Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Halifax

Driving in Halifax

Old May 7th 2007, 7:21 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bedford
Posts: 69
Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Default Driving in Halifax

As there seem to be a few people heading this way over the next few weeks, I thought it might be worth reminding people that when driving in Halifax, and NS, look out for pedestrians. Many just get to the crossings and don't break stride before stepping out into the road. There have been a couple of deaths in recent time on crossings so it is a problem. If you are not used to it, it can be a bit scary. Also, not all the crossings have overhead lights, so you really do need to keep your wits about you. There are not so many students around at the moment, so fewer pedestrians, but it is something to be aware of. Also, watch your speed on the highway - we have a couple of resident traffic cops on the 102 near the Bayers Lake turn off. Stick to the speed limit and you will be okay. It is hard when you have a long stretch of road and no traffic, but they do seem to be quite vigilant about speeding around here.
Halifax harpie is offline  
Old May 7th 2007, 10:29 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
moonraker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 128
moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie View Post
As there seem to be a few people heading this way over the next few weeks, I thought it might be worth reminding people that when driving in Halifax, and NS, look out for pedestrians. Many just get to the crossings and don't break stride before stepping out into the road. There have been a couple of deaths in recent time on crossings so it is a problem. If you are not used to it, it can be a bit scary. Also, not all the crossings have overhead lights, so you really do need to keep your wits about you. There are not so many students around at the moment, so fewer pedestrians, but it is something to be aware of. Also, watch your speed on the highway - we have a couple of resident traffic cops on the 102 near the Bayers Lake turn off. Stick to the speed limit and you will be okay. It is hard when you have a long stretch of road and no traffic, but they do seem to be quite vigilant about speeding around here.
You definitely need your wits about when approaching crosswalks as Harpie says. In Windsor a kid riding a bike on the pavement suddely veered onto the crosswalk (not well signed) without looking causing us to brake very sharply. We have seen a number of near misses on the exits on the Armdale Rotary as vehicles brake for pedestrians using the crosswalks. As Harpie has said there have been a couple of pedestrians killed on crossings recently.

It is also a good idea if it is your first time driving here to familiarise yourself with the rules relating to school buses. When stopping to pick up or drop off kids their lights flash and traffic must stop and not pass in either direction. It is disconcerting to see children appear around the front of the bus and cross the road without looking in either direction if you are not used to it.
moonraker is offline  
Old May 8th 2007, 12:28 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 344
Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Useful links for tourists.

http://www.checkinnovascotia.com/Pub.../jobOffers.asp
http://www.legalinfo.org/tips.html

Yep-driving with pedestrians around is very different here. If cars see you standing at the edge of the sidewalk they will stop for you - no matter that you didn't intend to cross the road. They are very kind.

It is part of the traffic laws though- every block ending whether it is marked as a crosswalk or not is legally a crosswalk and though the pedestrians should check for traffic they are so used to that right they do not do what they are supposed to do and quite often just set off acrosss the road expecting everyone to be able to stop.

That is one disadvantage living here that I would agree with. Wish they would come up with better crosswalk/traffic lights. The red stop ones as in the Uk would be better than the sudden flashing yellow lights here.

Take care everyone.
Liana is offline  
Old May 8th 2007, 10:19 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 478
Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie View Post
As there seem to be a few people heading this way over the next few weeks, I thought it might be worth reminding people that when driving in Halifax, and NS, look out for pedestrians. Many just get to the crossings and don't break stride before stepping out into the road. There have been a couple of deaths in recent time on crossings so it is a problem. If you are not used to it, it can be a bit scary. Also, not all the crossings have overhead lights, so you really do need to keep your wits about you. There are not so many students around at the moment, so fewer pedestrians, but it is something to be aware of. Also, watch your speed on the highway - we have a couple of resident traffic cops on the 102 near the Bayers Lake turn off. Stick to the speed limit and you will be okay. It is hard when you have a long stretch of road and no traffic, but they do seem to be quite vigilant about speeding around here.
We're out to NS next week, so I'm interested to see these coments !
Are the speed limits clearly marked ?
Also, when I was in BC last year they have a rule about being able to turn right on a red light. Does that also aply to NS ?
Southcote is offline  
Old May 9th 2007, 12:13 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
moonraker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 128
moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Southcote View Post
We're out to NS next week, so I'm interested to see these coments !
Are the speed limits clearly marked ?
Also, when I was in BC last year they have a rule about being able to turn right on a red light. Does that also aply to NS ?
Speed limits are generally well marked and observed. Yes you can turn on a red light if you are clear to do so ie nothing coming from your left.
moonraker is offline  
Old May 9th 2007, 12:56 am
  #6  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,703
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Some intersections have 'no right turn on a red light' sign.

