Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Just Joined

JanetM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Hi everybody,
I am 31 and my partner is 36 we have two kids a boy 9 and a girl 6.
We have been looking at emigrating to Nova Scotia since January, I have downloaded and filled out the Skilled Worker application pack but not yet posted it as they put a cap on the number of applications they accept for this route now (and it can take up to 4 years) so would like to try the Provincial Nominee route as I think it would be less frustrating for the kids not having to wait so long for it to happen. We want a better way of life for all of us, the kids want to live somewhere where it really snows, better opportunities for our children, the list is endless. I have been looking at property online and have narrowed my search to around a 30/40min radius of Halifax.
We live in Orkney, Scotland. I am an Accounts Assistant & my partner is a Chargehand Joiner. I am starting a college course this month doing an HNC in Sweets & Desserts (just to try something diffrent for me that doesnt involve running after the kids)
If we got the ok for Canada we would sell up and move in a heartbeat (once we sell our house we would have around $100k) this is the other reason I would like to avoid the skilled worker route as we have to show the funds in our bank quite early on in the process.
So all you friendly people in Nova Scotia that would like to offer help/advice friendship, employment possibilities please get in touch. I can also be found on facebook so if you want to add me on there you will find me with my email <snip>

Last edited by Sue; Sep 13th 2010 at 1:39 pm. Reason: email address removed. Not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreaming Of Nova Scotia

Hi Janet, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by JanetM
I have downloaded and filled out the Skilled Worker application pack but not yet posted it as they put a cap on the number of applications they accept for this route now (and it can take up to 4 years)
It seems that you've been misinformed - SW visas only take approx 8 months these days. It used to take years, but since they changed the system in 2008 it doesn't anymore. Bear in mind that it's not just the 'application pack' that you need to send now though, it's also all of your supporting documents (including your IELTS result) so it will probably take you a month or two to get it all together.

Also, there is a quota for each occupation, but it's not been reached yet, so if you hurry up and apply you should be fine.

Skilled Worker is a much easier and quicker route than PNP, so if you want the most straightforward route, and are definitely eligible, then that's your best bet. Also, you'd have to show proof of funds for PNP too, so that doesn't solve that problem either!

Hope that helps a bit on the visa side of things, re: NS I've only been there once so can't comment on the rest of your post, but there are plenty in NS who will no doubt help. A quick search of the forum and you'll find lots of info about life in Canada etc - the Canniversary section is essential reading (to see how people are getting on over there, both the negatives and positives) and so is the Moving Back to the UK forum (to see why people return from Canada).

Good luck and happy researching!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 13th 2010 at 7:26 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:33 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Take a look at BE's of Nova Scotia facebook page, lots of us on there.

If you meet the criteria under the new system to apply then this is the easiest as it doesnt require the job offer , will depend if your jobs are on the list, if not you will need a job offer to be able to apply under the other federal routes or skilled worker PNP for NS. One other option if you are looking at NS is the CI stream which also does not require a job offer but connections to a community, what specific areas are you looking at? Have you visited NS before?

We have family up at John O Groats and have visited Orkney and its a beautiful part of the world
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

lots of us around. Where abouts are you looking at?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
lots of us around. Where abouts are you looking at?
Would like to be around 30-40 minutes from Halifax not that fussy about where exactly, I have been looking at houses online and the one I like most is in Wellington but time will tell if & when it happens.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Janet, and welcome to the forum.

It seems that you've been misinformed - SW visas only take approx 8 months these days. It used to take years, but since they changed the system in 2008 it doesn't anymore. Bear in mind that it's not just the 'application pack' that you need to send now though, it's also all of your supporting documents (including your IELTS result) so it will probably take you a month or two to get it all together.

Also, there is a quota for each occupation, but it's not been reached yet, so if you hurry up and apply you should be fine.

Skilled Worker is a much easier and quicker route than PNP, so if you want the most straightforward route, and are definitely eligible, then that's your best bet. Also, you'd have to show proof of funds for PNP too, so that doesn't solve that problem either!

Hope that helps a bit on the visa side of things, re: NS I've only been there once so can't comment on the rest of your post, but there are plenty in NS who will no doubt help. A quick search of the forum and you'll find lots of info about life in Canada etc - the Canniversary section is essential reading (to see how people are getting on over there, both the negatives and positives) and so is the Moving Back to the UK forum (to see why people return from Canada).

Good luck and happy researching!
I have received advice from Wildy Immigration and they recommeded we do the PNP. Global Visas said to go with SW and David Cohen said we didnt meet the requirements. Going by CIC we have enough points to be accepted in Canada and a bit confused now by it all.

I have been browsing through the forum and found lots of interesting things, am looking forward to finding even more.

Thanks for your info, its much appreciated
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

Take a look at BE's of Nova Scotia facebook page, lots of us on there.

