Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Downloading torrents

Downloading torrents

Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:58 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Downloading torrents

So I just started to download a file on my iMac this morning, and was getting crappy DL speeds of under 100kbs.
It's been like that for over an hour, so I've just tried the same file on my laptop and I'm getting DL speeds of nearly 2mbs.

Anyone know why this might be?
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Downloading torrents

Never mind. Laptop is now showing same speeds as the mac.
Bugger.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about what you ISP policy is, but there are a few ISPs in the UK (maybe even all of them) that will reduce you connection speed if they feel you are running particular types of downloads. If they've detected you are using a torrent then that could be why.

Then again, it could simply be a general problem hitting everyone in your area.

Cheers

C
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

1 - Try setting it to only use encrypted connections to hide what you're doing from the ISP
2 - It could be that their aren't many seeders and the ones that didn't limit the upload speed have stopped uploading.

Otherwise just be patient - it's the nature of torrents to sometimes take ages to download.