Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in BC Info

Driving in BC Info

Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:39 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in BC Info

Apparently, you now no longer have to do a new driving test in British Columbia. The rules have changed - you used to be able to use your UK one for 6 months, I believe, but had to take a BC test to be able to drive after that. But now if you have a UK license you can just exchange it for a BC one. OH found this out this week.
Completely wasted my time downloading the BC Driving test information!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in BC Info

You can use your UK license for up to 6 months as a visitor or up to 3 months as a new resident. The rules changed very recently and now a UK license holder who has held their license for at least 2 years can exchange it for a BC driver's license.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:16 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can use your UK license for up to 6 months as a visitor or up to 3 months as a new resident. The rules changed very recently and now a UK license holder who has held their license for at least 2 years can exchange it for a BC driver's license.
Brilliant, isn't it?!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

So as a new resident you presumably have to trade your UK license in for a BC license within 3 months of taking up residence?

It is possible to hold a UK driving license and a BC driving license at the same time?

Wayne.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Waggle
So as a new resident you presumably have to trade your UK license in for a BC license within 3 months of taking up residence?

It is possible to hold a UK driving license and a BC driving license at the same time?

Wayne.
Well, you have to surrender the UK license in B.C within the first 90 days of being there and you can drive in the UK on a B.C license for a year, so there is no point having both at the same time.
There is an eyesight test as well. If you want to go back to the UK permanently, you have to exchange it back.That's what they have just told OH.
It is very useful to have Canadian I.D early on, we have found and this is a great and easy way to get it if you have a UK driving license.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
You don't give up your UK license privileges, ICBC just take the plastic license/paper away. As far as DVLA are concerned you still hold a valid UK license until yours expires.

If you are in the UK, no reason you cannot apply for a duplicate. They won't send one to an overseas address.

Cannot see a reason to need both though.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:30 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You don't give up your UK license privileges, ICBC just take the plastic license/paper away. As far as DVLA are concerned you still hold a valid UK license until yours expires.

If you are in the UK, no reason you cannot apply for a duplicate. They won't send one to an overseas address.

Cannot see a reason to need both though.
We thought that - if you really wanted you could apply for a duplicate copy of the UK one, but as you say there's no point really.
It is relief not to have to go through all the bother and expense of taking another test, though.
OH forgot to ask, but as he has his bike qualification on his UK license as well will that also transfer to the B.C license?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:34 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
happy days
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Apparently, you now no longer have to do a new driving test in British Columbia. The rules have changed - you used to be able to use your UK one for 6 months, I believe, but had to take a BC test to be able to drive after that. But now if you have a UK license you can just exchange it for a BC one. OH found this out this week.
Completely wasted my time downloading the BC Driving test information!
Is there not even a small theory test...Im sure I read that somewhere on BE

Also, when hiring a car in the UK are there any advantages to have a UK licence? Just trying to decide if we should get a duplicate.

Cheers

Lins

Last edited by LinsyPinsy; Aug 29th 2010 at 10:35 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Mental Mavis is an unknown quantity at this point

Handed my in a few weeks ago and they just wanted the plastic one, so both the OH and I kept the paper part of the licence.

In terms of the test, we weren't asked any questions, we just had to do the 'stare into the machine' eye tests, and lo and behold, a yellow short term licence was produced, and a week later, the finished article.

All very civilised.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:35 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Is there not even a small theory test...Im sure I read that somewhere on BE

Also, when hiring a car in the UK are there any advantages to have a UK licence? Just trying to decide if we should get a duplicate.

Cheers

Lins
Changes are very recent, so posts you have read may not have been bang up to date. That's why I started this thread. Thought some people might not have found out yet and might worry or waste time on it when there is no need any more
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
OH forgot to ask, but as he has his bike qualification on his UK license as well will that also transfer to the B.C license?
Now or 15 years down the road. I was told they would give me a bike license if I had my UK license to hand over (I don't anymore).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:36 am
Island life at last

Now or 15 years down the road. I was told they would give me a bike license if I had my UK license to hand over (I don't anymore).
Don't think he can wait that long! He was gutted to sell his beloved bike here and has lareday scoped out the bike shops and priced up the same bike (and bigger) in B.C!
You can take the bike away, but he's still a biker!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:00 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they will put bike licence on it too - Hubby had his updated a few weeks ago!

I still have full uk licence and a BC one cos I did mine last year (test) - so they never took my uk one off me .
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:47 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Yes they will put bike licence on it too - Hubby had his updated a few weeks ago!

I still have full uk licence and a BC one cos I did mine last year (test) - so they never took my uk one off me .
Fantastic - he will be one happy bunny
Mind you, maybe I had better not tell him or he might squander the money for my new house on some shiny super-beast that winks at him from the Harley Davidson dealership

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.