dog sledding?

Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:02 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default dog sledding?

We (hubby and I with no kids!) have a few days off by ourselves later in January and are sneaking off to Banff!

We are trying to decide whether it's worth $300 () to spend 2 hours on a dog sled trip or if you tire of looking up dogs' bottoms after the first ten minutes.

So has anyone done this? Was it a unique and exhilarating experience? Did you have a go at driving the thing ... above all was it FUN, and a lovely romantic thing for a couple on a getaway break?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:28 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dog sledding?

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
We (hubby and I with no kids!) have a few days off by ourselves later in January and are sneaking off to Banff!

We are trying to decide whether it's worth $300 () to spend 2 hours on a dog sled trip or if you tire of looking up dogs' bottoms after the first ten minutes.

So has anyone done this? Was it a unique and exhilarating experience? Did you have a go at driving the thing ... above all was it FUN, and a lovely romantic thing for a couple on a getaway break?
Yes, we did it and it was great. Not romantic though, I imagined Dr Zhivago furs and romance but it was hard work and mega fun. The first 10 minutes I was terrified and then suddenly it was fab. Not much sitting though, they make you get out on the hills and run up alongside the sled. "they" being the dogs they turn round and give you evil looks if you don't.

Hang on to your sled if you fall off, the dogs will just keep on running and take the sled with them

oh and yes they do fart in your face. Damn huskies
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think it could be great fun - but be prepared for a work out!

We did Snowy Owl tours in Canmore a few years ago for Daughter Number Two's birthday. However, the day started at about -23 degrees, and got colder (they almost called it off and I think perhaps we should not have gone that day after all, but we'd paid) - it was just too cold really. Kids feet were cold, and Happy Birthday to Daughter Number Two who ended up in tears! Even though they were well wrapped up in proper gear, I ended up sitting inside the sled (I didn't mind that bit ) with a 7 year old child sitting the wrong way around, facing me - with her socked feet shoved up under my armpits to keep warm. My jacket was open, I was freezing and had my head tucked down low and missed all the stunning scenery as it went whizzing past.

In the meantime, hubby got a full work out at the back and got off grinning from ear to ear saying what fun that was

Give it a go Rose
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
,... I imagined Dr Zhivago furs and romance....
..not so much then?

I think it does sound like fun, and though we'll likely go skiing, something different would be good too! I think I've just about talked 'im indoors into it ...
Thanks guys!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

We did it also with an 18 month old, last day of the season, lovely and warm beautiful clear sunny skies. Great fun, basically when in Rome etc.

I think we also used Snowy Owl in Canmore, good team, great dogs etc and finished with a fire, cookie and a cider.

Give it a go, skiing you can do repeatedly.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:15 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi

We went dog sledding in Tremblant and loved it......we helped bring the dogs to the sledges. Then my wife sat on the sledge whilst I stood and tried to control the thing. The dogs were amazing. We had the opportunity to change over at the half way point but my wife said "no bloody way, it looks knackering"...(i was)....she did say it was a little cold sat on the sledge so wrap up warm.

At the end we got to give the dog's biscuits and then help take them back to their enclosures. We then meet the husky puppies.

We loved the whole experience and so did our friends that came with us.

Cheers

JB
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Hi,

We went last March with Howling Dog Tours - fantastic company based in Canmore and they picked us up from our Banff hotel.

We had the option of driving the sled (with the professional!!) and half way through the tour we stopped for snacks and hot chocolate and a walk out onto a frozen lake.

We certainly didn't HAVE to get out and push or run alongside if we didn't want to.

It was incredible and we did it with a 3 year old.

Would definately recommend Howling Dog.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Yep, we did this a few years ago when family were visiting. It was def. cold and hard work -if you wanted to get out and have a go. My kids were 6 and 9 at the time and had a go - went flying when they went round a bend but happily survived!
Would recommend it as something to try at least once - wouldn't say it was romantic though )
Enjoy!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

This is where we went

http://www.haliburtonforest.com/dogsled.html

It's an interesting place all year round. The wolf centre is fascinating, even though the wolves are disappointingly small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUeCw6SOPk

can't remember how to do the embedding thing

Last edited by fledermaus; Dec 28th 2010 at 1:17 pm. Reason: video link
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing fun, we did a less interactive tour (just sit and have fun and hot chocolate). Cost about $110 all three of us in Montana.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

We went on a trip with Winterdance in Haliburton Ontario (www.winterdance.com) a few years ago - fantastic fun. OH and I each drove our own sleds with our own teams of 6 dogs, with 2 children each in our sleds (age 2 to 9). It was in the middle of a blizzard and the kids had about 2 inches of snow on their blankets when we got back.
It was quite strenuous (running up the hills, and stamping on the brakes on the way down) but I'd definitely recommend it.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest taking a small bottle of this to keep you warm and toasty.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 29th 2010 at 7:51 am.