Driving Licence Exchange

Wikiposts

Driving Licence Exchange

Old Jan 9th 2022, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Ginger01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence Exchange

Hi all,

I've had a search but can't find anything on this in this forum.

I'm moving to Ottawa and would like to exhange my UK licence for an Ontario licence. I've been driving for 10 years so will only need to have an eye test to get the transfer. The Ontario website says the following "If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French.".

I'm having trouble working out what an "official letter" is. I've done a bit more research and found something that says I can use a "letter of entitlement" but this doesn't seem to help at all.

Has anyone done this before? If so, which document did you use?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2022, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Ginger01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Licence Exchange

Can't delete but have now found the information here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...g%20experience.
Old Jan 12th 2022, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a photo card license you don’t need the letter.

I didn’t have my license for two years so I just waited 6 months and then exchanged it for a G license.

Insurance will also reset unfortunately so you’ll be treated as a new driver, although some folks appear to have luck transferring no claims from the UK. I didn’t.
Old Jan 15th 2022, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point

We exchanged ours in Nova Scotia and didn't need any other paperwork, you just hand your British license in and they give you a Canadian one. We used Johnson for insurance because they were the only firm who would give us a no claims discount for our British history, but only for 5 years. Make sure you keep as many old insurance certificates as you can to show them.