Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dog *not* in cargo with Air Canada?

Dog *not* in cargo with Air Canada?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog *not* in cargo with Air Canada?

Has anyone travelled recently with a dog on Air Canada as "baggage" but not "cargo"? They're telling me it's not possible from the UK but I've heard so much rubbish from their call centre people recently that I'm not inclined to believe a word of it.

The difference is price alone as far as I can see, and that you might hand your animal over at a slightly different location at the airport. It's 270 CAD for dog as "baggage" (which they won't let me book) and 900 GBP for the same dog as cargo!!!!!

Can't see anything in the archive, just wondering...

Thanks in anticipation

(I don't mean dog in the cabin)
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:31 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dog *not* in cargo with Air Canada?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Has anyone travelled recently with a dog on Air Canada as "baggage" but not "cargo"? They're telling me it's not possible from the UK but I've heard so much rubbish from their call centre people recently that I'm not inclined to believe a word of it.

The difference is price alone as far as I can see, and that you might hand your animal over at a slightly different location at the airport. It's 270 CAD for dog as "baggage" (which they won't let me book) and 900 GBP for the same dog as cargo!!!!!

Thanks in anticipation

hello ive just rung them two days ago were travelling in three weeks theres no problem $270cad each dog there flying with us on the same plane they wont let you send it as baggage if your not with it only cargo
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:36 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

the number in the uk i got told to ring was 0871 220 1111 they want to know the weight off the dog the weight of the crate dimensions and type of dog and theres a $30cad inspection fee at your end plus vaccination fee if you havent already had it done
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me your flight routing out of interest?

I've been ringing AC for months trying to sort out the dog, the plan was unaccompanied, which I fully accept he has to go as cargo for. But now I'm going over to the UK in the next fortnight and want to bring him back myself, and they're telling me he still has to go cargo, they say "all animals to or from the UK must be cargo" - which I've never heard before.

All ammo to ring back and confront the rudest call centre operator in all Canada with is most welcome, keep it coming!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:46 pm
Banned

I've been ringing AC for months trying to sort out the dog, the plan was unaccompanied, which I fully accept he has to go as cargo for. But now I'm going over to the UK in the next fortnight and want to bring him back myself, and they're telling me he still has to go cargo, they say "all animals to or from the UK must be cargo" - which I've never heard before.

All ammo to ring back and confront the rudest call centre operator in all Canada with is most welcome, keep it coming!
i havent booked the flight until i come back from canada in a week but were flying from heathrow direct to calgary get in touch with tiaribbon shes already done it and told me what to do it all went smooth for her
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:02 pm
Banned

hello again ive just rung them again for you they can travel as baggage as long as the animal doesnt weigh over 100lbs thats straight from cargo services at heathrow
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

It's been 7 years but my dog came over accompanied as excess baggage and $270 sounds about right. You will need to tell Cad customs that a vet inspection will be required on arrival
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

emma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura aboutemma69 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks in anticipation

I'd ring and ask again! It is possible that the agent was getting confused, as in Europe (not sure about rest of the world) dogs are allowed to travel as hand luggage, but NOT on flights to or from the UK. Maybe she was getting her wires crossed? I may be wrong, but I thought all small animals travelled in the same bit of the plane (ie heated, pressurised) so it may be just like our seats, low prices to start with, but when that fare is sold out, you have to pay the higher one? Just a guess on the second part there! Hopew you get it sorted
Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

third time lucky is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Biiiiink]Has anyone travelled recently with a dog on Air Canada as "baggage" but not "cargo"? They're telling me it's not possible from the UK but I've heard so much rubbish from their call centre people recently that I'm not inclined to believe a word of it.

We brought two dogs and a cat with us last November, Heathrow to Halifax. Each pet was 180.00 pounds, arranged in advance so they were on the same flight as us. I believe the price depends on the size of the dog/cage. We did have to book the pets through a different office but it was dependent on us flying the same flight.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:31 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

We're taking our two dogs on the same flight as us as excess baggage. As with the other posters, its £180 per dog on air Canada plus cost of crates.
We tried Zoom and they said dogs would have to go through a shiping company which would cost £1500! I would phone AC in UK and sort it out.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks all. After 4 phonecalls to Air Canada they finally agree that I can take the dog as "excess baggage" for 180 GBP rather than as "cargo" for 860 GBP. This is Glasgow-Toronto-Winnipeg. Phew!

We're booked on the last flight out of GLA for the season...I hope to goodness they don't screw up or it's the SSPCA for the mutt

(kidding, don't send me hate PMs!).

Will report back in due course.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:05 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Biiink,

Glad to hear you have sorted this all out now. I went with BA and they were great the whole way.....but they did also give me duff information once regarding travelling the pets. I knew it was rubbish and I called them back and spoke to someone who actually knew what they were talking about and all was sorted. I have never heard of anyone flying AC being told what you were told, so I think you may just have been unlucky and spoken to a newbie.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:12 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying out with our 12 yr old border collie on Air Transat 13th October. The cost as baggage was $65!

I have also just ordered a carrier box from www.doghealth.co.uk/newpage21.htm

at £65.50 inc p&p, for a box 36"L x 24"W x 29"H , IATA approved.

The make was Stylette - Espre, but they also do Varikennels at very good prices.

These are the best prices I have found anywhere!!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think so Tia, the first one admitted she didn't know, the second one said she'd a memorandum in front of her saying all dogs to and and from the UK *had* to be cargo, the third one was in India I think and also said cargo, the fourth one knew exactly what was what and got me, child and dog booked up in no time!!! No cargo at all

I nearly booked with Air Transat Morw, and guess what, they also told me no dogs out of the UK. I read them their own website and they said it must be wrong. I said I knew people who had booked pets with them recently and they said it must be a mistake. The "supervisor" came on the line and confirmed no pets out of the UK. I had a strop, they gave me the seat allocation department number to ring and I got someone there who said "Course we take pets out of the UK, we've got space for 5 per flight - shall I book you one?"!!!!

Sad to realise you get same the crappy service and ignorance here as there, albeit with a smile

The only worrying thing is it's one kennel per 767 on the transatlantic sector and I don't have any proof of it being booked as it's an eTicket and the dog is not payable until I check in at Glasgow. It's the last flight out of there for the season so no leeway if anything goes wrong. Still, I'm hopeful it won't :scared:

Thanks again all.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 3:15 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Don't worry about the e-ticket - that was all I had too. There is some reason why you have to pay for them at the check-in desk but I am blowed if I can remember why! Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.