Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dogs to Ottawa

Dogs to Ottawa

Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future
Default Dogs to Ottawa

The sponsorship of my wife has been approved so now we’re waiting to hear from the CHC London. As we’ve already bought a house in Ottawa we are planning to go early to mid-June.

I just was wondering if anyone had any experiences of transporting dogs to Ottawa. We’ve decided to use Ladyhaye (Zoom Airlines), though we haven’t actually returned their booking form yet.

We’ve got a Yorkshire Terrier and a Giant Schnauzer. What happens to them in Ottawa after landing? How long will it take my wife & me to get through immigration before we can collect them? I’ve been told they are unloaded at the cargo terminal.

Thanks

Russ…
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

BackToCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs to Ottawa

Here's what you're looking for:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/dogse.shtml

Seems like rabies is the only real issue... there's a list of what countries are rabies free on the page of the link above.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blueRussell
The sponsorship of my wife has been approved so now we’re waiting to hear from the CHC London. As we’ve already bought a house in Ottawa we are planning to go early to mid-June.

I just was wondering if anyone had any experiences of transporting dogs to Ottawa. We’ve decided to use Ladyhaye (Zoom Airlines), though we haven’t actually returned their booking form yet.

We’ve got a Yorkshire Terrier and a Giant Schnauzer. What happens to them in Ottawa after landing? How long will it take my wife & me to get through immigration before we can collect them? I’ve been told they are unloaded at the cargo terminal.

Thanks

Russ…
I can't advise on the dog part but I use Ottawa airport quite often. It's small, quiet and nothing seems to take very long.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

And now for the practical stuff.

Don't go to the extra expense of having a wood crate built, simply buy the airline approved plastic dog carrier boxes. These come in three sizes, small, medium, and large. Follow the airline directions about NOT feeding the dogs prior to the flight ( ask for that information right away ) and be calm, some dogs ( show dogs) travel by air , as much as some people do. Live animals are loaded last and unloaded first, at arrival, before any thing else comes off the plane.

On arrival, the dogs will be taken in their boxes to the cargo building, where the staff will take them out, to the dog run area, with real Canadian grass, for a roll and a walk. After you have cleared Immigration and Customs, you can go over to the cargo area, and claim your dogs. The UK is considered to be "rabies free " so no quarantine is needed. You will need a Vet's certificate of good health ( no more than 3 months old at the time of the flight ) and their "shots record " book.

Once you are in the house in Ottawa, get them each a city of Ottawa dog tag , so they are identified, and can be traced back to you if they are lost. Ask the neighbours with dogs about a local Vet to use. You can buy " pet health insurance " in Canada. that pays for emergency Vet care, and also covers some routine things like annual examinations .

Good luck and remember they will sleep most of the flight, in their little "caves ".

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

blueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant futureblueRussell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
And now for the practical stuff.

Don't go to the extra expense of having a wood crate built, simply buy the airline approved plastic dog carrier boxes. These come in three sizes, small, medium, and large. Follow the airline directions about NOT feeding the dogs prior to the flight ( ask for that information right away ) and be calm, some dogs ( show dogs) travel by air , as much as some people do. Live animals are loaded last and unloaded first, at arrival, before any thing else comes off the plane.

On arrival, the dogs will be taken in their boxes to the cargo building, where the staff will take them out, to the dog run area, with real Canadian grass, for a roll and a walk. After you have cleared Immigration and Customs, you can go over to the cargo area, and claim your dogs. The UK is considered to be "rabies free " so no quarantine is needed. You will need a Vet's certificate of good health ( no more than 3 months old at the time of the flight ) and their "shots record " book.

Once you are in the house in Ottawa, get them each a city of Ottawa dog tag , so they are identified, and can be traced back to you if they are lost. Ask the neighbours with dogs about a local Vet to use. You can buy " pet health insurance " in Canada. that pays for emergency Vet care, and also covers some routine things like annual examinations .

Good luck and remember they will sleep most of the flight, in their little "caves ".

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Thanks.

I did have to have a crate built. After taking the measurements of Mr Blue I was told by Air Canada, British Airways & Ladyhaye that he was too big for one of the airline plastic crates. He is above the average height and weight for a Giant Schnauzer (8 ½ stone). I was hoping to get him used to the crate for a couple of months before we go. Unfortunately it sits, taking up loads of room, in our bedroom. And he won’t go in it unless I go in first! At least Charlie likes to sleep in his plastic crate.

But it’s reassuring to know they will be let out for a run while they wait for us to pick them up.

Cheers

Russ…
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Just a quick question about the run they let out into. I'm probably not going to be doing this for a while but always good to be prepared!! I have huskies who are prone to running off therefore, are they let out in a SECURE area, i.e. fully enclosed?
Thanks very much
C
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

Cynthia:

It is not a run, the Crargo staff take them outside on a lead, individually, to a dog toilet grass area, outside the cargo building. So no escapees.........

Be assured that many dogs and cats travel, every day, by air.

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that Jim, just something else to not worry about!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cynthia2373
Hi

Just a quick question about the run they let out into. I'm probably not going to be doing this for a while but always good to be prepared!! I have huskies who are prone to running off therefore, are they let out in a SECURE area, i.e. fully enclosed?
Thanks very much
C

El Al lost a cat at the Toronto airport, somehow it got out into the hold and when they opened the door it scampered off. I think the fact that this made the national news and that they organized search parties to comb the airport shows that it doesn't happen very often. (The cat was found after a couple of days during which the entire city held its breath).
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
El Al lost a cat at the Toronto airport, somehow it got out into the hold and when they opened the door it scampered off. I think the fact that this made the national news and that they organized search parties to comb the airport shows that it doesn't happen very often. (The cat was found after a couple of days during which the entire city held its breath).
Not good, poor El Al! Bet the cat had fun though! Although if it's anything like mine when it goes missing, it probably just spent the whole time sleeping!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

make sure you have all your certificates ready for inspection, If I recall, we called the airport before we left to ensure a vet was there for the inspection. This may have changed, I think we waited around 30 minutes before Dusty came through.