British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Driving to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/driving-usa-804414/)

dg31 Jul 29th 2013 2:10 pm

Driving to the USA

Some friends and I are planning a trip to the US for an NFL game later on this year.

I have a UK passport and my Canadian PR card.
I have a valid ESTA from previous visits (where I flew).

Is there anything else that I need to arrange beforehand? I've read that there's a nominal charge that allows 90 days' access; is this sorted out at the border or is it something that I need to sort out in advance?

Thanks.

Former Lancastrian Jul 29th 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Driving to the USA

Have $6 in US funds and it can be done at the border.

JB0591 Jul 29th 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by dg31 (Post 10824857)
Some friends and I are planning a trip to the US for an NFL game later on this year.

Is there anything else that I need to arrange beforehand? I've read that there's a nominal charge that allows 90 days' access; is this sorted out at the border or is it something that I need to sort out in advance?

Thanks.

You will need $6 per person in USD (cash). This only applies to those not holding Canadian passports.

Depending on your border crossing they will give you a white or green I90 form. Some crossing will use ESTA data and give you a white form in the passport, some will not and give you a green one. The US border office will ask where you are going and for how long.

When you return you use your PR card and passport. The Canadian border officer should ask if you want to return the i90 (they are valid for 90 days) and remove them from your passport for you. There is limits to what you can bring back so read up on it if you are thinking of going shopping.

dbd33 Jul 29th 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks.

You need US$6 in cash and should allow an hour at the border for the processing of the I94W visa waiver. On return you can hand the I94 in to the Canadian border person or you can keep it and reuse it for the 90 days; the trick being to know which is your last trip in the 90 days so as to avoid having to go to America just to get rid of it.

dg31 Jul 29th 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks guys; I'll make sure I have the US cash.

JB0591 Jul 29th 2013 2:27 pm

Just so you are aware if you *forget* to hand in the form you can send it to an address in USA. They require evidence that you left the country.

You dont get any feedback on it so the next time you cross the border you find out if they accepted your evidence.

Some people have reported on here that they didnt give it back and had no issues crossing into USA.

james.mc Jul 30th 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JB0591 (Post 10824882)
Just so you are aware if you *forget* to hand in the form you can send it to an address in USA. They require evidence that you left the country.

You dont get any feedback on it so the next time you cross the border you find out if they accepted your evidence.

Some people have reported on here that they didnt give it back and had no issues crossing into USA.

For future reference I was wondering what that address might be? Or is it printed on the form?

Former Lancastrian Jul 30th 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 10826269)
For future reference I was wondering what that address might be? Or is it printed on the form?

Google is your friend
If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU

1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

USA

james.mc Jul 30th 2013 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10826477)
Google is your friend
If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU

1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

USA

Cheers:thumbup:

smivers Jul 30th 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10826477)
along with any documentation that proves you left the United States

"Enclosed is a photo of me holding today's newspaper in front of the Calgary tower."

MrWindUpBird Jul 30th 2013 6:43 pm

I've always been able to pay the $6 by credit card.

On the visa waiver form, the Canadian border officers probably won't automatically take it (As the checkin agent does when you catch a plane), you'll have to remind them.

MarylandNed Jul 30th 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by smivers (Post 10826960)
"Enclosed is a photo of me holding today's newspaper in front of the Calgary tower."

Photoshop is your friend.

Aqua Jul 30th 2013 9:02 pm

You can pay the $6 by card as well

Greenhill Jul 30th 2013 9:42 pm

If your ESTA was a recent one, then check the stamp you received in your passport for that trip. If you'll return from your road trip before that stamp expires then you don't need an I94 nor will you have to pay $6.

Originally Posted by dg31 (Post 10824868)
Thanks guys; I'll make sure I have the US cash.

And if you do have to get an I94 then make sure you hand it back to Former Lancastrian on your way back across the border. He really likes having to take the short walk to America to drop them off. Gives him a break from the stresses of the day etc. :)

Former Lancastrian Jul 31st 2013 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10827447)
If your ESTA was a recent one, then check the stamp you received in your passport for that trip. If you'll return from your road trip before that stamp expires then you don't need an I94 nor will you have to pay $6.

And if you do have to get an I94 then make sure you hand it back to Former Lancastrian on your way back across the border. He really likes having to take the short walk to America to drop them off. Gives him a break from the stresses of the day etc. :)

Bollocks to walking it can go via mail :lol:
Luckily we have a NEXUS office within walking distance at the airport so we just toss them at the US officer,