Dog food

Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Acana is a Canadian made food and they export to various countries.

They make their food in Alberta for the Canadian and international markets except the US where they also have a facility.

They also make Orijen which they may also export.

We have a dog but we dont feed kibble and Acana is the only kibble I used when we did and its a good quality food for a kibble.
Acana and Orijen usually come out in reviews as the best kibble but it's exoensive. Kirkland does well in reviews too . We use Performatrin

For the OP. You shoukd be able to bring a small sealed bag of whatever your dogs are eating and that will be enough to gradually change to a new brand.
Even Labradors can get the squits if their food is changed suddenly so it isn't a picky eater thing. If all esker fails use pumpkin mixed in.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Our dogs eat Royal Canin. I don't know if it's available outside Canada but it's common here.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 5th 2018 at 2:22 am.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

Royal Canin, Orijen and Acana are all readily available in both UK and Canada (BC at any rate). I fed Applaws in the UK but I can't get it here so switched to Acana. I dont think Acana 's quite as good but it's still very high quality. It might be worth having a look at these brands before you move. Be prepared for the prices though!! I pay around $70 for 25lb bag of Acana and $90 for Orijen
Old Mar 5th 2018, 10:24 am
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Can anyone tell me if raw feeding is big in Canada? our French bulldog is raw fed only because she has gastro problems and it’s the only food that doesn’t cause her discomfort. She is currently on nature’s menu chicken with bone.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms
Can anyone tell me if raw feeding is big in Canada? our French bulldog is raw fed only because she has gastro problems and it’s the only food that doesn’t cause her discomfort. She is currently on nature’s menu chicken with bone.
When I lived with an eco-nutter we knew a few raw feeders. They didn't feed branded products though, just chopped the head off a chicken and threw it to the dogs. Are you saying that you feed packaged uncooked chicken products? If so, don't the preservatives in the product bugger up the dogs' innards?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
When I lived with an eco-nutter we knew a few raw feeders. They didn't feed branded products though, just chopped the head off a chicken and threw it to the dogs. Are you saying that you feed packaged uncooked chicken products? If so, don't the preservatives in the product bugger up the dogs' innards?
I buy it from a pets at home, it comes frozen I just measure what I need and defrost. it’s free flow minced Chicken with minced bone for added nutrition, I give them fruit and veg as a extra nutrition top up. No digestive problems both my frenchies are fed this Twice a day. It’s very popular in the U.K. some people don’t like it but it works for my two.
I’ve now found a supplier in PEI that does the same free flow chicken lucky.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Our 4 dogs are all fed raw and have been for some time.

The "basic" raw is a mash of meat and bone which my wife supplements with fish and all manner of chicken necks/feet etc. One of our neighbours is a hunter and she frequently buys deer and elk from him which she then butchers herself and feeds that to them too.

In Calgary, raw is easy to come by.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Our 4 dogs are all fed raw and have been for some time.

The "basic" raw is a mash of meat and bone which my wife supplements with fish and all manner of chicken necks/feet etc. One of our neighbours is a hunter and she frequently buys deer and elk from him which she then butchers herself and feeds that to them too.

In Calgary, raw is easy to come by.
My wife gives them sardines, my wife wouldn’t butcher anything she’s such a wimp when it comes to things like that!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My wife gives them sardines, my wife wouldn’t butcher anything she’s such a wimp when it comes to things like that!
I believe that my wife feeds our dogs sardines too but, as I don't get involved in any of it, I really couldn't tell. She has 3 large chest freezers that she keeps it all in and the fish are fed to them in a frozen state.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's popular in Vancouver where I am. We feed a commercially made raw, Red Dog Blue Kat which is made in Vancouver area form human grade meats.

Our dog has been on raw for 2 years and is going great.

The store we go to in Vancouver is called true carnivores, if you check their website you can get an idea of what is available in Canada for raw.

We chose a commercial raw as our dog in only 10 pounds, and its cheaper in the long run for us, and we lack freezer space. We rotate though several proteins a week, beef, chicken, salmon and tripe, kangaroo is the bulk, and sometimes I add in rabbit.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 5th 2018 at 4:38 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's popular in Vancouver where I am. We feed a commercially made raw, Red Dog Blue Kat which is made in Vancouver area form human grade meats.

The store we go to in Vancouver is called true carnivores, if you check their website you can get an idea of what is available in Canada for raw.

We chose a commercial raw as our dog in only 10 pounds, and its cheaper in the long run for us, and we lack freezer space. We rotate though several proteins a week, beef, chicken, salmon and tripe, kangaroo is the bulk, and sometimes I add in rabbit.
Is kangaroo farmed in BC? If not, wonder how it's "human grade" by BC standards.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is kangaroo farmed in BC? If not, wonder how it's "human grade" by BC standards.
It's wild kangaroo according to the label.

I can also buy wild kangaroo for human consumption and some of the higher end restaurants in Vancouver serve wild Australian kangaroo.

Wild Game Products - Hills Foods
Old Mar 5th 2018, 8:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When we had dogs they ate raw too. Kangaroo was the protein and I added cooked pumpkin and brown rice. My golden boy was allergic to a lot of kibble and it was the veterinary school animal hospital that told us about raw feeding.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 9:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by scilly
I agree ...........

I'm not a dog owner, but I do know that it might be possible that dog food is like human food ................... what you get in North America even if labelled as the same brand is NOT always the same.

Just ask any recent arrival over here about Cadbury's chocolate!

why not bring a small amount of her UK food over here and try gradually changing her over to a Canadian brand?
1. Because you can't import pet food.

Personal Imports

Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:
  • The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.
  • The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
  • The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.
  • The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When we had dogs they ate raw too. Kangaroo was the protein and I added cooked pumpkin and brown rice. My golden boy was allergic to a lot of kibble and it was the veterinary school animal hospital that told us about raw feeding.
The first 6 months we had Charlee, she barely ate, she would pick a few kibble here and there, and wasn't gaining weight, we tried pretty much every high end quality kibble, wet food and mixing wetfood with kibble and she still barely ate.

The vet suggested raw so we tried it, and she ate it and showed an interest in food for the first time, so we stuck with raw, she maintains a good weight on it, and as long as we rotate proteins through the week, she keeps interest.

Overall health is better, clear eyes, no doggy breath, small poops since more of the food is used and less waste, drinks less as raw food has a high moisture rate, no dog smell, clean teeth, soft fur and good skin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.