Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving to the USA

Driving to the USA

Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all
Default Driving to the USA

Some friends and I are planning a trip to the US for an NFL game later on this year.

I have a UK passport and my Canadian PR card.
I have a valid ESTA from previous visits (where I flew).

Is there anything else that I need to arrange beforehand? I've read that there's a nominal charge that allows 90 days' access; is this sorted out at the border or is it something that I need to sort out in advance?

Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to the USA

Have $6 in US funds and it can be done at the border.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:13 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dg31 View Post
Some friends and I are planning a trip to the US for an NFL game later on this year.

Is there anything else that I need to arrange beforehand? I've read that there's a nominal charge that allows 90 days' access; is this sorted out at the border or is it something that I need to sort out in advance?

Thanks.
You will need $6 per person in USD (cash). This only applies to those not holding Canadian passports.

Depending on your border crossing they will give you a white or green I90 form. Some crossing will use ESTA data and give you a white form in the passport, some will not and give you a green one. The US border office will ask where you are going and for how long.

When you return you use your PR card and passport. The Canadian border officer should ask if you want to return the i90 (they are valid for 90 days) and remove them from your passport for you. There is limits to what you can bring back so read up on it if you are thinking of going shopping.

Last edited by JB0591; Jul 29th 2013 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
You need US$6 in cash and should allow an hour at the border for the processing of the I94W visa waiver. On return you can hand the I94 in to the Canadian border person or you can keep it and reuse it for the 90 days; the trick being to know which is your last trip in the 90 days so as to avoid having to go to America just to get rid of it.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Thanks guys; I'll make sure I have the US cash.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:27 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Just so you are aware if you *forget* to hand in the form you can send it to an address in USA. They require evidence that you left the country.

You dont get any feedback on it so the next time you cross the border you find out if they accepted your evidence.

Some people have reported on here that they didnt give it back and had no issues crossing into USA.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:23 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591 View Post
Just so you are aware if you *forget* to hand in the form you can send it to an address in USA. They require evidence that you left the country.

You dont get any feedback on it so the next time you cross the border you find out if they accepted your evidence.

Some people have reported on here that they didnt give it back and had no issues crossing into USA.
For future reference I was wondering what that address might be? Or is it printed on the form?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
For future reference I was wondering what that address might be? Or is it printed on the form?
Google is your friend
If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU

1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

USA
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:59 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Google is your friend
If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

DHS - CBP SBU

1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

USA
Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
along with any documentation that proves you left the United States
"Enclosed is a photo of me holding today's newspaper in front of the Calgary tower."
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

I've always been able to pay the $6 by credit card.

On the visa waiver form, the Canadian border officers probably won't automatically take it (As the checkin agent does when you catch a plane), you'll have to remind them.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers View Post
"Enclosed is a photo of me holding today's newspaper in front of the Calgary tower."
Photoshop is your friend.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

You can pay the $6 by card as well
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:42 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

If your ESTA was a recent one, then check the stamp you received in your passport for that trip. If you'll return from your road trip before that stamp expires then you don't need an I94 nor will you have to pay $6.

Thanks guys; I'll make sure I have the US cash.
And if you do have to get an I94 then make sure you hand it back to Former Lancastrian on your way back across the border. He really likes having to take the short walk to America to drop them off. Gives him a break from the stresses of the day etc.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Greenhill View Post
If your ESTA was a recent one, then check the stamp you received in your passport for that trip. If you'll return from your road trip before that stamp expires then you don't need an I94 nor will you have to pay $6.

And if you do have to get an I94 then make sure you hand it back to Former Lancastrian on your way back across the border. He really likes having to take the short walk to America to drop them off. Gives him a break from the stresses of the day etc.
Bollocks to walking it can go via mail
Luckily we have a NEXUS office within walking distance at the airport so we just toss them at the US officer,