Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving licence if you return to UK

Driving licence if you return to UK

Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence if you return to UK

Originally Posted by iaink
pretend to be canadian
Good God man, I've neither the clothes nor the accent.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a great response!!

And what a lot of devious minds. I admit I hadn't thought to get new ones on the "oops Iv'e lost my licence" route, before going to Canada.
They might be a bit suss as there are 4 of us and if we all "loose" them at the same time it may look a little odd.

But from some of the replies it seems that we may just be able to apply for a new one should we ever need it.

Thanks all

Penny
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all

Have they introduced mandatory UK photocard licenses yet, or would my UK big bity of pink paper license still be kosha?
The old pink licences are still valid until they expire - the new ones are photocards.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgoose
The old pink licences are still valid until they expire - the new ones are photocards.
Thanks, thats OK then, I think mine expires some time in the latter half of this century...none of this need to renew (or at least pay for a replacement) every 5 years business as far as i recall!

Last edited by iaink; Jan 4th 2007 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good God man, I've neither the clothes nor the accent.
You dont have to pretend to be a "born in canada" canadian lord knows those are few and far between

Last edited by iaink; Jan 4th 2007 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

...none of this need to renew (or at least pa for a replacement) every 5 years business as far as i recall!
Consider yourself lucky it's only every five years.

Mine is every two and it took some argument get get that it was every year for a while with a medical to boot.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Consider yourself lucky it's only every five years.

Mine is every two and it took some argument get get that it was every year for a while with a medical to boot.
Isnt it nice to know they care soooo much about your wellbeing
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:58 pm

Isnt it nice to know they care soooo much about your wellbeing
Expensive PIA for me though.

Doctor keeps writing on their form "Normal healthy male" and it comes back renew in two years.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Steve - I'd frame that "Normal healthy male" bit - you never know when you might need it
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
Steve - I'd frame that "Normal healthy male" bit - you never know when you might need it

Very true, other than in this case I've been called numerous things and "normal" isn't one of them.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
so then you have them when you arrive?? hire cars cheaper??
I found the opposite, whilst still living in the UK I used to fib about country of residence being Canada (why not, I had the passport ) and always found Avis rates to be slightly cheaper that way than if I'd chosen "UK".

There's a thread about having Canadian/GB license at the same time over in the UK forum too.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled from BC to Saskatchewan to exchange my UK car/bike licence for a Canadian one (to save the hassle of having to take 2 tests). My UK licence was just photocopied, then handed back to me, so the 'extra/lost' UK licence I got in the UK before emigrating wasn't necessary.

Having said that, the lady in Regina's driving licence bureau seemed pretty flustered by having to process UK licences - we talked her through the process and she just followed our instructions and thanked us for our help
Perhaps we just forgot to mention that the licences are meant to be given up....
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:13 pm
Dazed & Confused

therobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud of

I'm landing in Toronto and I am thinking of swapping my UK licence. I will then be heading to BC a few months later to live. Will I have to do the test or will they swap my Ontario licence?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by therobbos
I'm landing in Toronto and I am thinking of swapping my UK licence. I will then be heading to BC a few months later to live. Will I have to do the test or will they swap my Ontario licence?

Check this thread for BC info - it gets confusing. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412863
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:42 pm
Dazed & Confused

therobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud oftherobbos has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Driving licence if you return to UK

Thanks Biiiink.....I'll just take the test me thinks. I thought it was too easy!!! i have emailed the licensing people in BC to get a definitive answer I will update you all when they tell me I have to take a test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.