Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A Drive over the Rockies? Help please!!

A Drive over the Rockies? Help please!!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Drive over the Rockies? Help please!!

Hi
We are going on a reccie trip to Calgary in a couple of weeks and need some info about a drive over the Rockies to visit some friends who live in Abbotsford BC.
We know it is some distance and may take a couple of days there and back, so can anybody tell us whether the roads are good, how long it will take and if there are any good B & B's on the route, Anyone driven it all in one go ????(that of course being my husbands preferred method of travelling).

Any info would be great
Cheers
Stef

Application and AOR Jan 06.....stuck in a long queue........waiting.....still we wait..........!!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Drive over the Rockies? Help please!!

Hi there, we did the drive from Calgary to Vancouver in sept last year and it was great, we didnt go on the main haighway we went on the old one cant remember what it was called i'm sure someone could tell you, we stopped off in a few places and done it over 3 weeks. I would reccomend a stop off in Banff.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carrieann
Hi there, we did the drive from Calgary to Vancouver in sept last year and it was great, we didnt go on the main haighway we went on the old one cant remember what it was called i'm sure someone could tell you, we stopped off in a few places and done it over 3 weeks. I would reccomend a stop off in Banff.
Banff is a really good place to visit but at the mo the High Street is undergoing major renovations so it is a bit of a mess
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carrieann
Hi Carrieanne
Thanks for that. It did kind of read that it had taken you 3 weeks to get to Vancouver.....i had such a chuckle!. Banff is on the 'To do list' but not part of that particular trip.
Cheers
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You CAN do it in one day in each direction. I have done just that on several occasions. However, I absolutely do not recommend it for a first time visitor. There is so much beautiful scenery to soak up on the way. Some of the very best bits, like Moraine Lake in Banff National Park, are off the main road and require a short detour.

I recommend you go to the Wiki section of the TripAdvisor forum, which they call "Inside Pages," and read this page on Sample Itineraries, which was written by yours truly.

Oh, what the heck, forget about the itineraries at TA. Here's one that I would recommend for you:

On the way there:

Day 1: Drive from Calgary to the Banff / Lake Louise area and overnight there. There is heaps of fantastic scenery to see, and I mean heaps (literally and figuratively). You ought to try and fit in Johnston Canyon, Moraine Lake and Lake Louise.

Day 2 : Drive Banff / Lake Louise - Golden - Revelstoke - Sicamous - then veer south towards the Okanagan Valley and go to Vernon - Kelowna - Penticton. On the stretch from Lake Louise to Golden, take the detours to see Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake.

Day 3 : Drive to Abbotsford.

Note: The first half of this route takes you on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1). But then you veer off it to detour into the Okanagan Valley.

On the way back:

Day 1 - Drive Abbotsford - Hope - Manning Provincial Park - Princeton - Osoyoos. From Hope onwards you're driving the Crowsnest Highway (Hwy #3). I think that's what carrieann probably meant by the old highway.

Day 2 - Drive from Osoyoos to Nelson, still on Hwy #3. Nelson would make a pleasant overnight stop, but you could press on until the Kimberley / Cranbrook area if you felt like it.

Day 3 - Drive to Cranbrook - Fernie - over the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta on Hwy #3. Before you reach the town of Pincher Creek, turn north onto a secondary (but still well surfaced) road called Hwy #22 (also known as the Cowboy Trail). It takes you through the rolling foothills on the east side of the Rockies. Drive up through the small towns of Longview, Black Diamond, Turner Vallley, and Bragg Creek before returning to Calgary.

Read the TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Banff National Park : Planning a Summer Trip (also written by yours truly). It's a kind of checklist that will help you to ensure that you have all the important points covered off and have not let anything essential slip through the cracks.

I especially draw your attention to the Clothing page. You need to be prepared with LAYERS. The Okanagan Valley can get hot on a summer's day. 30 deg C is not unusual, and on occasion it can approach 40 deg C (albeit it is a dry heat). In Calgary and the Rockies, average day time temperatures are around 20 deg C, but they sometimes can get up around 30 deg C. The average night time temperature in Calgary is around 10 deg C, and in the mountains it's around 7 deg C. But in the mountains (and occasionally even in Calgary) you can get down around the freezing mark even in summer. So, needless to say, you need to pack LAYERS. There is an excellent packing list on the page to which I provided a link.

Use Map Quest to find out distances and estimated driving times.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Banff is a really good place to visit but at the mo the High Street is undergoing major renovations so it is a bit of a mess
Hi Burton Bunch.
Yes Banff is on the list, thanks for the info on 'Men at Work' in the High Street.
cheers
Stef
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You CAN do it in one day in each direction. I have done just that on several occasions. However, I absolutely do not recommend it for a first time visitor. There is so much beautiful scenery to soak up on the way. Some of the very best bits, like Moraine Lake in Banff National Park, are off the main road and require a short detour.

