Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in NS after 90 days

Driving in NS after 90 days

Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice
Default Driving in NS after 90 days

Hi all,

We are coming over for 6 months at the end of April on a visitors visa. (assuming they give us a 6 month visa) I know you can drive for 90 days on your UK license but what do you have to do next. Can you take a NS driving test as a non resident and then continue to drive if you pass of course? We are intending to purchase our own car when we get to NS as we are intending to be in the community route of the NSNP.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:07 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in NS after 90 days

I assume you just go to the Access Nova Scotia office on Mumford road and sit the written test and do the practical test. I dont imagine it matters that you wont be residents, we are only here on a WP at the moment. You will need to go there to register your vehicle anyway as the driver gets the plates not the car......if you see what I mean.

Oh, not sure where you do all that actually, as I see you are going to based on the North Shore - someone else can advise.

But anyway, the roadcode is online, and you can take the tests any time in that 90 day period. But the longer you leave it, the less time you have to do it over - not that anyone has had to I think I read somewhere. We are about to do it ourselves.

And a word to the wise - car insurance, which is scary expensive, is less so with proof of previous insurance/no-claims and an NS license.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:54 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to info you require about driving for non-residents in Nova Scotia.

Here is a link to all the driving service centres in NS

Here is the driver's handbook.

We got our insurance through a local broker who recognises previous good driving history in the UK. PM me for details.

The fact that we had no NS drivers license when we bought and insured our car did not make a difference to the original quote. When we went to renew after 1 claim-free year, our quote dropped from $1050 ($950 after multi-policy quote) to $741. This is for a 2006 Honda CR-V.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Thanks for the info and will pm you later for the info. Thanks again