If you meet the criteria under the new system to apply then this is the easiest as it doesnt require the job offer , will depend if your jobs are on the list, if not you will need a job offer to be able to apply under the other federal routes or skilled worker PNP for NS. One other option if you are looking at NS is the CI stream which also does not require a job offer but connections to a community, what specific areas are you looking at? Have you visited NS before?

We have family up at John O Groats and have visited Orkney and its a beautiful part of the world
Hiya,
Thanks for replying,

Yes my partners occupation is on the list, We have never been to Canada before but have canadian relations in Ontario, Newfoundland & Saskatchewan.
We chose Nova Scotia as its beside the sea and I dont think I could live too far from the sea as I have been beside it all my life (sad but true) better climate than Scotland, opportunities for the kids, time diffrence from UK to Nova Scotia for keeping in touch with people via skype etc. I could go on forever about why we chose it. Quite simply its beautiful

John O Groats its a small world indeed
Janet
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have received advice from Wildy Immigration and they recommeded we do the PNP. Global Visas said to go with SW and David Cohen said we didnt meet the requirements. Going by CIC we have enough points to be accepted in Canada and a bit confused now by it all.
Ok, if Wildy and David Cohen (both v well respected on here) said you aren't eligible under FSW, then they're probably right.

You say you have enough points, so are you sure you have an occupation on 'the list'? You say your husband is a joiner, but only 'Carpentry Supervisors' are on 'the list' so perhaps he doesn't have the requisite supervisory experience? Has he supervised many people and/or owned his own business?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ok, if Wildy and David Cohen (both v well respected on here) said you aren't eligible under FSW, then they're probably right.

You say you have enough points, so are you sure you have an occupation on 'the list'? You say your husband is a joiner, but only 'Carpentry Supervisors' are on 'the list' so perhaps he doesn't have the requisite supervisory experience? Has he supervised many people and/or owned his own business?
Hi christmasoompa,

Here in the uk he is whats called a chargehand joiner, which is a supervisor he has around 10 joiners he is responsible for and he trains the apprentices, he has been doing this for the last 10 years. He also has a trade in plastering & tiling. His qualification is Joinery & Carpentry.
The main thing we have noticed in Canada is that a carpenter does roughing out, framing or finishings but in the uk you have to do everything.

Wildy said to go PNP rather than SW because of the cap that was introduced as they receive millions of application every year and thought PNP would be quicker for us
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:21 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would listen to Wildy immigration as they are very well informed. Nova Scotia is beautiful and we are hoping to be there soon too, on the CI Route. Good luck
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Personally I would listen to Wildy immigration as they are very well informed. Nova Scotia is beautiful and we are hoping to be there soon too, on the CI Route. Good luck
You are so lucky , there is so much info to take in and things to do, its crazy the amount of stuff piling up at the computer desk.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:56 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

You are so lucky , there is so much info to take in and things to do, its crazy the amount of stuff piling up at the computer desk.
Hi Janet

Welcome to the forum. Our family landed recently after our NS PNP application was successful via the CI Route. Feel free to make contact if you want any pointers etc

Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:05 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We had a lot of help from some good people on here: jimmydean, nikkidreaming, amydavid, spring to mind but there are lots of others too.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,
I am 31 and my partner is 36 we have two kids a boy 9 and a girl 6.
We have been looking at emigrating to Nova Scotia since January, I have downloaded and filled out the Skilled Worker application pack but not yet posted it as they put a cap on the number of applications they accept for this route now (and it can take up to 4 years) so would like to try the Provincial Nominee route as I think it would be less frustrating for the kids not having to wait so long for it to happen. We want a better way of life for all of us, the kids want to live somewhere where it really snows, better opportunities for our children, the list is endless. I have been looking at property online and have narrowed my search to around a 30/40min radius of Halifax.
We live in Orkney, Scotland. I am an Accounts Assistant & my partner is a Chargehand Joiner. I am starting a college course this month doing an HNC in Sweets & Desserts (just to try something diffrent for me that doesnt involve running after the kids)
If we got the ok for Canada we would sell up and move in a heartbeat (once we sell our house we would have around $100k) this is the other reason I would like to avoid the skilled worker route as we have to show the funds in our bank quite early on in the process.
So all you friendly people in Nova Scotia that would like to offer help/advice friendship, employment possibilities please get in touch. I can also be found on facebook so if you want to add me on there you will find me with my email <snip>
Have you thought of moving near Edinburgh or Aberdeen? Probably much more in the way of "better opportunities" than moving to Nova Scotia as a foreigner and a much easier process.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:39 am
Happy

Originally Posted by Oink
Have you thought of moving near Edinburgh or Aberdeen? Probably much more in the way of "better opportunities" than moving to Nova Scotia as a foreigner and a much easier process.
Where are you Oink? Just curious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.