Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

dont know where to start

dont know where to start

Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dont know where to start

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
CCIRC is not an agent, it's the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Resource Center, which is a listing of authorized agents and immigration lawyers published by (I think) CIC.
Nope, that's CSIC. Close though!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This is what I found http://www.immigration.ca/
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

russ67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it this is not the route I should be taking
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I found http://www.immigration.ca/
Yep, that's Colin Singer's site - nothing to do with the government/CIC.

OP - I believe that he's legitimate, but a quick forum search will give you more info.

You really need to figure out which visa route he's proposing for you though, there's no such thing as 'fast track immigration', so get him to be more specific. You can then see if you can do it yourself, and also double check that he's not proposing to charge you for helping you find a job or anything like that.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by russ67
I take it this is not the route I should be taking
Your choice completely.

Figure out which visa you're eligible for (read this - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration), then you can come back and ask questions about it, and look up the paperwork involved to see if you are happy doing it yourself or not. If not, then you can search the forum for recommended immigration consultants, or use Colin Singer if you're happy with him.

Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's Colin Singer's site - nothing to do with the government/CIC.

OP - I believe that he's legitimate, but a quick forum search will give you more info.
<just trying to help >
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

CCIRC is not an agent, it's the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Resource Center, which is a listing of authorized agents and immigration lawyers published by (I think) CIC.
Blimey, you academics will fall for anything

Always check who owns the domain name for anything thats sound pseudo governmental... (no "gc" in the url )

Last edited by iaink; Apr 20th 2012 at 8:05 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

russ67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

Always check who owns the domain name for anything thats sound pseudo governmental... (no "gc" in the url )
thanks to you all , Ive taken most of it onboard and will research further , and save money to boot
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

<just trying to help >
Oh, I know. Just didn't want the OP thinking that was a government site.

Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Russ - this forum is a godsend. When I first looked into emigrating, quite a while ago, I looked at consultants and thought you just had to pay that type of money to get a chance to get in. Then I did some research, found this place, found that we could do it ourselves, and thanks to the lovely helpful people on here we *did* do it ourselves and now have lovely visas!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:13 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by iaink

Not to put too fine a point on it, bugger off.

<edit: but thanks for the k Mr. k.>
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Paul in Calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

A Canadian government employee will give you all the info a "consultant" will charge you for.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul in Calgary
A Canadian government employee will give you all the info a "consultant" will charge you for.
And we are not allowed to receive gratuities for that info either
even if we go above and beyond the call of duty.
Not all people have access to Govt employees especially when in the UK and some of the websites are hard to navigate for some.
This is why sites such as these can help people and I also appreciate OPs who provide this info on a variety of subjects not all relating to Immigration.
We do it to help not for a reward though if the odd bottle of Captain Morgan Private Stock or Appleton Estate 12 yr headed my way I wouldnt complain
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Paul in Calgary
Erm.......no, they won't. The 'misinformation line' is manned by people reading off a script who frequently give the wrong info, and there is no way of speaking to an immigration officer directly.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And we are not allowed to receive gratuities for that info either
even if we go above and beyond the call of duty.
And it's worth pointing out that FL is a CBSA officer, so whilst he knows a great deal about what may enter Canada, who may, etc, etc, he doesn't (with the greatest of respect FL!) have a lot of knowledge about qualifying for visas. So even if you do get a 'government official' to speak to, they're not always the right kind!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Erm.......no, they won't. The 'misinformation line' is manned by people reading off a script who frequently give the wrong info, and there is no way of speaking to an immigration officer directly.

And it's worth pointing out that FL is a CBSA officer, so whilst he knows a great deal about what may enter Canada, who may, etc, etc, he doesn't (with the greatest of respect FL!) have a lot of knowledge about qualifying for visas. So even if you do get a 'government official' to speak to, they're not always the right kind!
That is very true but Im learning more from the likes of yourself and PMM and others. If Im in doubt I just provide the link or leave it to others.
Hopefully Im not giving out too much erroneous info.