Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving in Canada

Hi Guys,

Been driving for 17 years in UK but never driven abroad on the other side of the road. In July we head to Lethbridge AB on a recce when I'll be hiring a car, to be honest I'm a little nervous about it, just wondered how any of you guys had found the experience of driving in Canada.
Thinking of driving from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge (about 2 hours), good idea or not???
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hi Guys,

Been driving for 17 years in UK but never driven abroad on the other side of the road. In July we head to Lethbridge AB on a recce when I'll be hiring a car, to be honest I'm a little nervous about it, just wondered how any of you guys had found the experience of driving in Canada.
Thinking of driving from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge (about 2 hours), good idea or not???
Canadian drivers are almost without exception the rudest, most ill disciplined bunch I have ever come across!!!!!!!

You need to keep your wits about you,

Also get a sat nav, I found calgary awkward to navigate !
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Big roads, motorways or highways, are easy on the wrong side; more so if you have a car set up for the wrong side. Be careful on small roads where no car comes along for a while, when one does you'll go to the wrong side of the road. Turning across traffic is also tricky but, if you're arriving in daylight, the trip shouldn't be too alarming.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Canadian drivers are almost without exception the rudest, most ill disciplined bunch I have ever come across!!!!!!!
Oh yes, be aware that there's no concept of lane discipline here, people drive in whichever lane they fancy.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Cheers guys, I noticed the lane discipline thing in America if its anything like that, gotta admit its the thing I'm most nervous about, not bothered about the job hunting
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Cheers guys, I noticed the lane discipline thing in America if its anything like that, gotta admit its the thing I'm most nervous about, not bothered about the job hunting
In terms of lane discipline, Americans are to Canadians as Germans are to the British. Here you can drive where you like, most people won't know if you're doing the right thing or not. Americans may have little idea but Canadians have no clue.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Yes, the use of indicators is null in Canada and possible all of North America. Very rare anyone signals, they just suddenly break and turn. I definately believe the driving standards are much worse than in Blighty, unless it`s a regional thing.

Keep an eye on the potholes, I had to get a new set of front shocks last week because of the crappy roads. They literally fall apart later winter and into spring (at least in these parts), not entirely the fault of highway/roads people with the winters they get here, but surely they can patch/build roads with a longer lasting material.

When I first came to Canada, I had never driven outside of England. It was an easy transition to drive in Canada, was a bit nervous driving in the towns with all the lights and the permitted right turn. Highways are long and boring, just watch out for the wildlife.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:15 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Very rare anyone signals, they just suddenly break and turn.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. It may be the case in NB although I doubt it. In any driving arena there will always be those that do not use turn signals but in my experience in Ontario, most people use turn signals.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Very rare anyone signals, they just suddenly break and turn.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. It may be the case in NB although I doubt it. In any driving arena there will always be those that do not use turn signals but in my experience in Ontario, most people use turn signals.
I think most people use indicators generally, although if you do it gives someone the opportunity to know where you are going to, and then they can cut you off. I sometimes wish I hadn't bothered!

Also the canadians would rather close up the gap in slow moving traffic than let you in.

I have found that toronto has the best drivers I have seen in canada - but thats not saying much!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I have found that toronto has the best drivers I have seen in canada - but thats not saying much!
That's a truly awful thought.

Something disconcerting is that people intending to turn left from a two lane road often pull into the other lane (the one with oncoming cars) to decelerate.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:12 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh yes, be aware that there's no concept of lane discipline here, people drive in whichever lane they fancy.
Yep, that drives me mad. All three lanes going the exact same speed, sometimes even the slowest in the fast lane! Alls tail-gating is a national passtime.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dboy
Yep, that drives me mad. All three lanes going the exact same speed, sometimes even the slowest in the fast lane! Alls tail-gating is a national passtime.
I often drive on roads which have one lane in each direction with stretches of dual carriageway. 70% of the time, when the road widens, the car in front of me moves to the outside lane. Almost all of the time, on that sort of road, I pass people on the wrong side - they never seem to have any idea that maybe they should think about moving right. (And I'm not racing, btw, most of those roads are posted for 50mph and I'm going 60 - the locally accepted variance for large roads).
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:32 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I find that most people in Calgary use their indicators a damn site more than I tend to do

The drive from Calgary airport to Lethbridge is a piece of p*ss, follow the signs for Highway 2 and head south. You'll be on a big highway with very little traffice, unless you hit it at around 4.50-5pm on a weekday and then it will only be the bit in Calgary, once south of the city is a doddle.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:37 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We landed at Calgary and drove 3hrs up to Edmonton. That was my first time driving on the right (wrong) side of the road, but it was easy as.

I've had a couple of momentary lapses where I've wanted to go down the other way but in general I got used to it very quickly- certainly within a week.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that Canadians have no lane discipline: there's no fast lane. You can pass, legally, in any lane. There is no express lane.

Calgary to Lethbridge is easy: as BS says - highway 2 south. It's also called the Deerfoot Trail until south of the city.

Stay below 130 and you should be OK for cops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.