Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

driving licence alberta

driving licence alberta

Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

johnbrady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving licence alberta

Hi. Moving to alberta from the UK shortly. Can anyone tell me how i exchange my driving licence. And does it matter that i still have the old style UK licence
Thanks
John
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving licence alberta

Originally Posted by johnbrady
Hi. Moving to alberta from the UK shortly. Can anyone tell me how i exchange my driving licence. And does it matter that i still have the old style UK licence
Hi John and welcome to BE.

If by old style you mean it was issued before 1976 then I afraid you can't exchange it, you'll have to take a driving test.

All the info you may need is is this wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver...icence-Alberta
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnbrady
Thanks
John
Hi John,

Steve has answered the question but just wanted to welcome you to BE. What part of Alberta are you moving to and what brings you here?

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:52 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Hi John...

Just exchange your old style UK license for the new UK style one, then, when you get to Canada, exchange your new UK license for a Canadian one.

M.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks loser40. I made an assumption that the WIKI article would say something like that but upon a quick scan read, it doesn't appear to do so (maybe I will be brave an attempt a WIKI update!)

Yes, you are spot on...just change the old licence for a current version before coming out and then change again here. This URL may assist.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022084

Eamonn.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi John,

Steve has answered the question but just wanted to welcome you to BE. What part of Alberta are you moving to and what brings you here?

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
hi, im moving to the edmonton area to live and work
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

thanks everyone

john
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

John
If your old UK paper licence was issued after 1976 and is still valid you can exchange it here in Alberta. You do not need to waste your money getting the new 2 part UK licence before you leave the UK. I have taken lots of people with the old licence to get there new Alberta licence without any problems. I called the Registry Agent today to confirm nothing has changed in the last few weeks and they confirmed they will happily exchange your old paper licence. If you wanted to speak with them yourself this is there contact details -611 McRae ST, OKOTOKS Phone: (403)938-4277
Good luck Sam
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I only had the old paper one when we arrived in 2003. (Passed my test in 1982)

I had no problem swopping mine for an Albertan one .... except that they didn't know they could do it, and I had to persuade them to look it up!!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Albertabaggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Very easy to change photocard liscence just visit a registry agent and they will change for you. Takes about 20 mins