Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice
Default Driving in Canada

Hey everyone!

Just wandering what driving in Canada is like? Is it more laid back than Britain? Would particulary like to know about London Ontario. Thanks in advance for replies.

Supergirly xxx
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Originally Posted by supergirly
Hey everyone!

Just wandering what driving in Canada is like? Is it more laid back than Britain? Would particulary like to know about London Ontario. Thanks in advance for replies.

Supergirly xxx
I can see this thread going on for many pages

I was scared to drive in Canada I only started to learn when I moved back here
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Lol! Yeah I'm a bit worried about driving over there. Just think it would feel weird driving on wrong side of road to what I'm used to.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Just think it would feel weird driving on wrong side of road to what I'm used to.
It's OK, the steering wheel's on the other side too. It's all planned to make things easy
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's OK, the steering wheel's on the other side too. It's all planned to make things easy
Cheeky!

Does everyone have massive cars/trucks there? I just wanna keep driving an ickle car but dont want to feel tiny compared to everyone else
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

JcJc09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheeky!

Does everyone have massive cars/trucks there? I just wanna keep driving an ickle car but dont want to feel tiny compared to everyone else
Guys and gals you will be fine! The driving part is easy, just watch for people weaving in and out of lanes!

They drive at nearly the same speed as us brits! lol.

My advice is get a gps! Its the not knowing where you are going sometimes that is the hardest!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:40 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky!

There's a trend away from over-sized vehicles, but you'll still encounter far more than you do in Europe. Just buy something that suits your needs.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cool. Thanks for the replies. Is it scary driving in the snow?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:42 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Cheeky!

That will depend on your location.

When I lived in Calgary I had never seen so many pickup trucks and Hummers... in Victoria, BC, smaller cars (and skateboarders and cyclists) dominate.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Cheeky!

My boyfriend drives a truck, and his brother drives a truck and his dad drives a truck lol...there are a lot of big cars here but you can drive little cars too just make sure you get winter tired and drive carefully.

I must say I have noticed that drivers over here like to cut across lanes without signalling when they're not meant to...i.e. they find themselves on the highway exit lane and they swerve over the boundary lines nearly hitting the bollards to remain on the highway. I swear I see it everytime we pass an exit...and yeah I know it happens everywhere else round the world too, I've just noticed it more here.

Plus you'll have to get used to that whole turning right on a red light thing

Last edited by lucieg; Jan 15th 2009 at 6:49 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2p worth:

- They stick to the fast (left) lanes even if they are going slow. You then have no choice but to overtake on the right.
- They almost never give a sign of thank you when you let them out or slow down to allow them to change lanes.
- I've seen many not signaling before making a turn.
- It's very common to see cars taking 2 parking spaces (some park right in the middle of the line) although it's also a problem in the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. Thanks for the replies. Is it scary driving in the snow?
No. At least not if you're sensible about it. Get winter tyres for your car, clear snow from all the windows before you set out, drive smoothly at a speed that suits the conditions. Life goes on.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Practice emergancy braking, skidding etc in an empty and icy parking lot - or an a lake (when frozen obviously!). It really helps.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Practice emergancy braking, skidding etc in an empty and icy parking lot - or an a lloake (when frozen obviously!). It really helps.
OMG! Going on a lake when it's frozen in a car? I flinch when I watch ice road truckers and the ice makes cracking sounds never mind trying it myself
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

If it's cold enough the ice won't crack!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.