Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drivers License - Question

Drivers License - Question

Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drivers License - Question

Hi

Before you all shout at me - I did check Wiki, and couldn't find BC Driving License as a topic - hence the post.

It's a simple one....!

I hold a UK Drivers License and will want to change it when I finally get to Canada next year. Will I need to take a theory test or can I just swap it over? Likely provinces are either BC or Alberta. How long do I have to do it too?

Also - what do I need to ask for from my current insurance company - and will it be accepted by Canadian Insurers? I am currently insured with Tesco's and never have had a claim (apart from a windshield earlier this year coz of a small chip). I have read that some information given on the face of it looks the part, but it's not always worded how the Canadians want to see it! Will the letter be valid for a while as I probably won't buy a car straight away - just rent as and when I need to.

Thanks and really sorry if I've re-hashed this...!

B
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:18 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drivers License - Question

In BC you need to take a theory test, then the class 5 road test. You can drive on your UK licence for the first 90 days. Most people find it really easy - I found the road test dead hard, but then I'm a hopeless driver.

There are actually several threads on this out there, somewhere.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
In BC you need to take a theory test, then the class 5 road test. You can drive on your UK licence for the first 90 days. Most people find it really easy - I found the road test dead hard, but then I'm a hopeless driver.

There are actually several threads on this out there, somewhere.
Bazz - thanks

I've seen posts on here, but i'm not all that techie to do the searching! That or just plain lazy!

I drive a 7.5 tonne truck here too, so does that go in my favour? I can do better parallel park in that - laden with 3 huge horses, on a hill, than most Surrey Housewives can do in their (never to off road) 4x4's on their Driveways!!!

B
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

In Alberta...

I handed in my UK one paid the fee (@$65) and they gave me an Alberta one, valid for the duration of my work permit. An Australian friend had to go through the whole test thing, even though he had completed police driver training in Perth.....

The insurance company I used here (TD) recognised the no claims certificate I brought from the UK (Direct Line) and gave me a discount.... Easy

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by bandit
Hi

Before you all shout at me - I did check Wiki, and couldn't find BC Driving License as a topic - hence the post.

It's a simple one....!

I hold a UK Drivers License and will want to change it when I finally get to Canada next year. Will I need to take a theory test or can I just swap it over? Likely provinces are either BC or Alberta. How long do I have to do it too?

Also - what do I need to ask for from my current insurance company - and will it be accepted by Canadian Insurers? I am currently insured with Tesco's and never have had a claim (apart from a windshield earlier this year coz of a small chip). I have read that some information given on the face of it looks the part, but it's not always worded how the Canadians want to see it! Will the letter be valid for a while as I probably won't buy a car straight away - just rent as and when I need to.

B
Get a letter from your insurance company NOT the broker which outlines the number of years insured and whether you have had any accidents.

Here is what the ICBC site states:

What to get before you come here

The amount you pay for your Autoplan insurance is directly related to your claim record. So before you move here, get an original letter (a fax or photocopy is not acceptable) from your auto insurance company (the company, not your local broker) on company letterhead that lists:

* The name of the registered owner and principal operator of the vehicle
* The policy number
* The period of time during which you had coverage and the dates of any at-fault claims

You can get credit for up to 8 years of claim-free driving, and each one increases your discount off the base rate for Autoplan coverage, so the letter can save you money. The maximum discount for newcomers to the province is 40%. If you were insured with more than one company in the past 8 years, get a letter from each company. Click here to find out more about ICBC's Claim-Rated Scale.

If you don't have the letter when you register and insure your vehicle in B.C., you can bring it in within 6 months of first registering. You will be eligible for any earned discount then, but there is a $20 processing fee. You will not be charged a fee if you have the letter when you first apply.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Get a letter from your insurance company NOT the broker which outlines the number of years insured and whether you have had any accidents.

Here is what the ICBC site states:

What to get before you come here

The amount you pay for your Autoplan insurance is directly related to your claim record. So before you move here, get an original letter (a fax or photocopy is not acceptable) from your auto insurance company (the company, not your local broker) on company letterhead that lists:

* The name of the registered owner and principal operator of the vehicle
* The policy number
* The period of time during which you had coverage and the dates of any at-fault claims

You can get credit for up to 8 years of claim-free driving, and each one increases your discount off the base rate for Autoplan coverage, so the letter can save you money. The maximum discount for newcomers to the province is 40%. If you were insured with more than one company in the past 8 years, get a letter from each company. Click here to find out more about ICBC's Claim-Rated Scale.

If you don't have the letter when you register and insure your vehicle in B.C., you can bring it in within 6 months of first registering. You will be eligible for any earned discount then, but there is a $20 processing fee. You will not be charged a fee if you have the letter when you first apply.
Make sure you have the letter with you (as it's harder to refuse in person), and make sure it states EXACTLY what ICBC want. They will give any excuse not to recognise your UK driving history.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:08 pm

I drive a 7.5 tonne truck here too, so does that go in my favour? I can do better parallel park in that - laden with 3 huge horses, on a hill, than most Surrey Housewives can do in their (never to off road) 4x4's on their Driveways!!!

B
I dunno, but you'll still have to pass your theory and road tests if you want to drive here. Unless you happen to have a Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean driver's licence?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:12 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

afaik if you coming from outside canada only the license for passenger cars (canadian category 5) will be swaped if swapping is applicable for your former country of residence - for every other license you need to take the test.

