Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

drivers doing stupid things!!

Wikiposts

drivers doing stupid things!!

Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice
Default drivers doing stupid things!!

has anyone observed other drivers doing weird things while at the wheel outside of on their telephone or eating something?
I had a lady undertake me on the inside lane on HWY 1 going towards Vancouver. She was leant across the passenger side, had the sun visor down....and had a pair of scissors up her nostril presumably trimming nasal hair. Can you imagine if she braked she would kill herself!!!!!!!!

Pulled up behind an SUV at some lights. The occupants and driver were busy watching Star Wars on large pull down screen that covered half of the windscreen

Any other experiences?
and why do Chines drivers carry a box of tissues in the rear window of their car......Whats that all about??
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers doing stupid things!!

How long have you been here? This has not been uncommon.

I was in a parking lot and an oriental lady wanted to park between two vehicles. The gap was narrower than her car. This was not going to deter her. First try, she got about half way in and reshaped the panels on 3 vehicles. Second go she got a bit further, but I guess figured she'd not get in would try somewhere else. She spoke little English and could not understand why she could not 'leave the scene' She honeslty thought she had done nothing wrong. How the hell she thought she would get out I'll never know.

Every time I drive there is often more than one incident with some idiot who cannot drive, or pedestrians who walk out 'claiming right of way' regardless of whats coming.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scliffe
has anyone observed other drivers doing weird things while at the wheel outside of on their telephone or eating something?
I had a lady undertake me on the inside lane on HWY 1 going towards Vancouver. She was leant across the passenger side, had the sun visor down....and had a pair of scissors up her nostril presumably trimming nasal hair. Can you imagine if she braked she would kill herself!!!!!!!!

Pulled up behind an SUV at some lights. The occupants and driver were busy watching Star Wars on large pull down screen that covered half of the windscreen

Any other experiences?
and why do Chines drivers carry a box of tissues in the rear window of their car......Whats that all about??
We were on the same road about 4 weeks a go and the guy in front of us was driving along in his truck conducting music with a stick !!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How long have you been here? This has not been uncommon.

I was in a parking lot and an oriental lady wanted to park between two vehicles. The gap was narrower than her car. This was not going to deter her. First try, she got about half way in and reshaped the panels on 3 vehicles. Second go she got a bit further, but I guess figured she'd not get in would try somewhere else. She spoke little English and could not understand why she could not 'leave the scene' She honeslty thought she had done nothing wrong. How the hell she thought she would get out I'll never know.

Every time I drive there is often more than one incident with some idiot who cannot drive, or pedestrians who walk out 'claiming right of way' regardless of whats coming.
I have been here 18 months and still find it incredably bizarre.
Like if people wandered over the road like that in Nottingham it would be carnage.
I had a rental car here in BC and parked that. When I came back the passenger door crushed in. I wonder if it is the same idiot you saw????
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

idiots are every where, nearly every time I get on the roundabout someone cuts me off!! they are in the wrong lane, I used to think maybe cos I was not used to the rdbts I was wrong, but been re-assured I am in right lane.

People on mobiles are my biggest pet peeve in both countries, but here in UK it's a big fat no-no.

We were in Athens a month ago, motorcyclist..no helmet, smoking a cigarette, talking on mobile AND driving on side walk as he couldn't be bothered to wait in traffic!! Glad I was on BIG city bus there
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
pedestrians who walk out 'claiming right of way' regardless of whats coming.
Beware ~ As a driving instructor in the UK we teach (believe it or not) "Pedestrians have right of way in EVERY situation" The same law applies in Canada...... If you hit a pedestrian YOU will be under investigation
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:26 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

i love the way people become invisible in their cars at traffic lights... no, i cant see you picking your nose rooting round in there like a truffle hunting pig.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
"Pedestrians have right of way in EVERY situation" The same law applies in Canada
Except that this is not the law in either country
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO Canadians (or at least Maritimers) are some of the worse drivers I have ever encountered. Dont let it wind you up, just go with it as it never gets easier to deal with!

Originally Posted by scliffe

Any other experiences?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My pet peeve is people driving with their dogs on their laps (driver's)

The biggest dog I have seen in said position is a fully grown Lab
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:36 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say that I also see loads of drivers with dogs on their laps One driver has his dog leaning out the window - the dog wears sunglasses

Back in Aberdeen, Scotland I used to see drivers shaving or applying make-up during the morning rush hour. Well, it did take about 15 minutes queuing to get through the roundabout

Of course drinking and driving with a Timmies in your hand also seems compulsary, but most people do drive automatics so what else are you going to do with your right hand
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Except that this is not the law in either country
Oooooooooo oh yes it is! There are several examples of You "must" give way to the pedestrian in the UK highway code

The one that comes straight to mind (cos I refered to it all the time) is rule 170 .........

But in any case ~ Law or not, pedestrians have right of way..... You are simply not allowed to plough them down because they "appeared" not to look correctly.

But give a thought for us immigrants that just move into a foreign country swap our foreign license for a local one and really should know the rules but don't ~ They then talk on phones (cos it's ok where they come from), drive with dogs on their laps (what's the issue?) and never see stop signs (cos they don't have them "back home") ~ Oh yeah ....... anyone driven down the wrong side of the road for a mile or two?

Fun isn't it??
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Oooooooooo oh yes it is! There are several examples of You "must" give way to the pedestrian in the UK highway code
Which is very different to what you said in your original post where the word "Every" was used.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I drove 20 yrs in Ont, moved to UK and still drive on left for the first 2 days of being home. Is ok if I am at farm no other traffic, but when I hit Belleville they frown on me being on their side. So now I try not to drive until jet lag ceases a bit.
BUT as soon as I return to UK I do same thing, after 9 yrs I still walk to the left hand side of car to drive, and get in on right hand side of my husbands car til he reminds me "I'm driving" old habits die hard.

Reading books, applying make up, texting, talking on mobile, have seen it all. I want to say to these people YOU MORON YOUR ARE DRIVING NOT AT HOME, GROW UP. The person they hit could be someone I love or ME!
So if anyone here is guilty of these driving errors/crimes STOP IT.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

It's been a bad weekend for cyclists in Ottawa at the hand of stupid drivers

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Dr...152/story.html

I was told by a paramedic that it had happened at about 0830 on Sunday as they were carrying a buddy out of the woods with a tree branch still in his leg....

Guys i was riding with drove past the 5 rodies on the way to the woods, and this all happened on roads we commute on outside our work....

Since then have encountered 2 other staggering displays of stupid driving, almost got T Boned at a junction as a car crashed a red! and more stupidity on the highway with a driver that did not understand the concept of a lane closing, (due to another Fatality! - http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ea...164/story.html )

So all in all , pretty Shit driving round here, don't know if i am safer biking in or in the truck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.