I recommend you go to the Wiki section of the TripAdvisor forum, which they call "Inside Pages," and read this page on Sample Itineraries, which was written by yours truly.

Oh, what the heck, forget about the itineraries at TA. Here's one that I would recommend for you:

On the way there:

Day 1: Drive from Calgary to the Banff / Lake Louise area and overnight there. There is heaps of fantastic scenery to see, and I mean heaps (literally and figuratively). You ought to try and fit in Johnston Canyon, Moraine Lake and Lake Louise.

Day 2 : Drive Banff / Lake Louise - Golden - Revelstoke - Sicamous - then veer south towards the Okanagan Valley and go to Vernon - Kelowna - Penticton. On the stretch from Lake Louise to Golden, take the detours to see Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake.

Day 3 : Drive to Abbotsford.

Note: The first half of this route takes you on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1). But then you veer off it to detour into the Okanagan Valley.

On the way back:

Day 1 - Drive Abbotsford - Hope - Manning Provincial Park - Princeton - Osoyoos. From Hope onwards you're driving the Crowsnest Highway (Hwy #3). I think that's what carrieann probably meant by the old highway.

Day 2 - Drive from Osoyoos to Nelson, still on Hwy #3. Nelson would make a pleasant overnight stop, but you could press on until the Kimberley / Cranbrook area if you felt like it.

Day 3 - Drive to Cranbrook - Fernie - over the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta on Hwy #3. Before you reach the town of Pincher Creek, turn north onto a secondary (but still well surfaced) road called Hwy #22 (also known as the Cowboy Trail). It takes you through the rolling foothills on the east side of the Rockies. Drive up through the small towns of Longview, Black Diamond, Turner Vallley, and Bragg Creek before returning to Calgary.

Read the TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Banff National Park : Planning a Summer Trip (also written by yours truly). It's a kind of checklist that will help you to ensure that you have all the important points covered off and have not let anything essential slip through the cracks.

I especially draw your attention to the Clothing page. You need to be prepared with LAYERS. The Okanagan Valley can get hot on a summer's day. 30 deg C is not unusual, and on occasion it can approach 40 deg C (albeit it is a dry heat). In Calgary and the Rockies, average day time temperatures are around 20 deg C, but they sometimes can get up around 30 deg C. The average night time temperature in Calgary is around 10 deg C, and in the mountains it's around 7 deg C. But in the mountains (and occasionally even in Calgary) you can get down around the freezing mark even in summer. So, needless to say, you need to pack LAYERS. There is an excellent packing list on the page to which I provided a link.

Use Map Quest to find out distances and estimated driving times.

Hope that helps.
Hi Judy
Thanks for this super Itinerary. We plan to do Banff and Lake Louise on separate trips. We are in Calgary for 3 weeks, but have to fit in with our friends, and probably wont want to do 3 days each way coz of the time factor. We have paid for our 3 weeks of accommodation in Calgary so any extra nights have to be budgeted, and once we get to Abbotsford will probably stay one or two nights at friends, so I'm kinda thinking one overnight each way would probably be ok. My hubby likes to get to his destination in the least amount of time, so i will be pushing my luck asking for more overnights.
Cheers
stef
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:51 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
so I'm kinda thinking one overnight each way would probably be ok.
In that case, follow the same routes, but do one overnight stop in Penticton on the way out and one overnight stop in Nelson on the way back.

Edited to add that I didn't intend to sound as if I was giving you an order. It was meant to be a suggestion. I was just in a hurry at the time.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jun 13th 2007 at 9:28 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
In that case, follow the same routes, but do one overnight stop in Penticton on the way out and one overnight stop in Nelson on the way back.

Edited to add that I didn't intend to sound as if I was giving you an order. It was meant to be a suggestion. I was just in a hurry at the time.
Hi Judy
No worries...great advice, we will look into some accommodation, any recommendations with pool for kids?......and no it didn't sound as if it was an order, just a lovely trip....if only we had that much time.......
cheers
Stef
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

We've done this one a few times, if it's your first trip across I'd recommend...

1. Calgary -> Lake Louise or Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise, but quieter and prettier, wonderful place to stay if you want a nice log cabin and a free canoe). This isn't too much of a drive and a short hop for the first day.

We'd stay for a couple of days, but then it's just about our favourite spot

2. Lake Louise -> Jasper up the Icefields Parkway, which is an absolutely stunning drive (don't forget to buy a Parkway pass from the kiosk in Lake Louise so you can stop and ogle the scenery).

3. Jasper -> Lake Louise. You can't cut easily inland from Jasper and have to come back the way you came to Lake Louise before continuing across to Vancouver. However, it's a nice place to stop for a night and more than worth it as there are plenty of different stopping opportunities on the way back. Peyto lake is particularly beautiful if the sun is out, and the glacier is quite fun too.

