Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dreaming of Trucks

Dreaming of Trucks

Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: Dreaming of Trucks

Originally Posted by bsb
same olde same.

get more bang for buck by getting an import.

I would not agree with that, I am on to my fourth truck, having had a Dodge, Ford at work, Toyota and finally GMC
The GMC is probably better equiped for the money, I actually prefer the drive of the GMC to the imports I've tried , although their engines can be a bit course.
Also better deals to be had at GMC, Toyota and to some degree Nissan are very inflexible with credit.
The handling with the mid range units is generally poor and lollopy. Unless you are doing extreme hauling you are wasting gas with the bigger ones.
GMC/ Chevy trucks have had bad press recently but the pedigree is good. I've seen more vintage GMC's on the road still working than the other makes.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:24 am
bsb
Forum Regular

bsb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a lot more bucks though to get the import unless you buy base level, in which case its very much "No frills" motoring.

I'm coming round to the idea now that given the improvement in domestic vehicle quality/reliability, there is a strong argument in favour of buying domestic (not at list price of course), and a lot of resistance from expats is unfamiliarity with the brands and a certain European snobbery.
We were out last weekend looking for a truck.

Toyota, Dakota, Colorado, Ridgeline.

Both imports have composite beds (no bed liner needed)
Both domestic need bed liners (extra cash required)
Ridgeline already has towing package in even the BASE model
Both domestics require extra bits (extra money)
Prices for all the vehicles are within a couple of K !

Ridgeline already has cd player,air etc etc etc, on BASE model
Others require extra cash (AGAIN)
warranty with the ridgeline is better than domestics.

By the time I get a domestic up to par with a base ridgeline i will prob be paying more for the domestic.

I have more work to do checking out the Toyota but so far the Honda wins hands down. and I get a slightly bigger truck for the price of a mid size.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:30 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsb

I have more work to do checking out the Toyota but so far the Honda wins hands down. and I get a slightly bigger truck for the price of a mid size.
Yeah BUT the Ridgeline (like the Chevy Avalance Truck) is merely a Bastardized SUV.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:32 am
bsb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hudman
I would not agree with that, I am on to my fourth truck, having had a Dodge, Ford at work, Toyota and finally GMC
The GMC is probably better equiped for the money, I actually prefer the drive of the GMC to the imports I've tried , although their engines can be a bit course.
Also better deals to be had at GMC, Toyota and to some degree Nissan are very inflexible with credit.
The handling with the mid range units is generally poor and lollopy. Unless you are doing extreme hauling you are wasting gas with the bigger ones.
GMC/ Chevy trucks have had bad press recently but the pedigree is good. I've seen more vintage GMC's on the road still working than the other makes.
I get to drive quite a few trucks working for contractors and would agree that the GMC is better than other domestics. I usually work @ CAMI automotive or toyota so tend to see a lot of cars are built. the quality procedures @ toyota are WAY BETTER than Cami, as is the overall build.

AECON uses both FORD and GMC and most users prefer the GMC.

Ford was never even on my list.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsb
We were out last weekend looking for a truck.

Toyota, Dakota, Colorado, Ridgeline.

Both imports have composite beds (no bed liner needed)
Both domestic need bed liners (extra cash required)
Ridgeline already has towing package in even the BASE model
Both domestics require extra bits (extra money)
Prices for all the vehicles are within a couple of K !

Ridgeline already has cd player,air etc etc etc, on BASE model
Others require extra cash (AGAIN)
warranty with the ridgeline is better than domestics.

By the time I get a domestic up to par with a base ridgeline i will prob be paying more for the domestic.

Real men dont worry about scratching the bed of their truck , they are working vehicles, and the bed rusting out is not a major concern, its just cosmetic.

Are you comparing MSRPs, or the actual price you can negotiate down to? There a big difference in the desperation level of a GM dealer over a Honda one!

How does the Hondas towing capacity compare out of curiosity, and does saving few hundred on the tow package compensate for the odd shape of the bed that makes getting a cap or tonneau a more expensive or perhaps impossible option.

The extra warranty is a good thing as Honda parts will be far more expensive than a comparable domestic vehicle.

How do insurance costs compare?

Last edited by iaink; Aug 9th 2006 at 8:41 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:41 am
bsb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yeah BUT the Ridgeline (like the Chevy Avalance Truck) is merely a Bastardized SUV.
It has the bed space I want (dont want a full size) was looking at mid size but the prices (and more important the configuration) is right for the honda even though it sits between a full and mid size.

Wanted crew cab, 4x4, smaller block,
The minute you move up to even that basic spec the others want to put a massive block in it. Domestics dont offer what I want as a spec. Honda and Toyota DO !
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:52 am
bsb
Forum Regular

Real men dont worry about scratching the bed of their truck , they are working vehicles, and the bed rusting out is not a major concern, its just cosmetic.

