Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drivers License Again - Good News

Wikiposts

Drivers License Again - Good News

Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:20 am
squarepants

Default Re: Drivers License Again - Good News

Hmmmm.....$886 for a 2005 chevy cav? You better not be pulling out legs, like they said, they are going to want to see that letter, and trust me, they are going to verify it as well.

You said you are retired? You will have to prove that too, if you are not, then it will be time wasting. I piggy back ride of my wife's insurance, which is just $1000.

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
For car insurance I just got a great deal at $886 for the year for a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier with a 6 star rating. The insurer said provided you can get a letter of experience and have a proven driving record? she'd be happy to try and get anybody insurance. Let me know if you want any further details.

I'll just add that I told them I'm retired which seemed to make a big difference.

Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
Hmmmm.....$886 for a 2005 chevy cav? You better not be pulling out legs, like they said, they are going to want to see that letter, and trust me, they are going to verify it as well.

You said you are retired? You will have to prove that too, if you are not, then it will be time wasting. I piggy back ride of my wife's insurance, which is just $1000.
Well, as I havent' had a proper job in 2 years....just the occassional casual labour sort of thing and I've never claimed unemployment....and I live off of my savings.....I guess I'm retired.....so they tell me. Believe me....I've had to double check and triple check because I thought they were pulling my leg too. My sister is actually quite upset as she pays the same price, 3rd party only for a 1995 Neon. This was organized through my Dad's insurance broker so I've told her to speak to them pronto.

All proof was provided to the broker yesterday. To be honest the broker did build a case around the fact that my Dad is a retired Inland Revenue auditor with a good track record.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

WizDruid is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Drivers License Again - Good News

Congratulations.... on your licence being dated since issue of your UK one (1981).

Sadly, I beleive you are one of the very very rare lucky ones.

I exchanged mine recently in Peterborough Ontario, and the fact that I held my licence since 1979, my issue date was the date I exchanged !!

Your case is an extraordinary one... but if others are the same, then maybe I should move out of this city LOL !!!

Wiz
Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WizDruid
Congratulations.... on your licence being dated since issue of your UK one (1981).

Sadly, I beleive you are one of the very very rare lucky ones.

I exchanged mine recently in Peterborough Ontario, and the fact that I held my licence since 1979, my issue date was the date I exchanged !!

Your case is an extraordinary one... but if others are the same, then maybe I should move out of this city LOL !!!

Wiz
I do apologize....the issue date is the date of exchange, the date that goes on the MOT computer for historical purposes is 1981. Actually, my Dad is now upset with me too, as his insurance is $1500 even though I went through his broker. I'm confused too.......but not complaining!!!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:48 am
squarepants

Something doesn't seem right here, someone is pulling someone's leg !

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
I do apologize....the issue date is the date of exchange, the date that goes on the MOT computer for historical purposes is 1981. Actually, my Dad is now upset with me too, as his insurance is $1500 even though I went through his broker. I'm confused too.......but not complaining!!!

Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squarepants
Something doesn't seem right here, someone is pulling someone's leg !
I'm honestly not lying. I'm off to Toronto now to stay with my Dad overnight and pick up the car in the morning.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so someone must have made a mistake, be it your broker or the insurance company. But who are you to complain? If you have a good offer, take advantage of it.
In Holland we have a saying that translates as: don't wake up sleeping dogs. It means that you shouldn't draw attention to somebody else's mistakes. IF you do, the profit won't be yours.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

Only problem I guess is that if they have made a mistake, it may not come to light until you try to make a claim.

In the UK, the insurance industry worked on a principle of disclosure of material facts. If you've not told them something they consider important - they may not pay up when you need them too. Personally, I'd rather make sure they haven't made a mistake than find out when it's too late.

I wonder how many home owners didn't know their insurance policy didn't cover flooding unless it was caused by drainage backup - until after the recent floods...
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:40 am
squarepants

That probably originated from inside the cafes in Amsterdam, you know the ones

Originally Posted by Toontje
Ok, so someone must have made a mistake, be it your broker or the insurance company. But who are you to complain? If you have a good offer, take advantage of it.
In Holland we have a saying that translates as: don't wake up sleeping dogs. It means that you shouldn't draw attention to somebody else's mistakes. IF you do, the profit won't be yours.

Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know what you mean, but this saying is much older than the activities you had in mind.

What I actually meant is that if the insurance company made a miscalculation regarding the monthly contribution, let it rest. Just pay what you're supposed to pay and don't mention the fact that you presume there's something wrong.
But DO check your insurance policy and make sure that everything is covered what you want to be covered.
An insurance is a mutual aggreement. When (if) you make a proper claim they have to pay. They cannot back out without acceptance of your claim.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point

CDNReturner

Good luck with the car! I pick mine up on monday, I wish my insurance had been a but closer to that price. $4980 for a year, will go down by $1400 when I get my drivers education.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:33 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by photoads
CDNReturner

Good luck with the car! I pick mine up on monday, I wish my insurance had been a but closer to that price. $4980 for a year, will go down by $1400 when I get my drivers education.
Are you sure it will go down! The AMA man told us that there was no point to drivers ed for us (too old presumably!) as it would make no difference to the premium!

Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toontje
I wasn't complaining. I did verify it....I'm retired and I'm not in Toronto was the answer.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

That is so......funny....I thought that was a Canadian expression....let sleeping dogs lay...meaning the same as yours.....wonder where is actually originated from???
In Holland we have a saying that translates as: don't wake up sleeping dogs. It means that you shouldn't draw attention to somebody else's mistakes. IF you do, the profit won't be yours. [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Are you sure it will go down! The AMA man told us that there was no point to drivers ed for us (too old presumably!) as it would make no difference to the premium!
The insurance broker said I only got 1 star, with driver ed they would give me 3! And the quote then came down to $3500. I settled for this as Allstate had misquoted me, I guess for a harrier jump jet @ $12000. Just gotta give up some weekend time to get educated, I wish they would educate some of those using the 401.

Iain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.