Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

driving licence

driving licence

Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point

we just took our uk licence to the winnipeg licence centre and they changed it to a canadian one without us having to do anything, also in manitoba because the car insurance is run by the province government we pay a lot less than uk only$947 a year for full insurance for a 2 year old Dodge Caravan.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Grizzlypaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Well not in my experience - I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the UK and paid 1200 pounds a year with 60% NCD. In Canada I have a GMC Jimmy - same age vehicle - not quite as high value - Im paying 2400 dollars for same level of insurance...

So thats not dreamworld - it's cheaper!

I did have quotes ranging from the 2400 up to 6000 dollars!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

well then maybe you chose a car that was highly expensive to insure than me because every car I had to insure ranged from 500 pounds to insure when I first started driving (15 years ago)to what I was paying before I left 220 quid.

In my experience and from other peoples experience car insurance in BC is considerably more now than the UK. I pay 500 quid compared t0 220 in UK.

Thats a big difference dont you think ?

Last edited by Spongebob; Dec 29th 2003 at 1:31 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by Tom Masters
Does anyone know if you have to sit a driving test if you are on a student visa (Ontario)? I know you have to sit it within 3 months as a permanent resident but not sure whether this applies to students also?

Thanks,

Chris
May be an idea to check out University of Toronto's own website which gives advice to out of province students at http://www.library.utoronto.ca/isc/c...t/driving.html

Each province seems to have it's own rules as Manitoba allows students to forgo the licence transfer if they prove they are a student. With Ontario it seems you have a year on International permit and then need to take test unless you're from a list of countries which is on the website.

You can also check out the Ministry of Transportation site at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone hve experience of Insurance in Alberta, (specifically Edmonton), I have filled in a quote form online to get an idea of how much it would cost and have been quoted $9000 !!! for a 8 year old Dodge Caravan and an 8 year old Neon, Not the most sporty cars in the world !!!

I have 5 years no claims in the UK, does anyone know any brokers that will take this into account in Alberta ??

Any advise would be greatfully appreciated.

Paul
Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bozlyone
Does anyone hve experience of Insurance in Alberta, (specifically Edmonton), I have filled in a quote form online to get an idea of how much it would cost and have been quoted $9000 !!! for a 8 year old Dodge Caravan and an 8 year old Neon, Not the most sporty cars in the world !!!

I have 5 years no claims in the UK, does anyone know any brokers that will take this into account in Alberta ??

Any advise would be greatfully appreciated.

Paul
we found your uk no claims mean nothing here,i have full uk no claims and 14 years driving with no penalties on my licence, the only thing taken into consideration was my clean driving licence.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:37 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CJ6680
we found your uk no claims mean nothing here,i have full uk no claims and 14 years driving with no penalties on my licence, the only thing taken into consideration was my clean driving licence.
I found this only to be true on the surface, once I made a fuss and had my UK broker fax my records to my Canadian broker my premium dropped.

It seems that in ontario at least the system works in reverse, rather than get a discount for proven good driving, you are penalised for proven bad driving, but maybe I am missing something. I think you cant really compare insurance markets anyway, because of the winter there is a much higher chance of getting a fender bender here than in the UK, although car related crime seems a lot worse in the UK as I remember it.

my 2 cents

Iain
Old Jan 1st 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice
Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by crazydaisy
May be an idea to check out University of Toronto's own website which gives advice to out of province students at http://www.library.utoronto.ca/isc/c...t/driving.html

Each province seems to have it's own rules as Manitoba allows students to forgo the licence transfer if they prove they are a student. With Ontario it seems you have a year on International permit and then need to take test unless you're from a list of countries which is on the website.

You can also check out the Ministry of Transportation site at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm

Thanks Craizydaizy - that was really helpful.

Chris