Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving from Calgary to Vancouver in November

Driving from Calgary to Vancouver in November

Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving from Calgary to Vancouver in November

I am planning to take a road trip to Vancouver from Calgary when I am there in the middle of November. This will be my first time in Canada and I will be driving from Utah entering Alberta from Montana. I would like to go back via Vancouver-Seattle-Boise-Salt Lake City.

How bad the road condition is going to be during the month of November especially the one that goes from Calgary to Vancouver? Has anybody taken the road that goes from Lethbridge to Vancouver along the US-Canada boarder? Thanks for your time.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Calgary to Vancouver in November

Originally Posted by Want2Move
I am planning to take a road trip to Vancouver from Calgary when I am there in the middle of November. This will be my first time in Canada and I will be driving from Utah entering Alberta from Montana. I would like to go back via Vancouver-Seattle-Boise-Salt Lake City.

How bad the road condition is going to be during the month of November especially the one that goes from Calgary to Vancouver? Has anybody taken the road that goes from Lethbridge to Vancouver along the US-Canada boarder? Thanks for your time.
Highway one is going to be an easier route and better cleared. Highway 3 could be a bit dodgy. Unless you have 4 x 4 and snow tires, you'll have to carry chains otherwise usually quite passable. It may be a bit of a challenge if you have not driven much in the snow before. Windshiled chips and cracks are not uncommon. Carry a basic survivial kit on any winter road trip. Blankets, fresh water, snack bars, flashlights and substantial foot ware and a cell phone of GPS tracker.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:01 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...-Northern.html
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody taken the road that goes from Lethbridge to Vancouver along the US-Canada boarder? Thanks for your time.
We did it back in December 2007 and December/January 2004 and was a piece of cake. All depends on the weather mind you but even with snow on the ground in areas it was fine. Just be careful of ice, take it easy and don't rush.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

its doable, but just be careful and dont drive like a maniac.......
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:05 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up. Having vehicles equipped with winter tires (on all wheels) or carrying chains is mandatory on some mountain highways in BC between 1 October and 30 April. The affected roads are signed and this article gives you some background.

If you are hiring a car in the US you should probably ask whether the car is fitted with winter tires otherwise you may be in for a fine if you are caught on the signed roads in BC.

Enjoy your trip! J
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
If you are hiring a car in the US you should probably ask whether the car is fitted with winter tires
And allowed to be taken out of state and into snow conditions.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everybody for your time and suggestions. I do not have a 4x4 vehicle. I was thinking about driving my minivan. I have driven on snow for few years now and I have done so in places like Chicago-IL, Rochester-NY and Salt Lake City-Utah, but I am sure driving in Canada in the winter is lot harder. People here in the US always scare me about the weather in Canada.

It looks like the road trip is not going to be easy one. If I was alone, I would take the trip, but I will be driving with my wife and two little kids (3 and 4 years olds). I think I am not going to take a chance. I really wanted to see Vancouver and meet a good friend of mine there while I am in Alberta. Well, I will have to wait until I move to Alberta permanently next year.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:55 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said I would think twice about taking hiway 3 to Vancouver, we've driven that route a few times and you really need to be prepared for winter conditions. Trans-Canada further north has never been a real problem for us, although later in the season you could be held up in Revelstoke or Golden for a few hours whilst they clear the road of an avalanche or two.
I wouldn't let it put you off though, just drive carefully and take your time. It's not such a pretty route but the road is always clear and pretty busy, after all it is a main transportation route. You've had winter driving conditions in the US, I don't think it's much worse here.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:02 pm

To anyone driving in winter conditions - Take a small survival kit with you. I t may seem OTT, until you need it!

Several times this year Search & Rescue in BC have been out looking for drivers that never showed up at their destination. One, the car went off the road, found the 2 weeks later (was not a good outcome), the other never found. Cell phones don't always work in the mountains, a SPOT tracker is in my opinion a very cheap insurance for anyone who could find themselves in need of help, skiers, back packers, winter drivers and fliers. They also offer road side assistance as part of the program now. One guy I know of who had a SPOT in his aircraft was found 2 hours after going down, there are some out there who did not have it and were never found. Going off the mountain roads or breaking down in winter conditions can be fatal.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:30 pm
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all

The most direct route inolves Highway 5, the Coquihalla. Does it look like fun to you?

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...tml/www/2.html
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

People here in the US always scare me about the weather in Canada.
The average person in the US has never even been to Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lychee
The average person in the US has never even been to Canada.
And thinks we all live in igloos
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:22 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
And allowed to be taken out of state and into snow conditions.
Yes true - thanks for adding that - I forgot that bit ...
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for your time and suggestions. I do not have a 4x4 vehicle. I was thinking about driving my minivan. I have driven on snow for few years now and I have done so in places like Chicago-IL, Rochester-NY and Salt Lake City-Utah, but I am sure driving in Canada in the winter is lot harder. People here in the US always scare me about the weather in Canada.

It looks like the road trip is not going to be easy one. If I was alone, I would take the trip, but I will be driving with my wife and two little kids (3 and 4 years olds). I think I am not going to take a chance. I really wanted to see Vancouver and meet a good friend of mine there while I am in Alberta. Well, I will have to wait until I move to Alberta permanently next year.
In winter 95% of the time it's very doable - just long. The other 5% may involve delays for snow clearing, etc.

And you don't need winter tires per-se, but all-season tires on the Roger's Pass, which is Hwy 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.