Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drivers License Again - Good News

Wikiposts

Drivers License Again - Good News

Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License Again - Good News

Originally Posted by photoads
The insurance broker said I only got 1 star, with driver ed they would give me 3! And the quote then came down to $3500. I settled for this as Allstate had misquoted me, I guess for a harrier jump jet @ $12000. Just gotta give up some weekend time to get educated, I wish they would educate some of those using the 401.

Iain

Hey Iain how are you - how are things in Ontario?
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
That is so......funny....I thought that was a Canadian expression....let sleeping dogs lay...meaning the same as yours.....wonder where is actually originated from???
Originally Posted by Toontje
In Holland we have a saying that translates as: don't wake up sleeping dogs. It means that you shouldn't draw attention to somebody else's mistakes. IF you do, the profit won't be yours.
Perhaps brought to Canada by one of first Dutch immigrants???
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Not to beat a subject to death or anything......you could very well be correct - but you mention in your message that it's a "very old" dutch quote - can you tell me how old.......and if perhaps it came to holland from someone immigrating to your country? I find this kind of stuff really fascinating..........

Perhaps brought to Canada by one of first Dutch immigrants???
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

First I would like to apologise that this post will be completely off-topic, but I was aked, eh?
Not to beat a subject to death or anything......you could very well be correct - but you mention in your message that it's a "very old" dutch quote - can you tell me how old.......and if perhaps it came to holland from someone immigrating to your country? I find this kind of stuff really fascinating..........
A 1 hour search on the internet gave me the following: I couldn't find a website that gave me the origin of this proverb, neither in dutch, in english or in german. The proverb is known to exist in english, dutch, german, french, spanish and italian, and maybe even more languages.
A belgian website on latin translations gave the following result (and I translate to english):

QUIETA NON MOVERE
Sallustius; De Coniuratione Catalinae 21;1
What rests, do not touch (let sleeping dogs lie)

Sallustius was a writer who died in 34 or 35 BC ("Before Christ", he didn't die in British Columbia )

So I think it's definitely NOT of canadian origin. And who brought it to Canada? We will never know, but it must have been someone from Europe.

I hope this answer satisfies your question.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Toontje - I am truly astonished that you would go to so much trouble for a stranger.....thank you so much (I know mine is a strange and wonderful fascination - remember the expression - small things amuse small minds - well that's me!!!!)

It obviously can't be Canadian if it goes back to 34BC - since Canada's only 137 years old - I spent most of my growing up years in a place called Kitchener/Waterloo in Ontario - very very German (was called Berlin before the name change) - so I guess that's where I picked it up....since I have none of the nationalities mentioned - I'm Irish/Polish).

Thanks again for being so kind.......I owe you a big one!!!!

First I would like to apologise that this post will be completely off-topic, but I was aked, eh?

A 1 hour search on the internet gave me the following: I couldn't find a website that gave me the origin of this proverb, neither in dutch, in english or in german. The proverb is known to exist in english, dutch, german, french, spanish and italian, and maybe even more languages.
A belgian website on latin translations gave the following result (and I translate to english):

QUIETA NON MOVERE
Sallustius; De Coniuratione Catalinae 21;1
What rests, do not touch (let sleeping dogs lie)

Sallustius was a writer who died in 34 or 35 BC ("Before Christ", he didn't die in British Columbia )

So I think it's definitely NOT of canadian origin. And who brought it to Canada? We will never know, but it must have been someone from Europe.

I hope this answer satisfies your question.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:02 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ray1968
Hey Iain how are you - how are things in Ontario?
Hey Ray, my fellow Leicester person, how ya doing?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:09 am
Glaswegian

Aye up me duck - is this a forum for ex-Leicester inhabitants??

Old Aug 15th 2004, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Glaswegian - don't tell me you are ex Leicester

I am alright Indybrit - looking forward to the new footy season see if the Foxes can do owt this season...just got a few packs of walkers crisps from a store up the road...hows you?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:05 pm
Glaswegian

15 years in Leicester - left with a love of Gujerati home cooking and Everards Old Original ....

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

welcome to the ex leicester pats club then matey!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:22 pm
Glaswegian

Ever seen Everards in Ontario?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Ever seen Everards in Ontario?
Nope -never , too small a brand I think for exporting
Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:27 pm
Glaswegian

Ah well - know a good pakora or pork pie recipe then?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:26 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ray1968
Glaswegian - don't tell me you are ex Leicester

I am alright Indybrit - looking forward to the new footy season see if the Foxes can do owt this season...just got a few packs of walkers crisps from a store up the road...hows you?
Doing pretty good myself thanks.

I'll be getting the run down on how the foxes are doing from my Mum and Dad, especially when they win....
Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje - I am truly astonished that you would go to so much trouble for a stranger.....thank you so much.....
What's a "stranger", eh? Someone you've never met? Someone you've never seen? Most people that post on a regular basis on this forum are not considered to be strangers by me. I'm getting quite a picture of them, although I do realise that it may be completely wrong. But in my imagination the looks and the lives of the people on this forum here are becoming less and less vague and shady.
Naah, you're no longer strangers to me.

Thanks again for being so kind.......I owe you a big one!!!!
One day, perhaps even in 2034, we'll meet and I remind you