Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Job - Under driving jobs section

Wikiposts

Driving Job - Under driving jobs section

Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Job - Under driving jobs section

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I have been browsing and picking up information for the past few months.

I currently work with graphics and websites, and I fancy a change, and the description of the role detailed below would suit me, as it would allow me to explore Canada and the States.

How realistic is it to obtain that kind of work? I guess the other essential is to ensure the regularity of work.

I was wondering, does anybody know the chap/chapess who was quoted with the following:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Independent contractor

A driver who has driven for a company and feels confident about his knowledge of North American conditions may want to become an independent contractor.

One driver, now retired, reported to this website that he had hired out his services, along with his own one ton Ford Van, to carry freight that was "high value and time sensitive," such as engine parts for urgent commercial air craft repairs. He would get paid when only when his van was loaded with cargo. He was paid by the mile, from departure to delivery, by the agreed "computer miles program." He would get paid (convered to UK pounds) from 2 to 3 pounds per mile. So if he went, say, 700 miles, he might might get between 1500 and 2000 pounds for the trip, less his costs, such as fuel, insurance, plates, food and lodging. He ran flat out without any need to stop at scales, because his van was "too small to be weighed," and he didn't have to keep a "log book " either.

He reported to this website that it was not unusual for him to drive across the continent (about 4,000 miles one way) in 3 days. Sleeping for only 4 hours at a time, a trip like that would pay him over 4,000 UK pounds. After getting to California and delivering the load, he would sleep and shower, eat and rest for 24 hours, then return east, hoping to "get a load " that would take him home to Toronto. He drove over 150,000 milers per year. I did that for about 5 years, then retired.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Job - Under driving jobs section

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you 'currently work with graphics and websites', then do you actually have the relevant trucking experience? Note that for a LMO your employer would need to prove that you're more qualified than any Canadians that have applied, so experience and/or qualifications as a trucker are a must, plus you'd need the 2-3 years experience as mentioned in the article you've linked to. I'm just not clear from what you've said whether that applies to you?

No idea who the 'independent contractor' was mentioned in the article, but a quick forum search might reveal the answer.

Good luck.