Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog walking in London and Edmonton

Dog walking in London and Edmonton

Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

darkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog walking in London and Edmonton

I know this sounds ridiculous, but one of our key factors in moving (besides the yards of bureaucratic tape) is how easy it is to take our dog out. I walk with her about 2 hours a day, and the quality of walk is important for both of our mental well-being's.

I understand there are lead laws that dictate a dog has to be on a lead in all public places within a city, apart from dog parks.

1. Is this correct?

2. I would never let my dog off on a street or near a kids playground or anything like that (and I always clean up after her) but she's remarkably well-behaved, and so I was wondering how strictly these rules were adhered to in park-typed areas?

3. What about outside city limits, in the wider countryside? And does anyone know how easy it is to get to area's like this on a day-to-day basis from London and Edmonton?

4. How easy is it to walk a dog in the depth of a Canadian Winter in these two places? And what else is there to do with them if it's not possible?

Thanks very much. You're going to be royally sick of me by the time I've finished my list of q's!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog walking in London and Edmonton

Originally Posted by darkin
I know this sounds ridiculous, but one of our key factors in moving (besides the yards of bureaucratic tape) is how easy it is to take our dog out. I walk with her about 2 hours a day, and the quality of walk is important for both of our mental well-being's.

I understand there are lead laws that dictate a dog has to be on a lead in all public places within a city, apart from dog parks.

1. Is this correct?

2. I would never let my dog off on a street or near a kids playground or anything like that (and I always clean up after her) but she's remarkably well-behaved, and so I was wondering how strictly these rules were adhered to in park-typed areas?

3. What about outside city limits, in the wider countryside? And does anyone know how easy it is to get to area's like this on a day-to-day basis from London and Edmonton?

4. How easy is it to walk a dog in the depth of a Canadian Winter in these two places? And what else is there to do with them if it's not possible?

Thanks very much. You're going to be royally sick of me by the time I've finished my list of q's!
1. Yep.

2. It depends really. You get lots of busy body type people that report all kinds of stuff, but it's not uncommon to see people with their dogs off leash when it's quiet. I do it myself sometimes. However, you run the risk of getting a ticket.

3. There are loads of off leash areas in and around Edmonton. The concept of "countryside" doesnt really exist here.

4. I walk my dog in all weather. Depending on what type of dog you have, you may have to invest in some boots to protect her paws from the snow, but otherwise she should be OK. I wouldnt let the weather prevent you from walking the dog unless it gets to like -40 (which is very rare- maybe once a year).
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

brilliant and quick response. Thanks so much.

What sort of walking is there to be had in Edmonton? Is it possible to get away from traffic sounds and feeling too 'city-ish', if that makes any sense?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by darkin
brilliant and quick response. Thanks so much.

What sort of walking is there to be had in Edmonton? Is it possible to get away from traffic sounds and feeling too 'city-ish', if that makes any sense?
The river valley is huge and cuts right through the city- it offers endless trails (including a few off leash areas) that'll probably take you ages to explore.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

that sounds great! Thanks so much. If you think of anything else dog-related, I might want to know, please feel free to post! I have a whole list of other dog-related questions I shall post too! Your info is greatly appreciated.