Driving in NS

Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Neil and Karla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in NS

I have read that I will need to take a NS driving test within 90 days of arriving in NS. I was wondering if this is the same for my motorcycle license? If so, has anyone had experience of the motorcycle test and will I have to start again on something like a 125?!!!!

Also (sorry!) my wife has a provisional license in the UK, what are the procedures for NS? Will she have to attend the driver training etc and will she be restricted as to what she can drive? Does anyone think there is anything to be gained by doing a quick intensive course before arriving in NS or would that be a waste of time/money?

If anyone knows any pitfalls for new arrivals in NS (start work feb) please let us know! We are a little nervous!!

Thank you!

Neil & Karla
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in NS

Originally Posted by Neil and Karla
I have read that I will need to take a NS driving test within 90 days of arriving in NS. I was wondering if this is the same for my motorcycle license? If so, has anyone had experience of the motorcycle test and will I have to start again on something like a 125?!!!!

Also (sorry!) my wife has a provisional license in the UK, what are the procedures for NS? Will she have to attend the driver training etc and will she be restricted as to what she can drive? Does anyone think there is anything to be gained by doing a quick intensive course before arriving in NS or would that be a waste of time/money?

If anyone knows any pitfalls for new arrivals in NS (start work feb) please let us know! We are a little nervous!!

Thank you!

Neil & Karla

There are several posts already regarding Nova Scotia and driving. We did ours within 2 months on landing and found it easy. Theory one day and then practical a couple weeks later. I think you will have to do bike license again.

Your wife may be restricted, may be worth getting her to do her test in the UK even if in a automatic. Not sure if taking lessons will help her here in NS but I find the driving in most parts a lot different than the UK and can drive several kms without seeing other traffic so a lot will depend on where you will be living
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Driving in NS

Originally Posted by Neil and Karla

Thank you!

Neil & Karla
Hi
When you pass your car test you can tell them you also have a UK motorcycle license and they will put that on your NS licence. There is no need to take another test for your bike. as for your wife it would be much better for her to have a UK licence before she arrives as this should prevent her having it go on the NS graduated driver pro gramme and it will make your life easier when you arrive.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me

Regards

Winston
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hi
When you pass your car test you can tell them you also have a UK motorcycle license and they will put that on your NS licence. There is no need to take another test for your bike.
Are you sure about this Winston? I've read elsewhere that in NS you have to take the bike test again too.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:51 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/RMV/paal380.asp

Also, here is the NS Driver's Handbook:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/licence/handbook.asp

Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
This seems to imply that car and bike tests have to be retaken if you're British.