Here is the Nova Scotia Driver's handbook

Refer to Section 2 for rules of the road. Read rules for who has right of way at a 4-way stop.

Pedestrians should also be aware of how to cross the road at either a marked or unmarked crosswalk. There are also rules to follow at traffic lights which do NOT have 'walk' / 'don't walk' symbols.

Never in any circumstances cross the road diagonally

Enjoy your trip to Nova Scotia. The weather has been great the last few days. Dare I say it, but I think that summer may be on its way
Cookie is offline  
Old May 9th 2007, 10:04 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 478
Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do View Post
The weather has been great the last few days. Dare I say it, but I think that summer may be on its way
I've had a look on www.theweathernetwork.com tonight- looks like the high temperatures are about to fall - not too badly, but it'll certainly be a little cooler over the next couple of weeks
Southcote is offline  
Old May 9th 2007, 10:25 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bedford
Posts: 69
Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Southcote View Post
I've had a look on www.theweathernetwork.com tonight- looks like the high temperatures are about to fall - not too badly, but it'll certainly be a little cooler over the next couple of weeks
weather has been amazing the last couple of days, around 25 deg and sunny.
The gardens have just suddenly burst into life and there is so much colour everywhere - even the grass is starting to go green again.
Norm for this time of year is around 14 degs. which it is due to drop down to over the weekend. Don't forget to bring a couple of warm items of clothing as it can still cool down considerably at night, especially as there is very little cloud cover at the moment.
Halifax harpie is offline  
Old May 9th 2007, 10:33 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 478
Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie View Post
weather has been amazing the last couple of days, around 25 deg and sunny.
The gardens have just suddenly burst into life and there is so much colour everywhere - even the grass is starting to go green again.
Norm for this time of year is around 14 degs. which it is due to drop down to over the weekend. Don't forget to bring a couple of warm items of clothing as it can still cool down considerably at night, especially as there is very little cloud cover at the moment.
Can't wait now ! I notice you live in Bedford - we saw some great new houses on Southgate Road on MLS, what is this area like ?
Southcote is offline  
Old May 10th 2007, 1:02 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bedford
Posts: 69
Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Southcote View Post
Can't wait now ! I notice you live in Bedford - we saw some great new houses on Southgate Road on MLS, what is this area like ?
I am probably not the best person to ask about Southgate as it backs onto our property. When we moved in here we had a beautiful forest in our back garden. A year ago the developers moved in and cut all the trees down to build condo's - which they still haven't finished or sold. They are still blasting out here and continue to develop, so lots of mess and noise. The properties along Southgate are very new, small gardens, no fences, so if you have young children maybe not the best area to look at. A mixture of condo's and expensive houses, many seem to have been on the market for sometime. Property taxes have gone up quite a bit since we moved here 18 months ago. We are now paying about $3000 a year for a 4 bed house. You do though have easy access to highways and airport, it's close to schools and shops - especially Pete's Frootique at Sunnyside. Personally I think Eaglewood and Old Bedford subdivisons offer more value for money, the houses are slightly older but you have larger, usually fenced, gardens.
Halifax harpie is offline  
Old May 10th 2007, 11:09 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
NovaBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hubley, NS!
Posts: 546
NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by Liana View Post
Useful links for tourists.

http://www.checkinnovascotia.com/Pub.../jobOffers.asp
http://www.legalinfo.org/tips.html

Yep-driving with pedestrians around is very different here. If cars see you standing at the edge of the sidewalk they will stop for you - no matter that you didn't intend to cross the road. They are very kind.

It is part of the traffic laws though- every block ending whether it is marked as a crosswalk or not is legally a crosswalk and though the pedestrians should check for traffic they are so used to that right they do not do what they are supposed to do and quite often just set off acrosss the road expecting everyone to be able to stop.

That is one disadvantage living here that I would agree with. Wish they would come up with better crosswalk/traffic lights. The red stop ones as in the Uk would be better than the sudden flashing yellow lights here.

Take care everyone.

Great info and web pages Liana.

Thanks so much.

NovaBoy is offline  
Old May 10th 2007, 11:14 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
NovaBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hubley, NS!
Posts: 546
NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in Halifax

Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
Yes you can turn on a red light if you are clear to do so ie nothing coming from your left.
UNLESS there is a sign at the intersection saying "No Right Turn on Red"

Usually a traffic light sign with a red line diagonally through it!

Be safe out there!

Sorry y-c-d, should have read all the posts before submitting mine.

Last edited by NovaBoy; May 10th 2007 at 11:16 am. Reason: not reading all posts
NovaBoy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.