Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Doing courses while on an open work permit?

Doing courses while on an open work permit?

Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of
Question Doing courses while on an open work permit?

I have tried looking on the CIC website for info but haven't been able to find anything so was hoping one of the regulars would know the answer:

I have a spousal open work permit. Can I do courses such as those offered by the Alberta Arbitration and Mediation Society or do I have to swap over to a study permit to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

irishgirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doing courses while on an open work permit?

as far as i know no. it says on your permit.no study? well mine does.

good luck
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I could study on mine in BC - BUT i would have had to pay international student fees!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I could study on mine in BC - BUT i would have had to pay international student fees!
Thanks for the answers.

I'm confused, the actual permit says: "Unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course".

I queried this at the POE and was told that NCA challenge exams were fine, presumably because it isn't through any educational institution. So I just need to find out whether the Society courses fall within the scope of the prohibition.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

I think ( only think ) that you can attend a course for a max of 6 months, after that you need a study permit.
I have a friend who is doing that and she called CIC to inquire.
But please don't quote me on that.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

5.11. Short-term courses
Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of studies of six months’ duration or less [R188(1)(c)]. This six-month criterion helps to facilitate easy access to short-term courses, regardless of their subject matter. The course or program of study should be completed within the period (normally six months) authorized upon entry.
R188 - Explanatory notes
There are other courses offered by institutions in Canada that do not constitute academic, professional or vocational training. Such courses could be "interest courses", such as those offered by local school boards in continuing Education, or "hobby courses", "self improvement", and "life skills" courses and which could range from flower arranging to cake decorating, auto mechanics, and typing. Although some of the skills learned at those courses might prove to be potentially useful in the workplace, they are not primarily directed towards career training. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act does not require an SP for these courses, which are short term, non-credit, general interest courses because they are not "academic, professional or vocational training" courses. Unlike professional or vocational training, these courses are generally characterized by a lack of a formal curriculum, no formal examination and no official credit towards a degree or diploma.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Aug 8th 2012 at 6:43 am.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
5.11. Short-term courses
Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of studies of six months’ duration or less [R188(1)(c)]. This six-month criterion helps to facilitate easy access to short-term courses, regardless of their subject matter. The course or program of study should be completed within the period (normally six months) authorized upon entry.
R188 - Explanatory notes
There are other courses offered by institutions in Canada that do not constitute academic, professional or vocational training. Such courses could be "interest courses", such as those offered by local school boards in continuing Education, or "hobby courses", "self improvement", and "life skills" courses and which could range from flower arranging to cake decorating, auto mechanics, and typing. Although some of the skills learned at those courses might prove to be potentially useful in the workplace, they are not primarily directed towards career training. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act does not require an SP for these courses, which are short term, non-credit, general interest courses because they are not "academic, professional or vocational training courses. Unlike professional or vocational training, these courses are generally characterized by a lack of a formal curriculum, no formal examination and no official credit towards a degree or diploma.
Anecdotally, I have certainly 'attended' CPD courses that could easily be stretched into such a broad exceptional category; I am sure an lawyer worth their salt could do the same
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

What about an online course with a UK-based instituation? It would be work-related.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
What about an online course with a UK-based instituation? It would be work-related.
The answer is Yes you can take it as the course is online and administered from the UK. Briefly put if you register and attend a CANADIAN Uni or post secondary facility then you require a Study Permit unless exempted under Reg 188.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks. This sounds very optimistic.