Are you comparing MSRPs, or the actual price you can negotiate down to? There a big difference in the desperation level of a GM dealer over a Honda one!

How does the Hondas towing capacity compare out of curiosity, and does saving few hundred on the tow package compensate for the odd shape of the bed that makes getting a cap or tonneau a more expensive or perhaps impossible option.

The extra warranty is a good thing as Honda parts will be far more expensive than a comparable domestic vehicle.

How do insurance costs compare?
You are not kidding when you say GM are desperate !
Cap is 5,000 pounds even on the BASE model
Covers etc are available from honda AND third party so I guess the impossible became possible (prices are fair too)
even the interior spec on the base model whups the base spec on the domestics
Insurance will add about $40 per year (just the fuel consumptions savings alone will more than cover that with some to spare)

The parts are a little more expensive but as you say the better warranty makes up for a lot. Also there are more and more of them about so I would expect parts to become cheaper by the time I need them. (bit like the domestics they been around so long with very little change apart from some cosmetics, parts are two a penny but they fail so often they need to be)
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsb
Cap is 5,000 pounds even on the BASE model
If they are taking foreign currency they must be desperate

So are you comparing list prices or after rebate / negotiation? If GM cant undercut Honda in the real world they have a serious problem ahead.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:21 am
bsb
Forum Regular

So are you comparing list prices or after rebate / negotiation? If GM cant undercut Honda in the real world they have a serious problem ahead.
Hell my wife works on the line @ CAMI so I get the full discount etc etc..

@ the mo I have just compared list prices and looked close at the truck that make it onto my list. honda will let me have a 24hr test drive Gm will let me have a regular test drive (round the block type stuff) Toyota will let me have one for about 5 hours. Honda already know I can get full discount and have already offered 5% off (contractor discount) but promised to "sharpen the pencil if needed in other areas" the Dakota has been dropped from the list as it works out more expensive at the end of the day and the dealer wasnt too interested in cutting any deals. (lack of interest= lack of customer)

That leaves two imports and one domestic in the running.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsb
Hell my wife works on the line @ CAMI so I get the full discount etc etc..

@ the mo I have just compared list prices and looked close at the truck that make it onto my list. honda will let me have a 24hr test drive Gm will let me have a regular test drive (round the block type stuff) Toyota will let me have one for about 5 hours. Honda already know I can get full discount and have already offered 5% off (contractor discount) but promised to "sharpen the pencil if needed in other areas" the Dakota has been dropped from the list as it works out more expensive at the end of the day and the dealer wasnt too interested in cutting any deals. (lack of interest= lack of customer)

That leaves two imports and one domestic in the running.
Did you check out the Ford Sportrac mid size or was the load bay just too small. Only interested as Ford has really got its act together build quality wise in the Uk and was hoping they might do the same in Canada.
Stuarty
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:49 am
bsb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Did you check out the Ford Sportrac mid size or was the load bay just too small. Only interested as Ford has really got its act together build quality wise in the Uk and was hoping they might do the same in Canada.
Stuarty
Soz Stu it never got on my list.
Shame cos we got a ford plant on the doorstep almost and they look like they gonna close up shop (talbotville)

the only way I would buy a ford now is with a lincoln badge on it.

Ford are on the ropes out here along with the other big two.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iaink, how about you get a test drive in the new GM's and let us all know what the build quality is like and what discounts are to be had
Stuarty
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's too long. The GMC and 19' Nash are difficult enough to get around corners.

We've been everywhere man..
K'Country..Prov parks and private
Golden......Middle of a field on a JFW get away
Mara Lake.Prov' parks and private
K'Town.....Private parks
Glenifer Lake..Private park

Tomorrow we are off to Lake Skaha (Penticton)
No reported "trouble getting around corners"
Mr WG used to be a farmer, so he is quite the expert at towing.
Looking around camp sites you will see trailers a lot bigger than our common 28fter.
Must go still got about 16ft of trailer to load for our vacation...2wks of sun lake and sand.
I'll be looking out for you Rich_007
X
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Iaink, how about you get a test drive in the new GM's and let us all know what the build quality is like and what discounts are to be had
Stuarty
Cos I might like it , and although I might be able to afford the payments, I cant afford the ensuing divorce
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wild George
We've been everywhere man..
K'Country..Prov parks and private
Golden......Middle of a field on a JFW get away
Mara Lake.Prov' parks and private
K'Town.....Private parks
Glenifer Lake..Private park

Tomorrow we are off to Lake Skaha (Penticton)
No reported "trouble getting around corners"
Mr WG used to be a farmer, so he is quite the expert at towing.
Looking around camp sites you will see trailers a lot bigger than our common 28fter.
Must go still got about 16ft of trailer to load for our vacation...2wks of sun lake and sand.
I'll be looking out for you Rich_007
X

I'm afraid I don't know any of those places, have you tried the San Juan's ?

Iaink's right, no man can afford a divorce in Ontario, eeek!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.