New B.C. residents

The process you will need to follow to apply for a BC’s driver licence, including the tests you will need to take, depends on the type of licence you have now:

[...]

Be sure you have the following documentation when visiting a driver licensing office to apply for a B.C. driver’s licence. Without proper proof of identity and driver licensing history (if applicable), your licence application will not be able to proceed.

* Primary and secondary identification
* any current licence you hold, and
* Proof of driving experience – (if your licence was issued less than 2 years ago)

Acceptable translations of these documents may be required.

Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean driver's licence?

British Columbia has driver licence exchange agreements with these jurisdictions. You may exchange your other licence for an equivalent class B.C. driver's licence (please note that this requires you to surrender your other licence upon application). In most cases, you will not need to take a road test if you hold:

* a Canadian or American passenger car or motorcycle operator's licence, or
* an Austrian, German or Swiss Category B or German Class 3 driver's licence for passenger cars, or
* a Japanese Ordinary driver's licence or a South Korean Class 2 Ordinary driver's licence for passenger cars, or
* a Canadian licence equivalent to a B.C. Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 (commercial) licence

and your licence is valid or expired less than 3 years ago.

Here's how to get your B.C. licence:

1. Take your licence and one piece of primary and one piece of secondary identification to any driver licensing office. You may also be required to provide a translation of your driver's licence and a driver's abstract.

2. Answer some traffic safety awareness questions (you may wish to review RoadSense for Drivers, available at an ICBC driver licensing office).
3. Undergo a vision screening and answer some questions about your medical and physical fitness. You may also be given a medical form to complete if you have a medical condition [click for definition] that might affect your ability to drive or if you're applying for a commercial licence.

4. Fill out and sign the application form and other documents.

5. Have your photo taken, and receive your new B.C. driver's licence. Fee: $31.

Your licence is valid for 2 years. Then it can be renewed for 5 years.

Any other type of driver's licence?

You will need to qualify for a B.C. licence if your driver's licence —

* is from a jurisdiction other than B.C. and does not meet the Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean licence criteria above,
or
* does meet the Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean licence criteria but you've had your full-privilege licence for less than 24 months (see note, above), or
* has expired more than 3 years ago, or
* has been cancelled or revoked.

To qualify for a B.C. licence, you will need to pass a road signs test, a knowledge test, a vision screening and a road test. You will also need to meet the medical and application requirements.
http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_renew_replace_new.asp
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:56 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Bazz - thanks

I've seen posts on here, but i'm not all that techie to do the searching! That or just plain lazy!

B
On a class 5 (car license) you can drive up to a 5 ton truck, however if it has air brakes, you also need an air brake endorsement. This entails going on a course and passing the test.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi

It's a simple one....!

B
Hi Bandit

In Alberta you just swop your license although it will only be for a class 5 (car)
Regarding insurance they would prefer you not made a claim in the last 6 years - this gives you the most discount. All we did was bring proof from our Uk insurance company.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions
Take care
Julie
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
On a class 5 (car license) you can drive up to a 5 ton truck, however if it has air brakes, you also need an air brake endorsement. This entails going on a course and passing the test.
Does the air brake test ensure you know how to release the air just as someone walks passed the truck so you can frighten the life out of them!!!???

I am slightly agast / flabergasted / confused about why some licences are OK and some aren't - especially a road sign knowledge test..? Odd how you don't have to do one from a country with a very different language but one with a similar language obviously don't understand 'STOP' in English and Canadian!!!

Hey Ho - I'll embrace these odd things as 'normal'....
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:20 pm

[QUOTE=bandit;5635283]
I am slightly agast / flabergasted / confused about why some licences are OK and some aren't - especially a road sign knowledge test..? Odd how you don't have to do one from a country with a very different language but one with a similar language obviously don't understand 'STOP' in English and Canadian!!!
[QUOTE]

It's more to do with which countries have entered into some sort of political agreement with BC.

No-one pays any attention to STOP signs anyway.

Personally I think everyone should have to re-take their test here, with the possible exception of Americans.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's more to do with which countries have entered into some sort of political agreement with BC.

No-one pays any attention to STOP signs anyway.

Personally I think everyone should have to re-take their test here, with the possible exception of Americans.[/QUOTE]

No one would consider Britain to be anything to do with Canada then? Queen / Commonwealth and also being called British Columbia?

Who can figure that!!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:36 pm

No one would consider Britain to be anything to do with Canada then? Queen / Commonwealth and also being called British Columbia?

Who can figure that!!!!!
I think the agreements are specific to the exchange of driving licences between jurisdiction. The UK isn't part of this.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:48 pm
kws
Just Joined

kws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura about

Bandit,

things don't make much sense but don't try and figure it out either, just go with it. I moved to BC 2 years ago and went through the whole ordeal. The one thing you will have to get for ICBC to recognise your no claims bonus from the Uk is a letter stating the period of insurance, to the day. Make sure it states day, month, year to and from. I got stuck with that one as i only had a month and year date. ICBC are not the most helpful bunch around but they are a monopoly and can afford to be picky.

You can probably get the details off their website. As for driving, if you think home counties housewives can't drive just wait to see them here................