Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Double tax on Uk government pension ??

Double tax on Uk government pension ??

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

nixxxs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double tax on Uk government pension ??

Hi all
I hope someone can assist me here,
I am currently a serving uk police officer who will be retiring to Canada with a full 30 year pension in march 2010
I have spoken (briefly) to Uk inland revenue who advised me that my police pension monthly sum will categorically be taxed by Uk inland revenue
I am aware that Canada & uk are signatories of the double taxation treaty, but what I want to know is the following-
As I understand it Canada tax levels are more than uk, if so will I have to pay the difference to Canadian Inland revenue ?
I think I also have to apply for something from Uk Inland revenue to declare the pension as being uk pensionable as well, anyone know the answers?
many thanks
Steve
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double tax on Uk government pension ??

Its arguable that canadian tax levels are higher, I find I pay about the same or even less tax here, but IF you are a canadian tax resident and the rate is higher here, then yes, you will have to make up the difference...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 21st 2010 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm he doesn't believe his wife!!

toldya honey nanananana
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
hmmm he doesn't believe his wife!!

toldya honey nanananana
Does that mean I should register you on the "common IP address" list then
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

he is my husband yes
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nixxxs
Hi all
I am currently a serving uk police officer who will be retiring to Canada with a full 30 year pension in march 2010
I have spoken (briefly) to Uk inland revenue who advised me that my police pension monthly sum will categorically be taxed by Uk inland revenue
I am aware that Canada & uk are signatories of the double taxation treaty, but what I want to know is the following-
As I understand it Canada tax levels are more than uk, if so will I have to pay the difference to Canadian Inland revenue ?
I think I also have to apply for something from Uk Inland revenue to declare the pension as being uk pensionable as well, anyone know the answers?
many thanks
Steve
NO, it is definitely not taxable in the UK. Take them a copy of the Tax Treaty and point out:

Article 17
Pensions and Annuities

1. Pensions arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State who is the beneficial owner thereof shall be taxable only in that other State.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conventions/UK_-eng.asp

However, the UK will tax the pension until they get confirmation from the Canada Revenue Agency that you are tax-resident in Canada. Until that time you can deduct any UK tax paid from the Canadian tax owing on the same income. If the Canadian tax rate is higher you pay the difference. If it is lower you don't get a refund.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Hi all
many thanks
Steve
I can't believe the crap advice the contact centres give. No, you need to apply for exemption from UK tax under the UK/Canada DTA. This may take some time as so many experienced Inspectors, like me, have retired & the muppets are in charge.

Not bitter, but there you go.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

And how would one do that?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

What Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant future

Go to the HMRC website, find the overseas resident registration form, fill it in and send.

Simple as that. As long as you declare it and pay tax in either country, Bob's your uncle.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

many thanks for that "GagainPEI" oh bitter one lol !!
I take it that the exemption is obtained from uk inland revenue filled out , authenticated then sent to canada I/r who acknowledge it and I then will be liable under them, is this seamless and sorted between inland revenue ' s between countries so I am then not taxed by uk and just owe ca I/r ?
ty again
(for all replies so far)
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

many thanks for that "GagainPEI" oh bitter one lol !!
I take it that the exemption is obtained from uk inland revenue filled out , authenticated then sent to canada I/r who acknowledge it and I then will be liable under them, is this seamless and sorted between inland revenue ' s between countries so I am then not taxed by uk and just owe ca I/r ?
ty again
(for all replies so far)
I can't be arsed this evening finding the links. Please trawl through my posts to find them. Failing that, I'll look tomorrow & let you know. Car's in for service so it'll be in the afternoon. Suffice to say, the pension will be taxed in Canada, not the UK, but you need to claim the exemption via Nottingham.

Stop worrying. You've just been given crap advice.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

ty all again
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
I can't be arsed this evening finding the links. Please trawl through my posts to find them. Failing that, I'll look tomorrow & let you know. Car's in for service so it'll be in the afternoon. Suffice to say, the pension will be taxed in Canada, not the UK, but you need to claim the exemption via Nottingham.

Stop worrying. You've just been given crap advice.
My Husband has just told me off, for swearing. Oh dear!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:11 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

None of this addresses the question of you retiring to Canada on a pension. How are you achieving that? Are you a Canadian citizen or already have permanent residency? If not then you could be in for a hard time getting into Canada as a resident.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
None of this addresses the question of you retiring to Canada on a pension. How are you achieving that? Are you a Canadian citizen or already have permanent residency? If not then you could be in for a hard time getting into Canada as a resident.
His wife is Canadian - no such difficulties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.