Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving NS to Florida

Driving NS to Florida

Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving NS to Florida

Hi, I'm sure I remember someone else on here asking about this but can't find the thread.
I am driving to Florida next week with my 3 children (14, 11 and 7) and looking for any advice. Please. Don't tell me not to do it - I have to as I am meeting up with my parents for my Dad's 70th birthday, but can't afford to fly.
I'm hoping to complete the journey in 3-4 days and need suggestions for places to stop en route. It is just me driving but the children are all good traveller's so shouldn't be too difficult
Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving NS to Florida

Hi, I'm sure I remember someone else on here asking about this but can't find the thread.
This maybe?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Perfect, thank you.

Howefamily - how was the journey?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:05 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a cray idea, i have spoken to quite a few people who have driven to Florida, once.

I drove from Toronto to North Carolina then Virginia Beach then Philly then back via Saracuse.

I drove 500km a day, this took aprox 7-8 hours a day at or close to the speed limit.

I think 8 hours is long enough for driving with a 30 min break at about 4 hours. But you could push it to a 12 hour a day drive, or even share the driving.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Where in Florida??? 3 - 4 days is realistic if you drive 8 - 10 hours a day, You have 2 major obstacles - New York and Washington - both are horrendous at rush hour ie 6 - 10am and 4 - 8pm

I would aim for Hartford CT day 1

Rocky Mount NC day 2

Savannah GA / Jacksonville FL day 3

Destination FL day 4
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

We're going to Orlando. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate them.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Takes 2 days to drive from Orlando to North New Jersey...staying overnight around SC/NC. Sorry I can't help you driving further north.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merry
I am driving to Florida next week with my 3 children (14, 11 and 7) and looking for any advice. Please. Don't tell me not to do it - I have to as I am meeting up with my parents for my Dad's 70th birthday, but can't afford to fly.

Thanks
Just remember when you get there you have the riveting drive back...I've done it once from Ontario to Florida and the endless repitition of chain restaurants,chain hotels, crap food and mind numbing american radio made the thought of driving back pretty dire when we were in florida.

Good luck and make sure to pick up coupons for hotels when you enter a state at their interstate welcome centre.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, you don't after all, need an international driver permit in Florida, but it won't hurt to be aware of the debacle.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:49 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merry, not done it yet as we had to postpone to October (changed job and need to be at work in March)
Still looking forward to it, still cant wait.

I have been researching how to keep the kids happy and have met stacks of people who constantly do it - so enjoy!
And please let us know how it went
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:26 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to complete the journey in 3-4 days and need suggestions for places to stop en route. It is just me driving but the children are all good traveller's so shouldn't be too difficult
Thanks
Hi I have friends in NS who do it on a regular basis.They always take 3 days and 2 nights in hotel driving approx 10 hours each day. They avoid NYC and Washington......they swear by going the usual route (Moncton..Houlton..I95) as far as Hartford, CT they then bear right and end up bypassing NYC etc on the I81 (The next big North - South Interstate to the left) going down the Shenandoah valley then onto to Roanoke, VA Charlotte NC before rejoining the I95 back down in South Carolina they usually stop 1st night Hartford and Second Night at Roanoke, VA.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, the three children and I made it safely to Florida. I drove from NS to Portsmouth, NH on the first day. Driving in NS, NB and northern Maine was fine. We had to wait more than two hours at the border because apparently the computer systems were down. The last three and a half hours were driving through a snowstorm in Southern Maine at no more than 30mph.

The second day I drove through MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD and DC, arriving in Alexandria, VA for the night. I drove through Manhattan and over the George Washington bridge and through the centre of Washington with no delays whatsoever.

Day three I drove VA to Savannah, Georgia - again with no delays. Driving time was around 10-11 hours each day which I found was fine.

Yesterday, I arrived in Orlando. After a relatively eventless trip we got stuck in a three hour traffic jam within an hour of Orlando - typical!, but at least we are here now.

The children were all fine and didn't cause as much chaos as they do on a usual half hour journey home from Halifax.

Now to find out how the return journey goes in ten days time...
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:11 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Well Done
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the three children and I made it safely to Florida. I drove from NS to Portsmouth, NH on the first day. Driving in NS, NB and northern Maine was fine. We had to wait more than two hours at the border because apparently the computer systems were down. The last three and a half hours were driving through a snowstorm in Southern Maine at no more than 30mph.

The second day I drove through MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD and DC, arriving in Alexandria, VA for the night. I drove through Manhattan and over the George Washington bridge and through the centre of Washington with no delays whatsoever.

Day three I drove VA to Savannah, Georgia - again with no delays. Driving time was around 10-11 hours each day which I found was fine.

Yesterday, I arrived in Orlando. After a relatively eventless trip we got stuck in a three hour traffic jam within an hour of Orlando - typical!, but at least we are here now.

The children were all fine and didn't cause as much chaos as they do on a usual half hour journey home from Halifax.

Brilliant. Thanks for the real-time update too. Enjoy FL.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:04 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info! Now have an awesome holiday!!!