4. Lake Louise -> Kelowna. This is a half-way point, pretty much, and is a great place to stop (we can recommend a great B&B with friendly hosts, Sheila is a Brit expat). Ask for the garden room if you want to stay there!

5. Kelowna -> Vancouver/Abbotsford. This isn't too much of a hike, if you're not stopping it's about four hours to Vancouver, less to Abbotsford, but there is plenty to see if you want to take your time.

All the major car hire places will let you collect in Calgary and drop off in Vancouver (or Abbotsford).
Hope the sun shines for you

Cheers, Iain

Last edited by Iain Mc; Jun 14th 2007 at 7:01 am.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
We've done this one a few times, if it's your first trip across I'd recommend...

1. Calgary -> Lake Louise or Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise, but quieter and prettier, wonderful place to stay if you want a nice log cabin and a free canoe). This isn't too much of a drive and a short hop for the first day.

We'd stay for a couple of days, but then it's just about our favourite spot

2. Lake Louise -> Jasper up the Icefields Parkway, which is an absolutely stunning drive (don't forget to buy a Parkway pass from the kiosk in Lake Louise so you can stop and ogle the scenery).

3. Jasper -> Lake Louise. You can't cut easily inland from Jasper and have to come back the way you came to Lake Louise before continuing across to Vancouver. However, it's a nice place to stop for a night and more than worth it as there are plenty of different stopping opportunities on the way back. Peyto lake is particularly beautiful if the sun is out, and the glacier is quite fun too.

4. Lake Louise -> Kelowna. This is a half-way point, pretty much, and is a great place to stop (we can recommend a great B&B with friendly hosts, Sheila is a Brit expat). Ask for the garden room if you want to stay there!

5. Kelowna -> Vancouver/Abbotsford. This isn't too much of a hike, if you're not stopping it's about four hours to Vancouver, less to Abbotsford, but there is plenty to see if you want to take your time.

All the major car hire places will let you collect in Calgary and drop off in Vancouver (or Abbotsford).
Hope the sun shines for you

Cheers, Iain
Hi Iain
Thanks for the tips, seems we have a lot to see. Car hire is not a problem as we are in Calgary for 3 weeks and just popping over to Abbotsford for a couple of days. My husband is from Scotland so used to mountains, but we live in East Anglia on the fens and it don't come flatter than that....so it will be great to be in the mountains. What are the roads like? ie are they good?
Cheers
stef
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:55 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We are going on a reccie trip to Calgary in a couple of weeks and need some info about a drive over the Rockies to visit some friends who live in Abbotsford BC.
We know it is some distance and may take a couple of days there and back, so can anybody tell us whether the roads are good, how long it will take and if there are any good B & B's on the route, Anyone driven it all in one go ????(that of course being my husbands preferred method of travelling).

Any info would be great
Cheers
Stef

Application and AOR Jan 06.....stuck in a long queue........waiting.....still we wait..........!!

Definitely visit Penticton in south Okanagan. Nothing like a little wine tour above the town and then an afternoon cooking in the high 30˚c's beside the crystal waters and golden beach of Lake Skaha.

The roads are perfect.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iain
What are the roads like? ie are they good?
Cheers
stef
The roads are good. Sort of. It is 2 lanes a lot of the way with passing lanes on the hills. Its 4 lanes diveded to Lake Louise and the same as you get close to Abbotsford.

There is a lot of road construction between Lake Louise and Golden. The highway is pretty beat up in places with all the heavy equipment driving on it and you could expect some delays through the construction zones.

The section between Golden and Revelstoke (Rogers Pass) seems to be falling appart too. Its all paved but could desparately use a re-paving at this point. There are places where you can't see the lines on the road any more.

There are a number of tunnels (snowsheds actually). Some have lights in them. Others don't.

After Revelstoke I can't think of any issues.

If you want to get there the quickest way, you would want to stay on the transCanada until Kamloops and then take #5 from there. It is a toll highway ($10 last time I drove it) but will cut a number of hours off your trip.

When we go, we do it all in one day. We go all the way to Vancouver and it takes 10 to 12 hours depending on how long we stop for lunch and dinner (and bathroom breaks). If you are going to Abbotsford it would probably be 45 minutes quicker.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of tunnels (snowsheds actually)
And when you see the signs saying "remove sunglasses", do so! I forgot once and it's not something I want to do again (prescription sunnies so couldn't just whip 'em off).
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:03 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
And when you see the signs saying "remove sunglasses", do so! I forgot once and it's not something I want to do again (prescription sunnies so couldn't just whip 'em off).
You can always just slide them down your nose a touch and look over the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.