Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by JanetM
. . . we want to get away from the rubbish government that the uk has.
No one's trying to discourage you but when you make statements like this, one wonders if life-altering decisions are rooted in reality.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:43 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

It's sad when people use tastelessness and nastiness under the cloak of banter.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
Well said.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:50 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
I think what Oink is implying is the fact that they'd be jumping from one "rubbish government" to another. To think the Canadian government is a bed of roses is not reality.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:26 am
Just Joined

JanetM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
The "mickey takers" already have PR/citizenship and experience of Canada so you have some catching up to do

In all seriousness, it's not really mickey taking as such, just friendly banter with some hidden, and valid, points with regards to the reality versus the dream.

It's always interesting reading posts from people who have never set foot in Canada yet they believe their dream is to live there because "it offers much more than the UK". The truth of the matter is that it offers "different" opportunities. Some better and some not so.

I also think people underestimate the impact the immigration route has on themselves and their family, and more so underestimate life and it's offerings in the UK. Mainly when they're at a low ebb or feel stagnant in their lives.

You could very easily be doing yourselves a huge disservice by not visiting NS, and other provinces if possible, multiple times throughout the seasons to get a feel for the place, people, opportunities, distance, cost of living, etc etc. An investment in your future i guess.

Fingers crossed it all works out for you but you need to set realistic expectations because more often than not, dreams can differ greatly from reality.
I do have realistic reasons for wanting to go along with selfish ones and superficial ones, I just dont want to list them all on here as it would be never ending. I am hoping to come and see it for real for myself next year, as I would hope to try and use the advice Wildy Immigration gave me & try the PNP route
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As pp's have said, it's just friendly banter and not meant to be insulting. We do get a lot of people on here that don't seem to have done their research, seem to think that life in Canada will be cheap and crime free. When you point out that Canada's cost of living is the same as UK and that there are more murders per capita in Canada than the UK, they are often very surprised!

People are just trying to let you know (in that typical Brit 'piss taking' style) that life in Canada isn't a bed of roses, and to make sure you have realistic expectations. I'm sure you've researched (although you want to get away from 'rubbish government' so not quite sure why you've picked Canada ) and made the right decision for your family, which is great.

I think it's very useful to have those who have lived in Canada for years (as most who have replied to you have) give you a heads up - we've seen a lot of forum members return to the UK over the years having decided Canada's not for them, and often it's good for people to hear the negatives as well as the positives before they go.
I am all for a laugh like everybody else and thought long and hard about leaving the uk, it has been talked about in our house for the last 3 years looking at various countries and Canada was our winner. We just need to make a trip or 2 and keep researching all I can about it. Nova Scotia is our 1st choice and I understand things dont all fall in to place because you want them to. Everybody has to work hard to get what they want from life and choosing to emmigrate is a choice for many people and if you dont try to get what you want in life then things just become "what if"
You have to take the bad with the good and its a challenge I look forward to
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I do have realistic reasons for wanting to go along with selfish ones and superficial ones, I just dont want to list them all on here as it would be never ending. I am hoping to come and see it for real for myself next year, as I would hope to try and use the advice Wildy Immigration gave me & try the PNP route
Reasons can be realistic, expectations on the other hand are more difficult to temper if the only experience you have of a country are nice pictures, marketing literature, pleasant stories, disappointment within your current environment, etc etc.

I truly do hope it all works for the best but you do really need to spend time there in differing seasons, understand the issues from within the country/province/city/town, get a real grasp of employment and educational opportunities, and so on.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
It would be interesting to know whether any quantitative research has been done on this. For example, x% of expats return from Canada after one year, two years, five years etc. Sites like this tend to be quite polarising - from the dreamers who want to go, to those who have had enough and want to come home.

It's quite hard to get a handle on how many go and love it, and how many come back to the UK.
As I'm just finishing up an MPhil this is a thought that occurs to me quite a lot! If I had lots of free time I'd do a wee study and put a survey on the forum... but unfortunately free time is not something I have a lot of at the moment!

Re. the original poster... if you are currently living in Orkney I suspect you'd find Nova Scotia to be great. It is not an area of huge cities, but smallish communities, with the difference from the north of Scotland being that there are pretty decent highways connecting most of them! You can live in the middle of nowhere but still be able to get to a town, or even city like Halifax in an hour (or less!).
I'd definitely recommend a visit, we have made 2 trips now and are part-way through the application process by NS PNP-CI. If you want to PM me for a chat or info feel free.

I currently live in Glasgow, and can't see why anyone would want to move to live close to it
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
Reasons can be realistic, expectations on the other hand are more difficult to temper if the only experience you have of a country are nice pictures, marketing literature, pleasant stories, disappointment within your current environment, etc etc.

I truly do hope it all works for the best but you do really need to spend time there in differing seasons, understand the issues from within the country/province/city/town, get a real grasp of employment and educational opportunities, and so on.
I have a lot of Canadian relations in Ontario, Newfoundland & Saskachewan so will be visiting other parts of Canada also. We would have been a visit years ago but wanted to wait until the kids were old enough to appreciate it as its not like a package holiday you book and say oh we are only going to Spain this year.

I moved to Orkney 8 years ago and up until then I was a volunteer coastguard, aswell as having a full time job and a baby. I know I live on an island and surrounded by the sea but cant do it here as I live too far away from the harbours, I might come across as being rude or abrupt or worse and even stubborn I am flexible in where we would eventually settle if we got the green light as that would be dictated by whatever came first job or visa but I if we were lucky enough to go to Nova Scotia I might just look into becoming a coastguard again depending on our exact location
I have been looking at houses all over Canada not just Nova Scotia because as you say it is a big country
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:38 am
Beep

I have a lot of Canadian relations in Ontario, Newfoundland & Saskachewan so will be visiting other parts of Canada also. We would have been a visit years ago but wanted to wait until the kids were old enough to appreciate it as its not like a package holiday you book and say oh we are only going to Spain this year.

I moved to Orkney 8 years ago and up until then I was a volunteer coastguard, aswell as having a full time job and a baby. I know I live on an island and surrounded by the sea but cant do it here as I live too far away from the harbours, I might come across as being rude or abrupt or worse and even stubborn I am flexible in where we would eventually settle if we got the green light as that would be dictated by whatever came first job or visa but I if we were lucky enough to go to Nova Scotia I might just look into becoming a coastguard again depending on our exact location
I have been looking at houses all over Canada not just Nova Scotia because as you say it is a big country
Well as i said, fingers crossed for you and hopefully it'll all work out with an easy process as possible
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:21 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Janet

I found this whilst scouting around the Internet which might interest you

https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc....303&psrsMode=1

It does say that Permanent Residents can apply although preference to Citizens....... and the salary whilst training doesn't look that attractive but the training is carried out in Nova Scotia

Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Janet

I found this whilst scouting around the Internet which might interest you

https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc....303&psrsMode=1

It does say that Permanent Residents can apply although preference to Citizens....... and the salary whilst training doesn't look that attractive but the training is carried out in Nova Scotia

Thanks for that, I did read about the coastguard college being there, if we were there now I would apply instantly but it is really worth thinking about if we get the green light as I really enjoyed it when I did do it