Thanks in advance

Andrea
Each Province has it`s on ideas / rules - check the Provincial Gov` site of ya choice.

In NB - one can use a UK licence for a maximum of 6 months.

Also some provinces will do a "swap", NB being one of them - car for car.
Any UK truck & / or bus entitlement will be lost though.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's easy in Ontario, straight swap of license within 60 days of arrival.
Does anyone know of a time limit to swop licenses in Alberta. Although we landed in Feb we are back in the UK until July and because car insurance needs renewing during that time and hubby needs a Uk license for his job we couldnt swop them. Please advise.
Thank
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:51 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallace
Does anyone know of a time limit to swop licenses in Alberta. Although we landed in Feb we are back in the UK until July and because car insurance needs renewing during that time and hubby needs a Uk license for his job we couldnt swop them. Please advise.
Thank
I phoned Wild Rose Licence & Registry at 2580 Southland Drive S.W., Calgary (telephone 403-251-0367). They are one of the private companies that are authorised to issue licences in Alberta. The woman who answered the phone said you were supposed to exchange a British licence for an Alberta one as soon as possible after arriving. However, when I asked her if there was a specific deadline, she said there was not.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I phoned Wild Rose Licence & Registry at 2580 Southland Drive S.W., Calgary (telephone 403-251-0367). They are one of the private companies that are authorised to issue licences in Alberta. The woman who answered the phone said you were supposed to exchange a British licence for an Alberta one as soon as possible after arriving. However, when I asked her if there was a specific deadline, she said there was not.
Thank you Judy I appreciate that. WE will swop them as soon as we arrive in the summer (can't wait) Just have to see out the school year here!!!